Scooter Help needed please

Jason1974

1 µW
Hi everyone, new member here!
I'm looking for advice about a recently acquired scooter if anyone can help.
Firstly, the scooter is dual 1600w motors running from a 60v battery, the battery has 2 outlets to 2 seperate 35 amp controllers.
However there was no power, it suddenly lost any power to the halo throttle control.
I unplugged the controller A to test voltage and all was fine, plugged it back in and a large spark :bolt: happens so left it unplugged.
Then just out of interest I put the multimeter on pos and neg from the controller connection to the battery and it is showing a short circuit, it spreads all the way through to the key switch.
My question is.
Can I test out the halo throttle with a direct 60 v supply or will it be supplied on a lower voltage supply?at the moment I want to test other components to make sure there not fried!
And is it common for a controller to short between pos and negative?
Also can't source a 1600w 35 amp controller that runs on 60volts, any ideas of an alternative please?

Thanks in advance, any help appreciated

If it had been a true short, it would have blown away one or both of the plugs, and left you with lots of smoke and a bad smell.

It's normal for motor controllers to spark on plug-in, due to rapid charging of the capacitors. There are anti-spark connectors available to remedy this.

Hi thanks for the reply, yes it melted the connector almost instantly,the wiring is a mess on this thing.
Think I need to start from scratch and source 2 alternative controllers to match the motors.

Search for 36-72V controllers. There are lots of them.

Back