Rim brake toe-in setting

EZgo

1 W
IMG_0019.JPGI JUST INSTALLED A NEW SET OF KOOL STOP DUAL COMPOUND MOUNTAIN PADS. Although I never had an issue with the standerd V- Brakes pads on my e bike I installed these for greater all weather stopping power.
After recently bumping my Lyen controller from a 30 amps setting to 40 amps & raising my top speed to just south of 40 mph. I decided upgrading my brakes would be the prudent thing to do. That said, these pads are absolutely amazing. Using 2 fingers I can stop my bike faster than using a whole hand death grip with the stock brakes & the modulation is excellent.

My question is about setting the toe-in of the pads. To eliminate a very bad squeal I set the leading edge (the orange part that contacts the rim first) which completely eliminated the squeal so problem solved. BUT after viewing a Kool Stop instructional video they describe setting the toe-in as adjusting the trailing edge (the black part) to touch the rim first which is the opposite of what I did.

SEE Proper Rim Pad Mounting and Toe-In http://www.koolstop.com/
KOOLstop.jpg

Which way is the correct way?

For the record:
I also upgraded a few other things. Starting with my rear 9C hub motor I took it apart & installed a thermosistor from Grin, activated CA V3 temp setting & set to 90 / 140. I also added 4 oz of Ferafluid from Luna.
The biggest difference however comes from replacing my 26x2.10 Kenda kwick rollers with 26x2.50 Maxxis Hookworms which are also absolutely amazing. They are dead silent with excellent turn-in & grip. They also offer a very smooth ride & at 50 psi seem to roll as well as my Kendas did at 60 psi. They are quite large & you'll have to re-calibrate your speedometer if you use one but I highly recommend them. I also installed a MR Tuffy Ultra Light tire liner on the rear.

The long end of the pad points towards the back of the bike. It has an angled tip to help you set an appropriate amount of toe-in angle on the pad as a whole.

EZgo said:
To eliminate a very bad squeal I set the leading edge (the orange part that contacts the rim first) which completely eliminated the squeal so problem solved. BUT after viewing a Kool Stop instructional video they describe setting the toe-in as adjusting the trailing edge (the black part) to touch the rim first which is the opposite of what I did.
AFAIK the leading edge is the black part (as the longer bit goes to the back).

So, yes the leading edge touches first (hence "toe-in" rather than "toe-out"), then the rotation of the rim pulls on that while you squeeze the lever which pulls the pads the rest of the way flat to the rim.

For our "rainy" seasons here, I sometimes reverse that, and toe-out, so taht the trailing edge contacts first and scrapes the water and road contamination off the rim, which helps braking start sooner when it's pouring rain and I'm in traffic. But that's only if the little raised rear bit of the KS pads is worn off and it's all flat now, because the little raised bit does that job for me if it's still there.

Back