Sensorless controller options, >60V, >20A, torque throttle

glennb

1 kW
G’day all.

I have a couple of sensorless Bafang BPM front hub motors, and an application that they’d be suited to.

I do not have compatible controllers, or any experience with them.

I haven’t begun researching the options yet. I was kind of hoping someone here could point me straight at a good one, which I’d immediately buy and be done with it.

Failing that, any pointers that would save me time finding controllers would be very welcome. That might include what to avoid, such as “product X is junk, do not bother with it”.

Thanks

Phaserunner / Baserunner could do that.

VESC in general could do it, but I don't know specific vendors well enough to say which would be better.

ASI's BAC line is what the PR/BR are based on, but with less-comprehensible/user-friendly setup software.

Cheers AW. I’ve always coveted a phase runner, and playing around with VESC was just about inevitable at some time, as in there was eventually going to be a project that demanded it. Although I always imagined it’d be for the small form factor, never that it’d be for sensorless capability.

I’ll order one, and hope it doesn’t take too many hours to tune. Unless it’s feasible to add hall sensors to these motors instead. It’s tight in them, I don’t know that there’s sufficient clearance.

I’ll post pics and measure. Perhaps you could then tell me what you think WRT adding hall sensors?

I don’t know if basic trapezoidal controllers are worth considering. The motors were removed from service due to sheared nylon teeth - not munched, snapped clean off and embedded in the sun gear - and I intend to push them hard, as left side mid-drives with 3:1 reduction, hauling 200kg up a hill. I’m confident there’ll be adequate torque if it’s possible to fine tune them up to the tooth shearing point. I need to buy new nylon gears anyway, so will order spares for testing.

The appeal of these motors is the “200w” inscriptions, which means I can legally use them with throttle and no PAS. They were from postal delivery bikes.

Anyway, they’re well packed with copper that pretty well scrapes on the side cover. There’s barely a millimeter to spare. Would I need a different side cover to add hall sensors? Is there another location they could be added? Would these procedures be more time-consuming than learning how to use VESC? Am I asking the right questions?

Attachments

• IMG_0481.jpeg
    IMG_0481.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0482.jpeg
    IMG_0482.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0484.jpeg
    IMG_0484.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0492.jpeg
    IMG_0492.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Cheers AW. I’ve always coveted a phase runner, and playing around with VESC was just about inevitable at some time, as in there was eventually going to be a project that demanded it. Although I always imagined it’d be for the small form factor, never that it’d be for sensorless capability.

I’ll order one, and hope it doesn’t take too many hours to tune.
The PRv6 and PRv1 I have here both autotuned the Ultramotors I've used with them (one from a Stromer, two from A2B's), and I haven't had to do any other tuning to get them to drive the SB Cruiser trike. I'm sure I could tinker with the tuning and make it "better" but I prefer not to mess with it if I don't have to. ;) There *are* some issues with how they do things that I would like to change, but it's probably just their nature, vs my desires. (there's a recent ongoing thread on that somewhere).

I use them with hall sensors, but have also used them sensorless (including on a GMAC), and it's about like any ohter sensorless...if you're already moving in the direction you want to go, it's probably going to startup ok. If you're sitting still and try to get moving, they get confused as often as not.

I've never used the VESC, so no idea how good it's autotune or sensorless features are, other than various posts around here that describe them.

Unless it’s feasible to add hall sensors to these motors instead. It’s tight in them, I don’t know that there’s sufficient clearance.

I’ll post pics and measure. Perhaps you could then tell me what you think WRT adding hall sensors?

Installing them isn't likely too difficult, but getting the wires for them out might be tough--you'd probably have to modify the axle on the other side of the motor to pass them out there, so you don't weaken the axle on this side any further with a deeper channel to fit them in with the phase wires.

You can look at other sensored hubmotors to see how and where they placed their halls relative to the stator teeth for various numbers of teeth vs magnet poles, and see if you can just copy one of those. Notching the teeth to fit the halls in is probably the hardest part, avoiding damage to the windings, etc., you'll probably have to pull the stator out of the magnet rotor/bell to do this, if they didn't notch the stator laminations for halls at the factory (probably not).

I don’t know if basic trapezoidal controllers are worth considering. The motors were removed from service due to sheared nylon teeth - not munched, snapped clean off and embedded in the sun gear - and I intend to push them hard, as left side mid-drives with 3:1 reduction, hauling 200kg up a hill. I’m confident there’ll be adequate torque if it’s possible to fine tune them up to the tooth shearing point. I need to buy new nylon gears anyway, so will order spares for testing.

Sheared off teeth is probably from shock loads--sudden full application of power. That can be minimized by keeping a tiny amount of phase current always present to keep the teeth "wound up", and ramping up phase current from that point to whatever drive current you're using at that moment.

Munched is usually from plastic that got warm enough to deform first, then bits come off and get in the way of other teeth and mess up lots of stuff.

Really hot plastic can just strip all the teeth off, turning them into cylinders instead. :/

Thank you AW.

I had no idea a phaserunner would be suitable, let alone simple to setup. AUD$650 though. The alternatives would need to be incredibly complicated and compromised to be able to justify that outlay.

So I’ll have to explore VESC. Hopefully find a tutorial to get a feel for how involved it is to configure.

