Stealthing an Ebike?

Confab

100 mW
I've just set up my ebike and it runs fine, however I really don't like leaving it outside shops etc because it's too obviously an ebike. I'd like to tone it way down so that hardly any electronics or wires can be seen. The watt meter doesn't have to be visible either. I know it looks quite amateurish.

Here are a few pics:

dsc0020.gif

dsc0021.gif

Any ideas?

Wrap the wiring in split tubing/spira wrap.

Put the controller under the rack.

Dump the watt meter. Do you really need it after setting up the initial amp limits and figuring out your range? You can't read it where it it anyhow so at least put it in with the battery (and you'll save a tone of wiring/voltage drop).

bbd3180d.jpg

Find your self a nice tool bag, or other type of handlebar bag. not too large, just a little bit bigger than your controller. Then build a frame that lets the controller mount solid to the handlebars. If you don't have access to a metal shop, you could buld something out of erectorset parts if you had to. just heel the controller mounted solid, from inside the bagt.
Then cut out the bottom and back of the bag to let air flow around the controler. Make sure the holes can't be seen from the front or the sides.

Red wires on a bike look electrical. Black wires can look like brake cables, or shifter cables, so Swap out the battery wires running from the battery bag to the controller to be all black. rout them the same way you route the brake cable. run them seperate, with cable stays to hold them on. Just be very sure to double check the poliarity of the plug when you install it, and make sure you use a connector that can't be plugged in backwards.

Cut the throttle, brake, phase, and hall wires to be the size you need, so no extra wire is bundled. Rout everything the way you would route a brake cable. Avoid zipties in obvious places.

At least, thats how I'd do it.

Get a smaller bag - one for football boots from a sports shop. You want one just big enough for the battery with the controller on top of it. There should still be enough room for a small pump and tool-kit next to the controller. Don't worry about air-flow. My controller's never got hot in such a bag. Next get rid of that meter. Much better to get a speedict and mount your phone on the handlebars. You can get a mount for about £5. If you don't want to do that, get a Cycle Analyst for a more permanent solution, or more stealthy still, one of those little voltmeters.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180888615101?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Finally, make one of those remote switches that Jeremy designed so that you can use a small switch (maybe the red one on your throttle) to switch the battery on/off, and get a flush mounting charger socket to mount on the outside of you bag, then you can zip-tie the zip on your bag so that noone can open it.

Here's an example with the same battery as yours. The controller has now been moved from that black box to inside the bag:
saneagle3.jpg

Go to falconev.com and look for there frame bag. I bet you could easily fit all your stuff into that thing! I just got one and it can comfortably hold 12 4S hardcases and a controller. Everything is top notch quality too so no need to worry about poor QC :wink:

Trackman417 said:
Go to falconev.com and look for there frame bag. I bet you could easily fit all your stuff into that thing! I just got one and it can comfortably hold 12 4S hardcases and a controller. Everything is top notch quality too so no need to worry about poor QC :wink:

That's not going to work unfortunately, my battery won't fit in the frame.

Lots of ways to be stealthy lots of pics on the forum as well. People will steal your bike if they want it. A good lock does help though. Still as my brother says locks are just a figment of your imagination. They help to keep honest people honest and the dumb at bay. Best to be able to see the bike. Mine would be gone in an instant if the people at werq wanted it. It's parked in the shop unlocked as there are so many power tools and large bolt cutters available that a lock is kind of a moot thought. Lots of trucks to carry it off with the lock if it were used as well. Going on three years now with 40 people and easy access to the bike but there are cameras outside. Not many outsiders get into the shop as it is accessible to employees only unless you have a few seconds to jimmy the lock on the door. :shock: So easy to get in yet we have card keys and electronic locks so there is the allusion of security

e-bike1tiny.jpg

48vlaketiny.jpg

Giantebike.jpg

controllermounting.jpg

Controllers hid and controllers not. I was just trying to be kind to it this time although the first bike controller never did get hot.

Stealth has nothing to do with your problem. They'll take that bike because it looks good and has a good brand name.

Cover it with funky stickers or duct tape,

Pour a can of oil over it, then throw dirt on it

Spray paint it flat black, ( or day glow) throw dirt on the wet paint, then paint it some more. Paint everything, chain, grips, etc. Make it look already stolen. :lol:

Do tidy up the wiring and such, but really, seriously, the reason that bike will get stolen has nothing to do with the value of the motor kit. Maybe you don't have to get quite as extreme as the above, but for gods sake don't go around washing it and shining it. Let the rims at least get some oil and dirt on them.

dogman said:
Stealth has nothing to do with your problem. They'll take that bike because it looks good and has a good brand name.

Cover it with funky stickers or duct tape,

Pour a can of oil over it, then throw dirt on it

Spray paint it flat black, ( or day glow) throw dirt on the wet paint, then paint it some more. Paint everything, chain, grips, etc. Make it look already stolen. :lol:

Do tidy up the wiring and such, but really, seriously, the reason that bike will get stolen has nothing to do with the value of the motor kit. Maybe you don't have to get quite as extreme as the above, but for gods sake don't go around washing it and shining it. Let the rims at least get some oil and dirt on them.

I agree, I'm going to start sanding the paint back today to make it look as crap as possible. Here's what it looks like after the stealthing but before the sanding:

dsc0023.gif

dogman said:
Stealth has nothing to do with your problem. They'll take that bike because it looks good and has a good brand name. .

I wouldn't bother trashing your bike for fear of theft ,just tape it with black insulation tape if your that worried and get a reasonable lock.

Not being funny but it's er not a desirable brand.... :lol:

Dudeofdoom said:
dogman said:
Stealth has nothing to do with your problem. They'll take that bike because it looks good and has a good brand name. .

I wouldn't bother trashing your bike for fear of theft ,just tape it with black insulation tape if your that worried and get a reasonable lock.

Not being funny but it's er not a desirable brand.... :lol:

It's not a desirable brand but it is a good brand. Anyway, it's sanded and scratched to hell now. It only cost me €120 secondhand anyway, but I really don't want to lose the €900 of electronics attached to it.

dsc0024.gif

Ugly is good !

P1000842.jpg

I don't see your controller. If you put it in the bag then I think you should keep and eye on it. My controller runs to hot not to be out in the air, particularly under load like hill climbing.

I'm not familiar with that brand, but shiny new sells better so theives like it. A real good theft prevention is looking bad, then park next to a shiny specialized or Trek. :mrgreen: Rusty, dirty, and duct taped definitely helps.

Iv'e told this story about twice a year, but it's good. In the 70's a freind had 3 new motocycles stolen in 4 months. The 4th one insurance paid for, he poured oil on it, rode it up a dirt road, and never washed it. 5 years later, still parking it in front of a bar, WITH THE KEYS IN THE IGNITION!

I made A copy of EVTodds RC friction-drive. I liked how it is easily removable to take inside for security, and also for charging. At the time I was living on the third floor of an apartment building. I also thought there would be some interest by the local college students, because many of them must park their bike outside. Its an option thats worth considering...

file.php

file.php

Back