• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Statorade effects

JackFlorey

100 kW
In what should come as a surprise to . . . no one at all, statorade works really well. I tried it on a Shengyi hub this week. It was from a 750 watt ebike repowered with a Phaserunner, and at 1000 watts it was regularly hitting 90C when climbing hills with a trailer. 10ml of statorade reduced that to 70C with no noticeable effect on drag. (I didn't do the idle-current test but there's no noticeable difference in pedaling without power.) Since I now have a temp sensor in the hub I am going to up the power limit to 1200 watts and see if temps remain reasonable.

The hub needed some additional sealing with a silicone based gasketing material, but once that was done - no leaks. (At least so far.)

Good to know.

Among the chief benefits of electric vehicles are clean, dry, simple, and low-maintenance operation. I'm willing to use a big enough motor for my application if I can have those benefits.

There are plenty of drippy, stinky, complex, fussy high-maintenance vehicles already for those who want one.

Yes and after a year or two you need to add more, I am at that point. What sucks is it costs 25 dollars with another 20 or 30 dollars just shipping from canada to USA. Hopefully they will get it back on Amazon to purchase. I saw a note in 4-6 weeks they will get it back up on Amazon hopefully. With everyone using mid drive motors now a days i wonder if the demand for it will exist anymore.

What we know about Grin's formula is that it was extensively tested before introduction as a commercial product. By using another ferrofluid, you assume that it's either exactly the same thing, or that whatever makes it different from Statorade won't cause corrosion or damage the magnet wire varnish.

Whether you think that's a safe or unsafe bet, it's still a bet.

Chalo said:
Good to know.

Among the chief benefits of electric vehicles are clean, dry, simple, and low-maintenance operation. I'm willing to use a big enough motor for my application if I can have those benefits.
My goal was a decent motor for a bike that would be run at 500 watts for most of its use, and occasionally see 1000-1500 watts for hill climbing without overheating. This gets me that.

(Or to use your language - I'd rather use a motor that is suited for its task than a massive, wasteful, heavy, inefficient monster just so I could avoid having to think about it too much.)

JackFlorey said:
... I tried it on a Shengyi hub this week. ...

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but all Shengyi hubs I know are geared. Is yours direct drive?

Because, on the Grin website it says this:
" Will this work in geared hub motors or mid-drive motor systems?
No, not really. Geared hub motors do not have their rotor shell exposed to ambient air, so increasing the heat conductivity from the motor stator to the rotor does not help get the heat to ambient air outside. ....... The benefits of Statorade are really only present for outrunner motors (magnets on the outside) where the rotor is exposed to air flow."
(Link for reference: https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/statorade.html )

pickworthi said:
JackFlorey said:
... I tried it on a Shengyi hub this week. ...

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but all Shengyi hubs I know are geared. Is yours direct drive?
Yes. Label on it is "Shengyi Hybrid" whatever that means, but internally it's definitely a direct drive. It's one of the standard DD hubs that RadBikes uses.

Back