Shorten cables on conversion e-bikes

raylo32

100 kW
Has anyone here cut and spliced cables on their e-bike conversions to get rid of the excess? On my mid-drive TSDZ2 and Photon that is mostly needed on the motor controller cable that runs to the handlebars. Of course, that is also the one with the most conductors. Thinking about cutting a piece out and soldering up the wires... then using tape and shrink tube to finish it off.

Last edited:
Some individuals do this, but I've always wadded the excess and hidden under a frame bag or equivalent. So far it's been mostly effective.

If I were to do this and need waterproofing maintained, I'd do it inside the devices so there are no external splice points to have to seal up. Normally the controller is the easiest place to do it as that's where most wires terminate, but the TSDZ2 and other middrives are harder to do that with than the standard "aluminum box" controllers.

Otherwise, any splice method you choose will work, but I recommend offsetting the splices to each wire inside a particular cable, so that 1) the cable doesn't end up far thicker than it used to be at the splice point, and 2) the wires cannot short to each other even if the splice-insulation should fail.

I also recommend just using heatshrink (no tape) to insulate everything, shrink sized for the wires on those, and shrink sized for the cable sheath for that part--and that one you can use marine-type HS with built-in adhesive to help weatherproof it if necessary.

I have a Velcro wire sleeve right before the handlebars:

Any excess cable I just put a little loop in it and keep the loop inside the Velcro sleeve so it's not noticeable.

I leave mine loose.
If anything a piece of electrical tape every so often, but with the electrical tape at the end, bended back and stuck unto itself to easily take the tape off of need be. For example, phase wires coming off a rear hub. When one gets a flat, one needs to take the phase tape off because I have enough slack built in so no need to undo 4mm bullets that have been taped.

Another trick is to wrap the excess wire bulk in an incospicuous spot, or take out the slack by reterminating the wire. Try to do an inline splice job, I always do a bow tie, and mine end up like a Y or more like a T, a pig tail coming 90* off.

Back