Strange Noise from rear? Updated with fix!

rogerc

1 W
No not that noise....
While riding I am hearing a loud click coming from the rear, not sure if it is the motor, derailleur, brakes or exactly where. It increases as the speed increases and is a clear pattern.
When I start pedaling it disappears and all is quiet. This is a Mac 10t motor brand new and installed by a newbie with a freewheel installed.
Is it possibly the clutch or one of the gears going out?
Any thought appreciated.
RC

Only in motion, disappears when pedaling. Sounds like drivetrain, not brakes.

There when you coast? There when under electrical power?

This is a description of freewheel noise. What freewheel did you use,and is it a new one?

Trying to isolate the sound it appears to be coming from the freewheel. I got it from em3, (cellman).
I may order a new one to and put in on and see if that helps. Can I just ignore the freewheel noise?
Freewheel probably really hard to get off.

It is there under power if I am not pedaling, and also while coasting, as soon as I start to pedal is goes away.
RC

Yeah, pour some oil on that freewheel, inside it I mean. If it goes away or changes that was it.

But to me, that sounds more like a spoke to me. Get that wheel in tune, not too tight, not too lose on the spokes. Bet you got one loose one at least.

Spent about an hour going over everything and checking and rechecking. Could not find anything wrong, nothing rubbing, wheel was trued and spokes checked. Zilch, zero, nada.
Decided to check the screws that hold on the covers to the motor.
Well guess what, a few were just slightly loose, tighten them all up and sound is gone!!!
Don't understand it but who cares, this bike is now smooth, fast, fun, and it picks up good looking women to boot.
RC

Nice news!
Hey, I know it's like asking a trout fisherman about his favorite stream, but where exactly are you picking up those nice looking ladies? I may have enough watt hours in the battery to take a ride by, though possibly not enough extra energy to pursue things much further :wink:

Enough bumps can do that, when it's happened to me I never heard any noises though. I started thinking, why would it ever stop if it was spokes?

I was starting to think something like a broken tooth in the freewheel.

Back