Rieju 50cc conversion

Well it's the right time for an e-foil now, enjoy the water, enjoy the summer and make time to fly across the water as much as possible this summer. Been thinking of ways to make an jet board/e-wake board/surf board without finding the right solutions. Ready made's are selling for 10 000 + USD. Way to steep for me. If I could get 30 minutes of run time for less then 3-4 000 ish $ I would pull the trigger. But it ain't gonna be this summer. Now I just ride bikes all the time. I will read you efoil thread. Haven't really considered an efoil after had a brief test ride last fall, those foils where tough to ride "flying". And as soon as it felt I was in control and shifted more weight towards the back to get more lift, I ended up belly flopping into the ocean. But I am sure it will be a great feeling when mastering the basic.

Yeah size matters :) or so I've been told.
Anyhow, don't be afraid, I am an old man not getting any younger, you might tackle the foil thingy much faster. And who knows, if I had more time to play around, I might have cracked to foil code and figured out how to ride it.

Make sure you get enough power. I've heard from others that have tested e-foils that models with more power are the most easy to learn and to find the balance, guess throttle control and a snappy motor can counter act poor balance or less then perfect movement s on the board or too sudden weight transfer. I've done my share of snowboards, kiting and wakeboard so I must say I was kind of surprised the efoil was so hard to master. I guess the foil is a vastly smaller surface then ordinary boards so how and where you stand will pay more dividends then on other boards that can be more forgiven.

Didn't Matt (davinci drive) venture into e-foils a few years back, or was it e-jet boards? Wonder if he ever completed his project?

macribs said:
.. you might tackle the foil thingy much faster.
Didn't Matt (davinci drive) venture into e-foils a few years back, or was it e-jet boards? Wonder if he ever completed his project?

i’ll have to practice quite a bit, have always been a slow but steady learner :wink:

I never read the watercraft threads, wasn’t my cup of tea but when i learned about the lift efoil 12000$ price tag.. :shock:
I just had to build one. In a few years time they’ll cost 2-3000$ and be mainstream, building one won’t be any fun then.

Hehe with me totally the other way around. I would much prefer the get a ready made one, 2-3-4.000 $, order one and be done with it. The "sur-ron" of e-watercraft if you will. But I don't think that will happen any day soon. I am for sure not sinking north of 10 000$ like the ready one ships for today. Too rich for me for just a toy for those sunny days. Not only for sunny days, but you need to have time off to be able to use it so probably more of a holiday or weekend toy for the short nordic summer. Diy is the only way at this time at least.

For another project I was in contact with the company that makes the motors that matt uses for the davinci drives, those astro motors. And those guys could actually make custom variations of any of their motors. Like make em wider, two on the same axle etc. But the price sky rocketed for custom work, and those are not really cheap to begin with. The one they recommended for high power applications was a 4xxx motor. Iirc correct that was about a 2000 $ motor stock - then add custom work. And where do you find controllers capable of handling 25-35 kw of high rpm motor? Possible the nuclear big daddy controller? Will it handle the e-rpm?

The thing is, if there ain't any new light weight, compact high power motors I don't know about yet, an electric water craft with enough torque to make if fun and hi enough top speed to make you wanna ride it it's gonna be a lot of money just for the parts alone. Other then that it would an amazing projects. I have vast experience working with composite material, carbon fibers and fiberglass so that part of the project would be very fun. But motor, controller, and battery pack will eat a lot a cash. Maybe you are actually on the best path already? An e-foil have a very little wet surface contact and little drag from water when the thing is flying above the water and should need less power, and possible even be able to use less cells while still getting decent ride time. Maybe I keep a close eye on your project and just see what works and how you manage the foil aspect.

Have you seen any math for e-water crafts like e-surf/wake/long/e-foil what kind of power is needed to have fun? And I don't mean fun in the EU 250w category - that ain't even close to any fun, I am thinking more like upgraded sur-ron fun. :)

macribs said:
.. Have you seen any math for e-water crafts like e-surf/wake/long/e-foil what kind of power is needed to have fun? And I don't mean fun in the EU 250w category - that ain't even close to any fun, I am thinking more like upgraded sur-ron fun. :)

I’ll learn to crawl before i walk :wink: Let’s see first if the board flies! Please make any further posts in the efoil thread so we keep the Rieju thread on topic :D

Just checked in to see whats new. And I remembered your foil thread. Very nice.

Enjoy low altitude flying. :thumb:

mopedwise? Kinda lost the interest a bit since efoiling was so much fun! :wink:
Also corona has put me at home for the most part so i don't need the moped for commuting.

I'll skip the 32s BMS and just have a balance board for each 10s module, less high voltage wiring and if a balancer pops then it won't damage the battery, at least this is my plan :D

macribs said:
Hehe with me totally the other way around. I would much prefer the get a ready made one, 2-3-4.000 $, order one and be done with it. The "sur-ron" of e-watercraft if you will. But I don't think that will happen any day soon. I am for sure not sinking north of 10 000$ like the ready one ships for today. Too rich for me for just a toy for those sunny days. Not only for sunny days, but you need to have time off to be able to use it so probably more of a holiday or weekend toy for the short nordic summer. Diy is the only way at this time at least.

I'm considering building efoils or simple kits in that price range. It's possible to do efoils with about an hour ride time and a quite nice board and foil for that but some of the bling factor of a 10.000$ flite board will be hard to fit.
Only issue for me would be scaling the operation, want to keep it viable but small and with some fun left in it if i do it.

Back