And in the meantime take a closer look at the motors to see whether the modifications you described for adding sensors are feasible.

It’s impossible to be certain of what caused the tooth shear, but these would have been used with crude controllers, for sure. Their use case was the harshest possible, accelerating away from one letterbox to the next, perhaps a thousand times a day, for years. And it’s probable that the motors went through multiple gear sets before being retired.

So, perhaps I’m not giving the nylon teeth enough credit? I know very little about the properties of nylon. Could the teeth shear be due to repeated stress cycles from all the hard accelerations? Rather than a single instance of overloading? Or even the grease used causing the nylon to weaken?

It’d be great to get away with using a cheap controller, and I’ve no problem with breaking a few gears in testing their limits. (I’d be doing this in any case, to maximise performance with whatever controller is used).

I’m starting to consider the option of progressively filing down shunts on a cheap controller to reduce current to whatever level the gears can survive from stall.

Gears are kind of a wear item on geared hub motors. Excess heat will accelerate their demise.
Consider seeing if you can get spares before going forward with these motors.

This motor has half of the poles of a MAC. Therefore, cheap controllers should drive it fine.
I never use cheap controllers so i don't have one to recommend.

I had no idea a phaserunner would be suitable, let alone simple to setup. AUD$650 though. The alternatives would need to be incredibly complicated and compromised to be able to justify that outlay.
If I didn't get mine the way I did, I wouldn't have any either. :lol: :oops:

Simple kinda depends on the system, but the software is pretty easy to use, compared to pretty much any other controller software I've ever used or seen here on the forum (except possibly VESCtool, which I haven't used myself).

So I’ll have to explore VESC. Hopefully find a tutorial to get a feel for how involved it is to configure.
VESCProject website should have plenty of stuff, and you can download the setup software VESCtool free and play with it first to see how it works.

It’s impossible to be certain of what caused the tooth shear, but these would have been used with crude controllers, for sure. Their use case was the harshest possible, accelerating away from one letterbox to the next, perhaps a thousand times a day, for years. And it’s probable that the motors went through multiple gear sets before being retired.
I'd actually bet on them never being repaired, just retired to storage as they failed...but I don't know if your locality's bureaucracy is better than ours. ;) If they were repaired, you'd probably see signs of the cases being opened, at least small ones. Most mechanics / techs I've ever worked with of any kind don't have a lot of respect for the screw heads, and tend to leave marks on them from using wrong size drivers, etc., on them.

So, perhaps I’m not giving the nylon teeth enough credit? I know very little about the properties of nylon. Could the teeth shear be due to repeated stress cycles from all the hard accelerations? Rather than a single instance of overloading? Or even the grease used causing the nylon to weaken?

The grease almost certainly wouldn't cause an issue, but repeated stress does, as does heating (which softens the plastic) and cold (which brittles it). These types of gears can take a lot...but there's limits.

They also wear in normal use, but some people here on ES have used the same geared hubmotor for thousands of miles (possibly tens of) without wearing it out or breaking it.

FWIW, the "350w" Fusin geared hub I started out with on DayGlo Avenger's first hubmotor setup was run at more than twice that, accelerating hard with high loads on the bike (nothing like my SB Cruiser, but still more than typical bicycle). I overheated it enough to cause the halls to stop working (but not fail) more than once, without melting the gears, and the thing that finally broke was the steel clutch, not the gears. ;)

Thanks again. You’ve given me confidence in the gears. The bafang clutch is draggy, but otherwise seems ok. So, I’m going to order a cheap dual mode controller to get the ball rolling while investigating VESC.

I’ve had a quick look for dual mode controllers with 100V mosfets, and they seem to be all at least 35A, mostly 40-50A. So, probably need to reduce this.

Gears are kind of a wear item on geared hub motors. Excess heat will accelerate their demise.
Consider seeing if you can get spares before going forward with these motors.
Yep, I’ll order spares for sure.
This motor has half of the poles of a MAC. Therefore, cheap controllers should drive it fine.
I never use cheap controllers so i don't have one to recommend.
Good to know. I’ll order one. A cursory glance at a few specs didn’t reveal any mentions of soft start, unfortunately.

I’ve got bigger direct drive motors that won’t overheat, and will use them if a Bafang BPM can’t handle the load. They’re not legal though, and I’d prefer to comply with the regulations. (Even though the BPMs are misrepresented, it’s not me who’s misrepresenting them).

If the controller is programmable ( can set phase and battery amps ) then you can design a kind of soft start into the throttle by lowering the phase to battery amp ratio, thereby lowering initial torque. It should have the effect of helping preserve the gears.

BPMs like being in smaller size wheels BTW. 26" or under can take 1500w for short periods of time if you wish. :)

Yeah, a programmable controller needs to be on the near horizon for that reason. Unfortunately there’s no real empirical torque data for any particular gears or clutch - seems like you have to break them to find their limits.

I’ve never run more than 17 battery amps with geared hubs (all 250w nominal). More is required for this application, which is why I was happy to find these “200W” BPM motors. Until a VESC is dialled in, the nylon gears will take a beating.

You made me rethink the mid-drive. I’ll try the motor laced in a 20” front wheel. 15S battery, 25 battery Amps might suffice.

(First task is getting the bike going and doing some hill climbs though. I picked up some 155mm cranks and a 20” nexus 3sp wheel tonight).

Back