• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Skateboard ground clearance in general?

scoot-e

100 W
Working on a small project and was wondering if the skateboard crowd could tell me the general ground clearance (ground to bottom side of board) on a typical/average skateboard and/or (ground to bottom of battery case if bottom mounted) for an e-skateboard?
Thx!

(street only - not for offroad boards)

2 3/4" on my longboard without battery. Am trying to build a deck with battery and keeping 2" minimum underneath the deck...just makes for more freedom when cruising around, not having to worry about clearance issues.

what is actually measurement?

flat ground and min clearance through a full truck range?

torqueboards said:
I'd say 1" to 1.5" clearance although the more the better. Should be fine shorter but those speed bumps might get you.

Forgive me for questioning you and thx for the feedback, but if, say, the board is 6 - 7+" wide and you were to lean into a turn with only 1" ground clearance (from top of pavement to underside of board/deck) wouldn't the sides scrape on the ground? That seems a little low from what I've seen for non-e or e-boards...no?

(Excuse the attached pic for being an RC car, just wanted a quick screen grab to illustrate the distance specifically and make sure I was explaining myself clearly)

Attachments

• 5806-raptor-ground-clearance-black_m.jpg
    5806-raptor-ground-clearance-black_m.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 4,065
We'll for eboards but I've seen drop through decks and they are pretty low. My board is 1/8" risers on 83/90mm wheels. That's my only clearance. Depends if you count the enclosure. I'd say with my enclosure it's about 3" of height.

That RC car would be an awesome off roading board :mrgreen:

I'm sure there are all kinds of unique boards but I'm just curious about an average store bought skateboard, how much clearance it has in the center of the board (the area without trucks or any other low hanging bits) under the deck to the ground...if anyone happens to know?

Suffice to say maybe, better to "armour plate"/reinforce underside EG w/Kevlar (TM).

I have a little under 2" on my regular board, but that differs depending on where you measure from. How much you need depends on the shape of your board, how much flex, battery height, battery width, and where you mount it.

... and how bumpy the ground/surface is. :wink:

My shortboard with penny wheels on it is 8cm. My longboard with randall 180s and 75mm wheels is 10.5 cm

Back