RMZ 450 electric conversion

Elektrosherpa said:
Oh f***.......
What a desaster.
Sorry to hear that.

Was the bike connected to some external source (e.g. for charging) when it started to burn,
or did it do that "on it's own"?

It had been charged 1h30 prior to the fire and was disconnected from the charger.

j bjork said:
Oh, that is horrible :(

I hope the insurance pays for the garage at least.

It looks like there was no extra protection between the copper sheets and the battery cells?

Theres was the plastic spacer and epoxy

Looks like alot of copper overhang in corner areas id be keen to see more on how that pack was mounted in its alloy enclosure.

Sorry
But the insurance question is relevant.
Are they covering it?
I had bad enough issues with mt trailer (26ft silver streak) needing separate coverage
not to mention liability, though a separate issue

Insurance can pull the plug whenever they like in reality here in uk.

Anything thats not ce approved burns your gouse down on your own head it be, meddling with appliances thats not allowed either and nstional power reserve the right to terminate the supply of anyone found doing so.

Say for example your own solar installation takes you off grid you still have to comply to 18th edition wiring standards on all new installations and need signing off and inspection prior through out the build or the guy that signed it off takes the court case for not complying with good practices he then will habe to exolain why it was not practical to follow the rule book of the judge says your lazy you dangerous etc manslaughter is a possibility.

As for appliances that you make if they are kept in a shed away from the home theres a whole different claim route and only a maximum allowance set with the insurance is to be paid unless you have made an agreement like mentioned boat or trailer etc and theres small print in them too.

mathygreen said:
Hi from US. thats a really nice bike with decent performance.

I'm trying to build a bike also with the qs 138 90h so i wonder were did you get that small sprocket for the motor?

Mine come with 14 tooth only and cant find anywere to buy a smaler like 11 or even 12 tooth.

I made it on the lathe.

mathygreen said:
Hi from US. thats a really nice bike with decent performance.

I'm trying to build a bike also with the qs 138 90h so i wonder were did you get that small sprocket for the motor?

Mine come with 14 tooth only and cant find anywere to buy a smaler like 11 or even 12 tooth.

What are the dimensions of the shaft?

Sad to see that. Hope it gets rebuilt in a better way!

Did you ever try this motor with the full 800A phase current?

I am curious since i haven’t seen a single build where anyone burnt one of these motor from overcurrent

ASI's have been known to spontaneously combust without warning on occasion, especially after going for a seemly innocent and successful first ride, main reason im scared to touch one really

matt912836 said:
ASI's have been known to spontaneously combust without warning on occasion, especially after going for a seemly innocent and successful first ride, main reason im scared to touch one really

In my case the controller was not the problem. It still work even if it is a little bit melt.

Sorry for your loss my friend!
Such a beautiful machine you made that seemed to perform great!

Blessings it got the garage without taking the house too.

Corrosion effects, and/or thermal expansion-contraction related chaffing or dielectric creeping can induce latent thermal runaway in packs. Dirtbike packs are as challenging as batteries get to keep alive with respect to vibration/chaffing/corrosion.

ervinjason said:
Im trying to build a bike also with the qs 138 90h so i wonder were did you get that small sprocket for the motor?

If you read the whole build thread (which is really not long), you will find the answer...

Wow what a beautiful build, hopefully it doesn’t discourage you from building again. Any ideas on the exact mode of failure yet? Seems so bizarre to go up just sitting there, only thing I could think is one of the fuses came undone or something shorted out a group together and started the chain reaction. Not sure how all cables were routed etc, could have been bad electrical connection causing excess heat somewhere…causes melt of heat shrink etc. and made bare metal contact? Hope all is well and that insurance helped out a bit:/.

Back