stealing "energy" from your workplace? stories?

jimmyhackers

10 kW
disclaimer: never done this, dont think i will, i dont even have a job :p

bit of a random one....wondered if anyones done it or has seen it or things similar in the news?

on the lighter side:
things like charging your bike battery up in the office. or taking your car plug charger to work and sneaking a little charge from an outside socket or an extension cable through a window.

on a more random side....just taking in the largest battery possible in a bag/case, and charging it up from whatever plug socket you can find. either for an EV or just to plug into an inverter you have at home to run your meter backwards for an hour or two.

even more random.... the same as the above, but im sure ive seen a plug socket on our UK trains and maybe busses. i wonder what rating they are? i can imagine OAPS using their free bus passes to lower their electric bill. :p

ironically, i figure most people will let you use a plug socket if you ask anyways. especially if your a paying customer in a cafe/pub resaturant.

would be intersting to hear any stories if you guys have them.

I don't know that I'd ever work for an employer who refused to let me charge at work if I wanted to. I once quit a job because management wouldn't let me bring my (pedal) bike inside or offer any other secure parking.

Anyway in most places, a car parking spot costs a lot more to provide than a bike parking spot plus a charging plug.

jimmyhackers said:
bit of a random one....wondered if anyones done it or has seen it or things similar in the news?
Currently I have a PHEV with a ~30 mile range. My current job is 20 miles from my house; I go in once or twice a week.

They have a 240 volt outlet in the back so I just run an extension cord and charge from there. Since we're in the business of used EV batteries no one minds.

stealing $0.04 worth of "energy" from public outlets

Some mall or Walmart maintenance guy said something about stealing from an out door outlet, I bit my lip but kept eyeballing him hard, giving him the stink eye. Normally these days I would lip off to him. Sometimes you just dont care enough to give a shit.

A garbage truck guy eye'd me while moving my bike out of the way while charging, I gave him a smile and a thumbs up from inside a Subway eating a sub about 50' from ebike charging.

For any of us out there that ride everyday, or very frequently and carry around a charger, they know what I talk about and they know where the free, public outlets are, and which ones are the best locals to juice up at.

Should not be an issue any more than taking water from their tap.

If it is, quit.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

I've notice that some places do lock their outlets, and many newer constructions have zero outdoor outlets.
Community signs or focal point gardens might have outlets hidden for feature lights.
You can never go wrong with stealing electricity from a gas station, you are almost certain to find an outlet if its not blocked by a big ice freezer or vending machine.
Schools are good if you are out of juice and need re-juicing.
Grocery stores are top 5 for guaranteed outlet action.
Community halls
You could have more options for charging if you had removable battery that you can carry into any fast food joint or coffee shop.

For maximum charging watts, RSP-1000-48 sips 12a but pushes out 48v 21a, the next one up is the RSP 1500 48 which requires 17a :(
There might be an option for 1100-1300w for 48 that sips 14a but probably best to play it safe at 13a to keep well away from the famed 15a circuit breaker that is undoubtedly your outlet. 1200w units seem to spit out 25a, but nothing between 1200 and 1500w for 48v :(
https://www.mouser.com/c/power/power-supplies/switching-power-supplies/?output%20power=1%20kW%7C~1.008%20kW%7C~1.056%20kW%7C~1.2%20kW%7C~1.5%20kW&output%20voltage-channel%201=48%20VDC&sort=output%20power&pg=3

john61ct said:
Should not be an issue any more than taking water from their tap.

If it is, quit.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

I've charged my volt from flat to full every day at my office for close to 5 years now - no complaints from management.

Hillhater said:
HughF said:
I've charged my volt from flat to full every day at my office for close to 5 years now - no complaints from management.
But would they be happy if ALL employees did that ?
There are 4 of us, so I would expect it to be OK :)

If I worked in an office or shop, I would ask if it was ok to charge my bike or computer, if it was not allowed, would be looking for another job.

Exactly.

Would be similar to them getting fussy about someone drinking too much water

Back