• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

SCAMS

Recently i decided to build myself an ebike but the only way to do this financially was to sell my KTM 300 Motorbike. I have had several interests in it but one guy was just to good to be true. After recieving his emails and 3 emails from paypal i decided to ring paypal only to have them tell me its totally fake and a scam.
Take a look at this and imagine just how many people have fallen to this scam. This is one of the emails i recived from a fake email account.

Informatio​n on how to complete your recent PayPal Merchant Payment Transactio​n

service@paypal.com.au

18:15 (4 hours ago)

[image: PayPal] [image: Bankwest] Dear Wayne R Clark (w.r.clark72@gmail.com),...

Wayne Clark <w.r.clark72@gmail.com>

21:35 (57 minutes ago)

to phishing

On Oct 30, 2013 6:15 PM, "service@paypal.com.au" <paypal@autocustomersupports.com> wrote:

Dear Wayne R Clark (w.r.clark72@gmail.com),

Thank you for using PayPal Merchant Payment. We would like to inform you that this transaction ID: 2DD387996K4784352 is legitimate and has been confirmed by PayPal Security Department.

You are now mandated to transfer the total sum of $950.00 AUD via Moneygram to the Pickup Agent and forward us the transfer details such as.

1) Sender's Name
2) 8 digit Reference Number
3) Amount Transferred

Below is your buyer's Private Shipping Headquarters Information to transfer the funds to via Moneygram:

First Name: CHUN HUI
Last Name: HU
Address: 801 Jiefang Bei Road
City: YueXiu Dist
State: Guangzhou

Post Code: 510382

Please Note: Your buyer's private shipping company headquarters is in China and all fees is paid directly to their headquarters before pickup date & time is scheduled with your buyer's local Pickup Agent.

Visit the nearest Moneygram Agent Location or click the following link to get the nearest location to you:
http://www.moneygram.com.au/Documents/au/locator-map.html

Once this requirement is met in the next 12 hours, your Bankwest Account No: 00***** will be credited immediately.

We are doing this to protect you and your buyer as stated in the New PayPal Policy and Agreement. We will reflect the funds in your bank account as soon as we receive and verify the Moneygram reference No: of ($950.00AUD) for the Pickup Agent fees as requested by your buyers private shipping company headquarters. You are therefore advice not to send the Moneygram information to your buyer for safety reasons.
Once again, thank you for using PayPal Merchant Payment.

Sincerely,
PayPal

Copyright © 1999-2013 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal Australia Pty Limited ABN 93 111 195 389 (AFSL 304962).

PayPal Email ID PP1530

This is the other part of the email explaining what the extra $966 was for, the idea is to send them the shipping then they will refund you the money, lol.

BUYER
Mitchell Morrison
mitchellmorrison@hotmail.com.au

Pickup Agent Headquarters - Confirmed
CHUN HUI HU
801 Jiefang Bei Road
YueXiu Dist, Guangzhou 510382
China

Note to seller
I have included my Pickup Agent fees. Thanks

Seller Protection
Eligible

Description

Purchase Date

Unit price

Qty

Amount

BIKE

Oct 30, 2013

$3,200.00 AUD

$3,200.00 AUD

Subtotal

$3,200.00 AUD

Pickup Agent fees

$950.00 AUD

Moneygram transfer charges

$16.00 AUD

Tax

--
Total

$4,166.00 AUD

Payment

$4,166.00 AUD

Payment sent to Bankwest Account No: 00*****

Sincerely,
PayPal

The ol Nigerian trick. I still have a check for $5000 I got sent once, when trying to sell something on the internet. About 10 years ago, lots of these scams originated in Nigeria.

Seemed to me like something was very fishy, when the guy mails me this check for too much money. I then did some reading, and it was obviously the same scam. In my case, I was to send the excess money, by money order, to a US address. It just made no sense at all. If you can write a check to me, why this send me too much deal? Write another check to yourself dude.

I HAVE HAD THEE SCAMMERS TRY ME FOM CRAIGSLIST.... ONE WAS BUYING MY CAR TO SHIP IT TO HIS FATHER IN THE uk :?: al were saying that they pay by Paypal

they say paypal but advise to use a money order...

no thanks,,

Iv been scammed once with slightly illegal products, my own fault.

Never with anything else, If someone sells me something with pp, They can send me an invoice from paypal that gets delivered to my pp account

Well this was the 1st time ive been hit like this, Ive purchased many items over the net and sold just as many but never had this happen before.
I new something wasnt right when i rang a local Sydney number to contact them instead of the usual 1800 or 1300 number Paypal uses.

My greatest concern is that i had 2 phone numbers from this and both were Australian Phone numbers yet the police didnt want to know anything about it and told me to go to a site called Scamstoppers. The problem with this is it would take too long for anything to be done i think and none of these people will ever get caught and will just keep on trying to rip people off.

I advertised my Bike on a site called Gumtree and once i called them and sent them an email with the fake PayPal invoice they actually put an alert out on there web page warning people of this Scam and even published the guys contact details and name.

Its a shame we have to live in this world with people like this.

Back