Small freewheel compatible with 10 speed shimano derailleur?

Hi,

Recently I bought the pasion ebike kit from China, I thought it came with a 7 speed freehub. So I could just slide (part of) my 10 speed gears in the cassette. But it turns something like a freewheel exists too :lol:

So now I'm stuck with this shitty system, unless I buy a new motor, but that's not really an option at this moment.

While I could perfectly live with 3*7 speeds, it is totally not compatible with the indexing of my current quite expensive shimano xt derailleur.
My 10 speed cassette has a cog spacing of 3.95mm.
The 7 speed freewheel has a cog spacing of 5mm (35mm total).

I'm left with 2 options:
- Buy another compatible derailleur, which is quite expensive in case of shimano xt.

- Find a (8 / 9 speed) freewheel not larger than 35mm, with a cog spacing of ±3.95mm.

Does anyone know if this kind of freewheel exists?
Kind regards,

Does this google search for a 10 speed freewheel help?

https://www.google.com/search?q=10+speed+freewheel

Keep in mind that if the space between hubmotor and dropout is too small for a 10-speed, then you would need to add spacers on the axle shoulder to increase it (spread the frame) however much is necessary to clear the chain on the smallest cog.

If you aren't using a freewheel that matches the cassette spacing, then your derailer won't shift it correctly. I don't know for certain, but it's likely that no 8 or 9 speed freewheel matches your shifter, and you'd need to use a 10 or live with the gears that don't shift/stay correctly (meaning, don't use those gears, just shift past them each time).

the Sheldon Brown site probably has a page about this kind of thing, if you poke around on it.

Back