Running multiple Li-Po battery packs in parallel

robinhood

1 mW
Hi,

I am using a 48V 25Ah Li NMC battery pack to run a 1kW BLDC motor at 1C discharge current. I am replacing my motor with a 5kW unit to suit my needs. I want to use 4 of these 48V 25Ah battery packs in parallel (also at 1C discharge) to power my new motor. Is there a need for a master BMS apart from the BMS already present in each of these battery packs to control the discharge of the packs? I also wanted to know if there will be any problems running the 4 battery packs in paralle as I am trying this for the first time.

Any suggestions/technical advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Should be able to simply parallel the outputs of all five packs directly, though I'd add a fuse (probably a 30-40 amp, rated at least the fully-charged DC voltage of your packs) on the output of each pack if it doesn't have one, just in case of a wiring fault or other failure within the pack itself, so it can't cause a problem with any of the others.

If any pack has an internal issue, it's own BMS will shut down it's output, disconnecting it from the system. This is good, but...it means all the other packs will then take a portion of the load it previously had, pushing each one a little harder. Not a problem as long as your packs are rated for the usage, but as you get closer to empty the voltage sag will be worse than normal, and may cause other packs to cut out, increasing the load on remaining packs further.

(I suppose the main thing is that you won't know that any particular pack is no longer outputting power when this happens, unless the BMS happens to have a status LED on it that you could wire up to something external you can actually see while using the system).

FWIW, five ~1kwh packs is a pretty huge mass and volume (my ~2kwh pack on SB Cruiser is almost 40lbs). Out of curiosity, what are they running?

Firstly, thanks a lot for your answer and suggestions!

I am planning to use these to power a 5kW motor in electric vehicle application. Hence the high requirement. I use Li-NMC packs and they're not very heavy, a 2kWh pack weighs around 20lbs

To prevent the issue of overloading the other packs in case of failure of a single unit, is it better to use a master BMS that will control the power output of these four battery packs and cut-off in case there is a single pack failure? I am talking about a BMS in addition to the ones already present in each of the battery packs. I could run them in parallel through this parallel BMS. Or is it just an unnecessary addition that will increase my costs?

Thanks in advance!

robinhood said:
I am planning to use these to power a 5kW motor in electric vehicle application.
What vehicle?

I'm using mine on a (large and unfortunately heavy) custom-built electric cargo & dog-hauler trike, the SB Cruiser linked in my signature.

I use Li-NMC packs and they're not very heavy, a 2kWh pack weighs around 20lbs
Mine are also NMC (28x EIG 20Ah pouch cells); I think just my cells weigh somewhere around 30+lbs, then the busbars and cell holders (also by EIG) add several pounds more.

Which cells are you using to get them so light?

To prevent the issue of overloading the other packs in case of failure of a single unit, is it better to use a master BMS that will control the power output of these four battery packs and cut-off in case there is a single pack failure? I am talking about a BMS in addition to the ones already present in each of the battery packs. I could run them in parallel through this parallel BMS. Or is it just an unnecessary addition that will increase my costs?
It's not really necessary. Adds significant cost (because now you need a BMS that can by itself handle all the current of all the packs, or that can run a contactor to switch the paralleled output) and complication (lots of extra balance wires running out of each pack to the master BMS, etc).

If you wanted to, you could use optocouplers (so there is no direct voltage / current path from any pack's sensitive BMS parts to any other, in case of failures or wiring shorts) and link the BMSs so that if any one of them triggers for an LVC, it tells all the others to turn off, too. I don't know exactly how complicated that would get, but probably not very.

Personally, I don't even use a BMS, because the cells I have stay balanced in my application (rarely discharged all the way down, only once so far in 2-3 years of use), and I would rather damage the pack than have it cut off while I'm in traffic and really have to get out of the way (or else get hit or run over). ;)

You *can* use something like the Cycle Analyst from Grin Tech, which can limit current or power based on presets (and maybe from the aux input; can't remember), then use that optocoupler circuit to bring the BMS enable/disable monitor lines out to a circuit that changes the preset from "normal" to "limp home" mode once a pack shuts down, reducing current draw from the system to reduce load on the batteries and ensure you have range to get back home or at least to an outlet to charge, instead of just suddenly being stuck where you are.

