series or parallel

dutchlincoln

100 W
Hello,
i might be able to aquire some 18650V cells soon.
Now, i wonder: when building a pack, what's advisable?
Put cells in parallel first, and then these cells in series, or is it better to go in series first, and then make parallel sets out of them?

thnx.

from what I have heard, putting parallel blocks in series is the way to go. However, I dont know the reason for that.

Well, one goed reason is: if you put in series first, you will need a BMS for every string you make or at least wire all batteries individually to connect to a central BMS.
Another reason: if one cell fails, the whole string will fail. Whereas, if you put in parallel first, the other parallelled cells will compensate.

The short version :

Mostly... when using small cells ( 18650's ) , it's best to parallel them into a group to form a large P group thens series those.

when using large capacity cells ( like on an EV with 100ah cells ) , it's prefered to series them and then make parallel strings with BMS protecting each single cell...

You might also want to make each paralell cell group fairly easily disconnected from the others. So if one group develops a problem, it's not buried in the center of the pack, with tons of hot glue , and spot welded strips to dig through to fix it.

Make it so you can repair if needed, by removing a cell group and slotting in another.

All great ideas!.
Basically: i have to wait until i have all the cells that i can get, in order to be able to calculate how many parallels i can have...

At work, we have a project where we buy battery operated tools for, and ditch the battery packs, and connect the battery-operated tools to a large power-supply.
I don't know exactly how many tools wee need, so i can's start fabricating yet...
pitty, it put's a real stress to my patience.. :D

Back