Sexy Practical Velomobile?

If I lived in a place that had cooler temperatures I would consider this:
http://www.steintrikes.com/trike/thunderstorm.php

I already have the chassis so it could be around a 4 grand upgrade. It is just too hot around here to justify a velo shell.
otherDoc

Once I ran the tread down on the Schwalbe Marathon Racers that came on my Catrike Expedition, they got swapped out for 2.0 Big Apples on the front and a 2.35 BA on the back. They make the ride feel like there is about a 1.5 in. suspension on the trike and once the cargo extension got put on and the wheelbase increased by 18 in. the ride is very smooth. Even on chipseal and heavily patched roads. Would love to be able to put a shell around it without losing the carrying capacity.

Plenty of velomobiles can be called practical. The only thing that can really be argued about their impracticality is their cost.

I absolutely love the idea of a velomobile. But they are entirely too expensive. For now, I think the best route for those who can't afford to splurge on a 'sexy' velomobile might consider a front fairing with a wind/body sock. The sock option is substantially cheaper, you don't sacrifice too much and it's affordable. The sock setup provides enough protection from the elements to be something to use almost all the time.

If I could, I would seriously have about a million and a half velomobiles made right now, sell them for a price that everyone could afford. I wonder what the co-effecient of drag is on something like the milan.

Until then. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzGQ8mPUN-A#t=1m47s

LI-ghtcycle said:
I don't mind wearing a helmet in the bad weather (if needed), I'm pretty used to dealing with rain that way from prior experience riding motorcycles in Oregon (we have 2 seasons, warm rain spring & summer, cold rain fall & winter! :mrgreen: )

But at the slower speeds that I would be riding at, I would think just a good canopy would be enough and no real windshield would be needed.
[wanders out of his thread for once] I can say for sure, if you go faster than 5mph, a canopy isn't going to add any protection from rain whatsoever.

works ok at 5mph though... [wanders back to his thread]

bowlofsalad said:
Plenty of velomobiles can be called practical. The only thing that can really be argued about their impracticality is their cost.

I'm not sure you've thought this through. Here are some more issues that cause you not to see very many of these things.

storage
fragility
parking
locking
servicing
just getting in and out of them

By the time you effectively address all the shortcomings of a velomobile, what you have is a car. And if you go the other way and strip away its worst liabilities, what you have left is a bicycle. The street just isn't a friendly place for a $10,000 Chinese lantern on wheels.

Chalo said:
bowlofsalad said:

I'm not sure you've thought this through. Here are some more issues that cause you not to see very many of these things.

storage
fragility
parking
locking
servicing
just getting in and out of them

By the time you effectively address all the shortcomings of a velomobile, what you have is a car. And if you go the other way and strip away its worst liabilities, what you have left is a bicycle. The street just isn't a friendly place for a $10,000 Chinese lantern on wheels.

The same words can be said concerning any bicycle or ebike. Everything, every design or style has it's weaknesses and strengths. You often have a strangely negative bias towards things, bearings, water bikes, velomobiles and so on. I have thought at great length on the pros and cons of velomobiles. If they had a cost of 500 dollars for a full suspension trike, hardshell with decent rear view, I'd have one now without a doubt.

Putting a lock on it, no problem, lots of options, the lock wasn't invented yesterday. I don't really understand why you brought that up. Are you saying that cars and bicycles are naturally and magically better or easier at locking? Or perhaps that they don't need locks? You don't understand or know of a way to lock a velomobile, that's fine, but think about it before you talk about it. There are plenty of options.

Fragility, have you ever seen what happens to the body panels of some automobiles today if you bump them? What is your point? It's a bicycle with a shell, not a rally car. Want it more durable? Find a velomobile made of a more durable material. Nobody is testing motorcycles or bicycles for their crash rating with a semi on the highway.
Parking and storage, are you kidding?

Service, could be a little more tricky but that really depends on how things are implemented. Service may be one of the cons, but at the same time, the amount of service a velomobile would need compared to a car is like comparing the upkeep of a helmet to a jet fighter. Ever change a alternator, oil, transmission fluid or anything like that on a car? Your comparison is piss poor.

I won't address getting in them, that's hilarious to even mention.

I may have a slight bias towards velomobiles, they surely are a bit more hassle than your walmart upright mountain bike. But lets see who travels further on a given amount on energy? Efficiency is a big deal. Being able to ride in all kinds of weather and not be exhausted would surely be nice. I dunno about 10,000 dollar velomobiles, but like I said, they are too expensive today even at 2500 or 5000. The big deal about velomobiles is the cost per mile. You said that a velomobile is basically a car. I don't know if you've really spent time thinking about how much it costs to drive a car, but the cost per mile is a little harsh for cars. They say the average cost per mile to drive a car, just driving it, is 60 cents. Compare that to a velomobile ebike which will absolutely cost much less per mile, I don't know of any exact figures. But things like energy consumption being many times lower, no insurance, no fees, close to zero damage to the roads you pay for, substantially less space on the road meaning less congestion on the road and so on. I think this makes it pretty clear that comparing a car to a velomobile ebike or just a velomobile is a pretty shitty contrast.

Maybe you are just playing the troll to a velomobile fan. Maybe you are a mountain bike fan boy and feel your ego deflating at the concept of a superior option. But it's like half of your statements are utterly broken and half are something else. Velomobiles come with a tiny bit of hassle, maybe, but they are as efficient as you can get in methods of transportation in terms of cost per mile. My mind is blown by your statement. You are either painfully ignorant or just trying to cause a stir. I am almost convinced you are a troll.

Kirk said:
Once I ran the tread down on the Schwalbe Marathon Racers that came on my Catrike Expedition, they got swapped out for 2.0 Big Apples on the front and a 2.35 BA on the back. They make the ride feel like there is about a 1.5 in. suspension on the trike and once the cargo extension got put on and the wheelbase increased by 18 in. the ride is very smooth. Even on chipseal and heavily patched roads. Would love to be able to put a shell around it without losing the carrying capacity.
So you are saying you prefer big apples to marathon races. I wonder how your comparison would stand compared to marathon supreme. How wide were the marathon racers?

bowlofsalad said:
Kirk said:
So you are saying you prefer big apples to marathon races. I wonder how your comparison would stand compared to marathon supreme. How wide were the marathon racers?[/quote

Yes I prefer the BAs to the Marathon Racers. I haven't run the Marathon Supremes since 09, I prefer the BAs to them also. The Supreme is a heavier tire and has a harsher ride then the BAs. The racers that came on the trike were 1.50 wide and I ran them at 70 PSI. They stopped making the 2.35 wide BA last Nov., so my next rear tire will be a 2.15 wide Big Apple +. The BAs are run at 35 PSI. The Marathon Supremes should last longer and be very resistant to flats. The BAs are lighter and are smoother riding. I've never had a flat with either a Marathon Supreme or a Big Apple tire. On Hwy 12 between Walla Walla, WA and Lewiston, ID I had 11 flats with Marathon Racers. As always YMMV.

bowlofsalad said:
If they had a cost of 500 dollars for a full suspension trike, hardshell with decent rear view, I'd have one now without a doubt.

Are you insane? You can barely get a passable unsuspended bicycle for $500, and that's with the benefits of mass production and one hundred fifty years of progressive refinements.

Also, velomobiles don't offer enough airflow to cool the rider's body in places that are hospitable for cycling generally. Thanks for pointing out that you can't see out of them worth a damn either.

Chalo,
From all that you've said on the subject, your knowledge of velomobiles could be stuffed in a Coke bottle and not obscure the bottom. If you're not a troll, you're doing a damn fine imitation of one. :roll:

Back