A simpler way is that if the packs have an LED on the BMS board, you can wire that out to somewhere that you can see them while you ride, so when the LED indicates a pack has shutdown, you'll at least know that, and can yourself decide what to do. A bit like having the Add Fuel / Gas Tank Low light come on in an ICE car.

BTW, sorry I misunderstood the number of packs. I assumed from the original statement that you were using 1kWh packs, because you said you were running the first one at 1C on a 1kW motor, and then said you were going to run more (four) of the same packs at 1C on a 5kW motor. That led me to assume you were going to *add* four more to the original.

But if you're actually going to be running four 2kWh packs, then that will be much less than 1C per pack.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will look into using optocouplers as you mentioned.

What vehicle?
Its a three wheeler that weighs around 600lbs and a payload of another 600lbs

Which cells are you using to get them so light?
These are 18650 NMC cells that I use in 13s12p configuration. Haven't packed it myself, got it sourced from a supplier.

Personally, I don't even use a BMS, because the cells I have stay balanced in my application
I think using a smart BMS is necessary for my application because these packs are going to be shifted around multiple such vehicles in their lifetime. It would be better managed with BMS is my take on it.

A simpler way is that if the packs have an LED on the BMS board, you can wire that out to somewhere that you can see them while you ride, so when the LED indicates a pack has shutdown, you'll at least know that, and can yourself decide what to do. A bit like having the Add Fuel / Gas Tank Low light come on in an ICE car.
Definitely a good idea. More of a feedback mechanism. I am looking to minimize these occurrences using a feed forward system in the circuitry to prevent failures as much as possible.

Another query is that while using these packs in parallel, there is a possibility of current flow between the packs due to slight differences in their voltages. Even if I charge fully, they will still have minor differences in voltage and when connected in parallel, might lead to current flow between them. Is this a bad thing? Any suggestions in this regard considering long term usage of these packs?

Thanks in advance!

robinhood said:
Its a three wheeler that weighs around 600lbs and a payload of another 600lbs
A bit bigger than my SB Cruiser then. ;) (I've hauled more than that in a trailer, but not on the trike itself).

Do you have any pictures? I'm always curious about heavy cargo haulers.

Another query is that while using these packs in parallel, there is a possibility of current flow between the packs due to slight differences in their voltages. Even if I charge fully, they will still have minor differences in voltage and when connected in parallel, might lead to current flow between them. Is this a bad thing? Any suggestions in this regard considering long term usage of these packs?
If you charge them in parallel like you use them in parallel, then they won't be different voltages at pack level.

Even if you charge them with separate chargers (and their BMSs have separate charge and discharge ports) but leave them hooked up to the trike via the discharge port, then unless something is seriously wrong with a pack (or it's charger) and it fails to charge close to fully, there's not going to be enough of a voltage difference to cause a high enough current to worry about.

The only issue to worry about is:
--assuming all packs are still tied together at their discharge ports, and
--if a pack does have a problem, and
--it's BMS has shut off teh charge port to prevent charging because of a low cell, or a really high cell that's very full or even over full but isn't draining during balance (broken balance channel on BMS, etc)
--then as other packs charge higher than that pack, the current will begin to flow into the low pack via it's discharge port, which it's BMS cannot turn off for an HVC (charging) problem (it can only do that for the discharge port).

If the packs have common charge/discharge ports, instead of separate ones, this is not an issue, because it's designed specifically to block flow either way whenever it needs to. However, this usually means using a single charger for all of them. (you may be able to simply parallel all of your chargers; that's what I do for faster charging of my packs, is to parallel a couple of them for twice the charging current...but normally I just use the one built-into-the-trike unit).

Do you have any pictures? I'm always curious about heavy cargo haulers.
I don't have any pictures unfortunately. You could look up "tuk tuks" on the internet. My application is on a similar looking vehicle.

Thank you for the other suggestions. Will look into the issues you have mentioned!

Back