• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

SLA Batteries, the Peukert Effect on 24v 12Ah

gman849 said:
Hello,
I'm gman849. This has been a very interesting post. I too recently bought an EZIP 750 on sale from WALMART. I feel good about it since the price recently doubled. Anyhow, I am really enjoying it. I am using it for a commute of about 7.5 miles its just that I just barely make it. This depends on wind conditions its that close...I would like to also wire another battery pack in parallel it would take the stress out of the commute. I would really like to duplicate your set up with the batteries in a rear basket. Is it possible you could diagram and /or explain how you managed the wiring. And how you attached the basket. Thanks I will buy 4 new batteries to start the whole thing fresh….

Find a basket at http://www.waldsports.com

http://waldsports.com/index.cfm/wald133basket.html

Buy 6 pcs of the 10 awg red/black trailer at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057ZQJ12/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wire your new batteries with your existing battery pack in parallel.

You will get @ 15-17 mile range.

20 lbs heavier, but worth it.

IAN…

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 12.15.51 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 12.15.51 AM.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,740
Thanks for your quick reply. I already ordered the 6pcs of wire. I am going to wait on the basket. I'd like to find the smallest one possible, maybe even some kind of box or other casing. I am still not sure how to wire in parallel/connect to each other and than the scooter? Is each battery pack wired normally than connected with these wires(if so how)/Sorry to bother you with this. This is def the answer to my commuting problems. I am commuting from Queens to the Bronx with gas and tolls saving 15bucks a day, with this scooter. thanks again...

I am on my way out, but u can mount the battery pack anywhere you find space.

Here is a wiring schematic, and you can wire it permanently or temporary.

If it is wired in parallel, your current charger can charge both packs together, albeit longer charge times.

IAN…

Attachments

• Series_and_Parallel_Battery_Arrays.png
    Series_and_Parallel_Battery_Arrays.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,722
Ian,
Thanks again. I'm a rookie when it comes to this stuff. Though I'm pretty sure I will be able to get this done. Am I supposed to leave the two battery packs wired as they come and then just attach them? If so how/is there splicing involved? Or does everything need to be rewired/if so how? Splicing? Sorry for the questions I am new to this and in my case is the answer to my commute. Maybe a couple of pictures of the connections and your set up would set me straight. Again I am looking to double my distance and not at all worried about power. I will place my second battery pack in the same location as yours. I'm pretty sure Its 1 24volt 48ah battery that I want to wind up with. I uploaded a file(I think) ,in our set up battery A and B would be up front in the traditional battery compartment, and batteries C and D over the rear tire, is that correct? Even still while I believe I could make these connections a couple of pics would really help.
Graham

gman849 said:
Ian,
Thanks again. I'm a rookie when it comes to this stuff. Though I'm pretty sure I will be able to get this done. Am I supposed to leave the two battery packs wired as they come and then just attach them? If so how/is there splicing involved? Or does everything need to be rewired/if so how? Splicing? Sorry for the questions I am new to this and in my case is the answer to my commute. Maybe a couple of pictures of the connections and your set up would set me straight. Again I am looking to double my distance and not at all worried about power. I will place my second battery pack in the same location as yours. I'm pretty sure Its 1 24volt 48ah battery that I want to wind up with. I uploaded a file(I think) ,in our set up battery A and B would be up front in the traditional battery compartment, and batteries C and D over the rear tire, is that correct? Even still while I believe I could make these connections a couple of pics would really help.
Graham

Gman849, what u want to do is take your OEM (original) battery pack out (off the scooter). Than examine the connections on the two 12v 12Ah batteries inside and purchase two other identical batteries (same thing 12v 12Ah)

When u receive the new batteries you ordered, you want to create an identically wired 2nd battery pack to the OEM ones.

Now, u have two identical battery packs, each 24v 12Ah. By paralleling them, u will have a 24v 24AH battery pack.

To connect them together, you will need to combine the + POS of each pack together, and combine each - NEG of each pack together. In other words, take the + POS from one pack and add it to the + POS of the second pack, and repeat this to the black - NEG wires (- NEG to the other - NEG)

You will have to figure out how to take your "new" POS & NEG connections and extend them to your controller connections where you removed the original battery pack.

You will likely have to use those 2 pin trailer wires that u bought, along with some "butt connectors" to create your parallel connections.

If you have any problems, I would recommend inviting someone in your family/friends that understands how to wire parallel connections.

IAN…

Ian,
Thanks for all your help! I will get all my supplies together take it as far as I can then and take it to someone who knows(if needed). Thanks

I can't understand what's with all this SLA talk, with all the time and monies spent you could have a Lifepo by now. Do what I did, modify the battery compartment to fit the larger size, add a front disc brake. It will extend your range and reliability ten fold. Also buy a decent 5 amp charger. I use mine everyday to scoot around all over my city area doing errands and rarely use the car (gas is 1.45/lt). The battery investment pays itself in a few months.

I just got 4 new sla's for $75 delivered. Daily driver.

D-Man said:
I just got 4 new sla's for $75 delivered. Daily driver.
D-Man, who is your preferred SLA vendor?

Well, I figured I'd take a chance and go with ebay. Picture 4 batteries arriving in a cheap flat rate box from usps with minimal padding.
They had a few small dents on the battery corners when they arrived and the box was taped an extra time.
They work though. :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Sonic-4-Pack-12V-9AH-F2-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Battery-for-CSB-HR1234WF2-/130728865694?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item1e700c2f9e

D-Man said:
Well, I figured I'd take a chance and go with ebay. Picture 4 batteries arriving in a cheap flat rate box from usps with minimal padding.
They had a few small dents on the battery corners when they arrived and the box was taped an extra time.
They work though. :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Sonic-4-Pack-12V-9AH-F2-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Battery-for-CSB-HR1234WF2-/130728865694?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item1e700c2f9e
That seems like a good price for Power-Sonics.

I was eyeballing the selection at Walmart thinking that site-to-store might have a chance of being fresh. Their 10AH is expensive @$30, but the 12AH is more reasonable @$28, with a one year warranty from a place were you could actually take it back.

I'm torn between LifePo4 for @ $400-650 which is better range, longer lasting, etc…..

But (4) 12v 12Ah SLA's delivered for a final price of a bit less than $100, it makes the decision harder, especially since I don't have trips farther than 10-15 miles

Makes for a tougher decision. IAN.

Here was one of the dents in the battery from shipping. The other ones were just cosmetic around the lids.

My dented battery is still working. I just replaced 2 of the other batteries for weak cells. No dents this time on shipping. Still going....

D-Man said:
My dented battery is still working. I just replaced 2 of the other batteries for weak cells. No dents this time on shipping. Still going....

Hi D-Man, so if I understand correctly, of the (4) Power Sonic batteries that you put in last Sept 2013, two had to be replaced for weak cells, and the other two are still working?

How many cycles @ on the SLA's…?

IAN.

Right. I don't know how many cycles but usually I do 1500 miles a year. Only $19 a battery. Even the more expensive good brands have failed early on me so no use getting those anymore.

imorton said:
I'm torn between LifePo4 for @ $400-650 which is better range, longer lasting, etc…..

But (4) 12v 12Ah SLA's delivered for a final price of a bit less than $100, it makes the decision harder, especially since I don't have trips farther than 10-15 miles

Makes for a tougher decision. IAN.

Looks like the prices don't seem to want to drop on the Life batteries so I'll keep running sla.

Back