Controller swap on G-force T42

GaSSoo

10 mW
Hi. I have a G-force T42 bike. It drives quite well, but without the possibility of customizing it in any way. There are literally no settings on the display, just miles/km and a speed limit that doesn't work.
I want to have more control over it and I want to change what I want. There is some yolin yl80c display model on the bike.
I tried to replace the display with new one with more functions like volt meter, but I bought a P860c display and it has a different connector, which I didn't notice when I ordered it. It has a 5 pin HIGO female and the old display has a 5 pin julet male.
I received a new controller from the bike manufacturer when making a claim, but nothing changes with the new controller. Still no settings, but I got push mode when holding - and the second same controller.
So I want to ask if you can recommend a new controller that will work with this new display (P860c) or a complete kit with a new controller and display.

These are the connectors I have on the controller now:
1. Hub motor is 750W 9 pin
2. Rear light with brake light 4 pin male
3. Passport sensor 3pin female
4. 1T5 cable 9 pin male

It will be nice if this new controller has all these connectors and is more customizable
On the 1T5 cable I have:
1st throttle with horn 5 pin male
2. brake sensors 2 pin female
3. display 5 pin female
4. light 3 pin female

I know that when I want to use the new display I will need to change the 1t5 cable as well, but I don't know if there is something like this old one with the same connectors but with a different display connector.

Attachments

• 20230927_170836.jpg
    20230927_170836.jpg
    904 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230927_170938.jpg
    20230927_170938.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
KT or Lishui (LS) are usually good, with a fair number of settings, but:

To pick a specific controller/display combo that is "more customizable", you probably should sit down and decide what specific features it would need to have to do the stuff you want it to do, and also which of those things you would like adjustability for.

If the list is extensive, it's likely that a single system won't have all of them, so you may have to compromise.

If you look up the manuals for various display/controller systems, you can get some idea of which ones have what features and settings. There are various versions of some of the displays, where one version works with a specific controller brand/model but a different version (that doesn't usually have any different model number, just to make it harder) doesn't work with it, but only with a different brand/model of controller.

BTW, many of the KT and LS controllers can also be used with the Open Source Firmware (OSF) in the various threads about them here on ES / Github / etc. This gives you different options, but requires some messing about with reprogramming them to flash the OSF on them; etc.

I figure out KT controller will be enought. Now I need to be sure how to connect it. Do KT controllers have brake light support? Can I use my 5T1 cable? because I find KT controllers with 5T1 cable but with different connectors like front light and brake sensors.

Edit: what controller do I need to use it with display I bought? (P860)

Last edited:
AFAICR you'll have to use a KT LCD with a KT controller.

If you want to use that specific display, you'll have to look up on the site it came from which controller brand and model(s) it is designed or programmed to work with, because controllers and displays are not generally intercompatible--each requires specific firmware / protocols / etc to talk to the other.

So to give little update. I bought KT controller with LCD8HU display and changed throttle and brake sensors.
But need help to set parameters for motor. P1 and P2. Everything I know about this motor is it have 12 magnets. And it's 750w Brushless Gear Hub Motor . Manufacturer won't tell or don't know what reduction gear ratio is.

Attachments

• 20230925_053906.jpg
    20230925_053906.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
So to give little update. I bought KT controller with LCD8HU display and changed throttle and brake sensors.
But need help to set parameters for motor. P1 and P2. Everything I know about this motor is it have 12 magnets. And it's 750w Brushless Gear Hub Motor . Manufacturer won't tell or don't know what reduction gear ratio is.
Did the KT controller you purchased also have a 9 pin hall sensor connector going to the motor (I see you mentioned the motor has a 9 pin)? The 9th pin, usually a white wire, is usually a speed sensor (which a geared hub needs if you want you speedometer to work while the bike is coasting).
P1 and P2 (and wheel diameter) are used in combination to allow the display to calculate the bike's speed. If you don't know the gear ratio or number of magnets, you can take a guess initially. Let's say 8 magnets and 5:1 gear ratio; so set P1 to 40. Set the pulses to 1 and ride the bike, comparing the display speed to a gps speed using your phone. If the actual speed is a little too fast, you can increase P1 a bit; if it's way faster, you could increase P2 (changing P2 will have a big effect, P1 will be a smaller effect).
Even if you know the correct parameters, you may still need to tweak P1, P2, or the wheel diameter to get an accurate speed reading, so if you get it in the ballpark, you'll be able to fine tune to be very close to the GPS speed.

Yes controller have also 9 pin. I have everything connected it just needs to set parameters.
I know number of magnets is 12 so should I work with this number?
When it comes to wheel diameter. I counts only rim or is it calculated with tyre?

Yes controller have also 9 pin. I have everything connected it just needs to set parameters.
I know number of magnets is 12 so should I work with this number?
When it comes to wheel diameter. I counts only rim or is it calculated with tyre?
I would start with an assumption of 5:1 for the gear reduction, so 60 (12 x 5) for P1. It could be higher (e.g. 11:1) depending on the motor. Wheel diameter is the tire size diameter, but with the KT you have set values (e.g. 26, 700C, etc.), and since tire diameters vary, you may need to fine tune P1 to get the speed correct.

Ok thanks, I'll try it and let you know.

I have one more question. This motor has 80nm. of torque. It was a nice hill climber and could get to 30+ mph. But before that it used a 22A squarewave controller. Does this torque change with a sinewave controller?

Ok thanks, I'll try it and let you know.

I have one more question. This motor has 80nm. of torque. It was a nice hill climber and could get to 30+ mph. But before that it used a 22A squarewave controller. Does this torque change with a sinewave controller?
Should be close, however differences in hill climbing or acceleration performance rely on the controller's ability to deliver phase amps, not just battery amps (current going to the motor through the big blue, yellow, and green conductors, vs. the big red and black from the battery)under load. That varies between controllers will be more noticeable than anything that changes going from square wave to sine wave.

I noticed when using PAS it gets full power no matter what pas level I select. Can I set it somewhere or what can I do with it please?
There's so much problems with this controller swap 🙁
Here is my settings.

Attachments

• 20240116_211705.jpg
    20240116_211705.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
So I managed to set parameters somehow. It's pretty accurate to GPS.

Sometimes when I pull off throttle and the bike starts to slow down, the display shows a speed of 42+ km/h and then it shows again right speed.

Is it possible to tune pas sensor? 1-2 is fine (17-22km/h) but at pas 3 It goes straight to 35+ and is not possible to pedal at this speed. Or if I change pas sensor for other?

Back