• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Start a PayPal dispute or wait? (resolved)

zap

100 W
I bought a used item from a forum member using PP.
He sent an invoice late Tuesday, 6/14, which I paid early Wednesday morning, 6/15.

In a PM from him Tuesday night he stated:
ok, bill has been sent, and ill ship out the battery tomorrow.

On Wednesday I sent a PM saying:
...Invoice should show paid...

On Thursday afternoon I get a PM saying:
Battery will be in the post today, ill have a tracking number for you in a few hours.

I have yet to receive any other communication from him even though he picked up a PM from me yesterday (Friday) which read:
xxxxxx wrote:Battery will be in the post today, ill have a tracking number for you in a few hours.

:?: :?: :?:

The punk is snubbing me. He's got my money and I have a feeling he thinks he's in control now (and to some degree... he is).
All I see now are shades of "The Journey Guy" fiasco :x

Start a dispute or wait?

If you go to PayPal and start a dispute, one of the first things the website will show you is the seller's phone number so you can call him and (hopefully) resolve the issue between yourselves. That's probably the best and fastest way to settle things. He may have perfectly reasonable reasons for not responding sooner.

bigkahuna said:
He may have perfectly reasonable reasons for not responding sooner.
He certainly may... but he (or someone using his account?) logged in here at least twice yesterday. If he has time to log in a couple of times, I would think he should also have enough time to leave a reply?

Thanks bigkahuna, I guess I'll start a dispute :roll:

One thing I've learned from buying and selling on forums like this is that everyone has their own interpretation of what "good communications" and "good business practices" are. Also some people may not have the same access to the internet as you and I may have. Lastly, "stuff" happens. People get sick, laid off from work, etc. You never know. If you have no other way of communicating with the seller and they're not responding to your emails, then you pretty much have no other options. I've only had to do it once myself, but it definitely got the seller's attention.

Late tuesday is not very long ago, i would give it a few days and request at minimum an update on the situation, tracking number/ shipment confirmtation would be even better, but i've had situations where i planned to ship next day and life got in the way, only got shipped a few days later but it's just good etiquette to at least reply to pm's and explain the situation politely even if there are delays......

I also got parts from the journey guy before he pulled a dissapearing act on others, so ymmv... :|

these days everyone is quite busy and its hard to find time to go out of your way to do something thats not usually in your routine.
i myself work nightshift and find it hard to get to the post office before closing as i am know to sleep in.
some people live out of town, and dont get to come into town everyday.
there are hundreds of reasons that this person isnt able to make it to the post office.
it hasnt even been a week, give it time, making a thread like this isnt going to get you anywhere any quicker.
doesnt it take time for your money to go from your bank account, to your paypal, then to his paypal and then finally to his bank account.

Sorry about that, I think i am the shipper in question here. The battery got shipped out June 17th, and I could not find the little tracking number stub. Talked with him over the phone this morning and its all settled. [edit] I agree with Darkone, It's a pretty long drive in to town to ship stuff, so I try to combine runs together, but if i have a package for more than a few days, ill run it in anyway to keep people from waiting too long. [edit]

To all:
I didn't start this thread to trash anyone. If I had I would have mentioned Farfle to begin with. I was simply looking for advice on paypal.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"... I got caught in The Journey Guy incident and didn't want that to happen again so I was trying to be more proactive.

Farfle, I'm sorry for the "punk" remark, I was mad... period... I apologize.
I'm also impressed with you and your reply. No hard feelings on this end, I hope none on yours.

If I hadn't been burned once before I would have never posted this thread in the first place... nor would I have posted if I'd known more about the info you can get from paypal. :oops:

I wish a great day to all :)

Back