Schwinn Izip key switch modification

RebelPrinter

100 µW
I'm working on an iZip, and the controller only has 3 cables to it. I am guessing pair of 2-wires are bake lever, and the 3-wire is throttle. (Pic below). The switch I have is off of a Pride mobility scooter so no IDEA of the rating except "low", they dont publish tech info. Can I assume I am pretty safe cutting into the black wire from the throttle and splicing the key switch in there ? Longest range iZip ever, and heaviest LMAO. 24v/33aH SLA's. <edit> Right now the only way to un-power the system is to unplug the batteries, and thats not practical long term since they will be enclosed and under a bobber seat.

Attachments

• switch.JPG
    switch.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 8
  • batts.JPG
    batts.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Can I assume I am pretty safe cutting into the black wire from the throttle and splicing the key switch in there ?
A typical throttle has a 5v input, a ground, and a signal wire, if the ground wire is open/interrupted, the signal wire will go high (full throttle).

Disabling the throttle won't disconnect the battery though. You need to disconnect the power between the battery and the controller. If the switch you have is not rated high enough for the battery voltage, there may be arcing between the switch contacts. But 24V is not that high, so I doubt that will happen. And, of course, the switch has to be rated for the current (Amps) between the battery and the controller. 24V controllers are dirt cheap, so you could just buy a new controller with a switch lock function. You just have to know what kind of motor: brushed/brushless, sensor/sensorless.

Back