• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

STIFF THROTTLE

joecgz

100 µW
On my 1st e-bike build I've tried both 1/2 twist and thumb throttle controls
both have very stiff springs that result in difficulty holding after several miles
can anyone recommend one that takes less force to operate?

Thanks Joe

Do you have a cruise control option? Often blue wires than when joined mean constant throttle for a short time will latch on at the power level till a brake is tapped

friendly1uk said:
Do you have a cruise control option? Often blue wires than when joined mean constant throttle for a short time will latch on at the power level till a brake is tapped

No just the 3 wire control 1/2 twist and thumb both without any cruse control. Is their any that you wound recommend?

Thanks Joe

I found spraying lithium grease in my thumb throttle quite helpful. The resistance was more with the plastic being poorly manufactured (like most Chinese stuff) causing internal rubbing - rather than a super stiff spring.

My Magura twist throttle was buttery smooth right out of the box.

danielrlee said:
Cruise control is a controller function, not on the throttle. Check your controller for the blue wires mentioned above.
Thanks for youy help but my controller doesn't have any blue wires although their is a unused green on that when I apply 5volts
the bike will cruise at walking speed regardless of throttle setting although the brakes will interrupt it when applied as soon as the brakes
are released the bike motor returns to walking speed. This controller came with a LED810 control unit but since the only thing that worked
was the on/off power switch it's been replaced with a watt meter and a kill switch located near the throttle.
My throttle is sticking just a strong spring Iv'e tried my friends motorcycle and it doesn't have anywhere the spring that my bike has.
BTW I'm a 75 years old and this may be part of the problem.

Thanks again for the suggestions Joe

I guess there is always the option to swap the controller if it's just a little 6 fet. They are very cheap.

People have been know to place a thumb throttle so something interferes with it's movement. However if you fall off and it's eating your leg you might not be happy with that decision. My half twist came with the other half that don't twist. That is normal. However I used the half that twists, but not the other half supplied. Instead I took a rubber grip and chopped it down. I have to leave a tiny gap between them or the throttle will stay where I leave it. Held by the rubber grip forced against it.

9bZ9dip.jpg

Back