• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Stromer St1 30mph review

Hi,

do you have any more info on fast bike going away...links, articles, any add'l info? i am pretty sure i am going to get a Stromer platinum but was waiting for some reliability reports as I have had poor reliability w/2 earlier models. I have been concerned this may start to be an issue w/the "fast" bikes :evil:

The stromer st1 seems to be extremely reliable.

The new Stromer ST1 has temperature sensors that dial back the power on the the bike BEFORE any damage is done. The old stromer did not have this and basically when the temperature light did come on and the bike did shut down, many times the motor or controller was already fried.

I have owned a Stromer ST1 now for 4 months (got a deal on one obviously) and the overheating light comes on a lot when riding up large hills in sf, but bike keeps ticking.

The only "light" that has come on was "no comm" all others have been slow or non responsive motors, at least 10(could be 20 lost count) motors if not more for 2 bikes, even the "finally fixed" units on both bikes are not working correctly. 1 in the shop currently , stuck on full power, loss of speed of about 2-3 mph when new. Both bikes don't accelerate on POD from slow speeds unless I give a 1/4 to 1/2 pedal helper push. And again I go about 20 when pedaling when they use to do 23-24 on flats. i cant get to 20 on POD unless downhill. This is w/an error of about 10% in the odometer in the bikes favor I haven't taken into account(based off a GPS measurement and another bike computer). I was recently passed by a Bionx set up and couldn't catch him, wasn't close. When my spouse and I test rode these bikes to purchase they blew away the Ohm Bionx set up which was why we bought them.

And all of this and we still love the bikes, just not the amount of down time. I recommend local dealers too, so much repairs we have to pay for labor since we didn't buy them there.

Is yours a Platinum or Elite?

A fellow here at work has a very new Stromer ST1. I took a look at it today. I haven't ridden it but it looks very nice. Very clean lines, nice 'system integration' and minimization of cables. Lack of a throttle would bother me, but if what others say there may be one available. There is a button that bursts some power without pedaling, not sure how it works.

Strange they don't come with front suspension, this owner did upgrade that on his.

Nice to have 27 gear ratios on an ebike for those times you need them. Good hydraulic brakes as well. No suspension on the rear or seat, but a Thudbuster would be easy to add.

Putting the controller inside the motor saves them a lot of space and wires elsewhere, but it does make it hard to hot-rod, and prevents running the motor very hot. The motor looks large for a 500 watt so that helps to spread and dissipate the heat.

He says it will make 30mph on the flat. Interesting.

We both climb the same 15 percent hill on our homeward commutes, I'll have to find out what speed he makes going up that grade.

Nice looking ebike!

Apparently they have an optional front suspension fork, and I heard there is an accessory throttle.

I did a brief test ride on the Stromer yesterday. Seems to be a nice setup. Torque sensing is in the hub, making for a very clean installation.

The owner said he did a 25 mile test ride with lots of uphill and it had about 50% battery remaining indicated.

ebiker,
MagicPie 3 is a hub motor with controller build in.
that's the whole point , you removed internal controller,
MagicPie 3 design is a failure, you are not the only one who did it, right?
My opinions are not taken from the sky, I own Eplus and TForce with hudge millage.
Countless reading about Eplus, Tidal Force and Falco formed my opinion.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/714452-My-E-review

cal3thousand said:
miro13car said:
at first look you might think, circut boards with capacitors and components inside motor?
What this electronics going to be subjected to!!!
But no ,
it can last for close to 24,000km on my Tidal Force
Exactely 23,854 km as of today.
If designed and manufacture with quality can last thousands and thousands of miles.

You are basing your arguments on anecdotal evidence. Your sample size of 1 bike is ridiculously low for you to be able to speak about the motors' general reliability.

the sample size is around 1750 units sold.

Green Machine said:
I have a friend who is the lead ebike mechanic at blazing saddles with a fleet of stromers and a2bs. According to him they send failed motors back on a regular basis for replacement.

I always get his opinion on how reliable these systems are since they are putting many miles on many bikes every day. This is in SF hilly conditions.

And what is the purpose of having controller and hub built into the wheel when you have such a nice big hollow downtube you can fit both battery and controller in?

We are talking newbs renting bikes and trying to pedal up Geary or Knobhill (?) that would kill most motors...unrealistic to expect any other result with that terrain.

50yearoldebiker said:
I'm pretty sure you could order the bike with a throttle & front suspension from Stromer, I know I would.

Na, I asked them...they said "no":

Dan,

Thanks for your interest in Stromer! There is, unfortunately, no throttle kit available for the ST1, but there does exist a push-button Boost Mode that will act similarly to a throttle up to 12.5 mph. However, for the most part, this bike is by choice pedal-assist only.

You should give one a test-ride if you have the opportunity. This would likely be an endeavor for a mainland trip, however, as we don’t currently have any dealers in Hawai’i. I say that only because I didn’t care much for pedal assist until I rode a Stromer, after which a throttle seemed completely superfluous.

Best Regards,

Peter Wong

Technical Support Representative (West Coast)

peter.wong@bmc-switzerland.com

Tel 415-785-3490

RoadWrinkle thanks for posting that. I was about to post the same about the throttle not being available. I also had similar sentiments towards non-throttle bikes but after riding the Stromer my opinion changed. It's especially beneficial here in NY where we need to fly under the radar due to the questionable laws.

Had a nice back and for with Mr. Wong at Stromer; the amount of R&D that went into there PAS system is mind boggling. I am a throttle fan based on the fact that it affords the rider more control than your typical PAS, however after trying the Stromer PAS system I can say it is anything but typical. Recent visit to Cal, got to ride one. Found it so responsive it is almost like having a throttle that you engage with your feet via the crank. Many manufacturers are building PAS-only bikes for 2014.

Not to get into a philosophical discussion, but a bicycle should be pedaled, whether or not it has an electric motor, IMHO. There are plenty of electric mopeds with stronger wheels and tires, better brakes and way more power than most ebikes. I figure why not just use one of those if all you want is an electric motorcycle with a throttle and no pedaling. :D

Picked up a Stromer 3 weeks ago to replace my Stealth Bomber (want more of a workout). I have had an Optibike 850R and a Mongoose with a Bionx kit in the past and this is one fine bike. No question its better than my 850R in every way but of course can not touch the speed of the Bomber but its close to the Bombers fun factor.

It will go 27 MPH EZ and 31 MPH pushing it hard, ordered it with the suspension forks and added a spring seat with a thudbuster seat post and its a keeper.

Range is amazing, I did 47 miles and had 39% battery left on a 522 WH battery. Not having a throttle adds to the range as you have to work out....no cheating :)

Components are all top of the line, brakes, tires, battery....etc

For the price its the best deal out there IMO.

Paul_G said:
Picked up a Stromer 3 weeks ago to replace my Stealth Bomber

Should've just bought a schlumpf. It would've solved the problem with the bomber being a bad workout. I have a schlumpf phasor and it is a great workout.

mattrb said:
Paul_G said:
Picked up a Stromer 3 weeks ago to replace my Stealth Bomber

Should've just bought a schlumpf. It would've solved the problem with the bomber being a bad workout. I have a schlumpf phasor and it is a great workout.

I thought I was getting a workout on the Bomber ( I would peddle at all times) as well until I rode 15 miles on the new Stromer and I realized I was WAY out of shape...lol

I can hold 31 MPH for 1/4 mile tops and 27 MPH for a few miles....22 is EZ to hold all day. Speed is paid for on this bike by giving you a workout :)

Paul_G said:
I thought I was getting a workout on the Bomber ( I would peddle at all times) as well

I guess you haven't ridden your bomber without power too much. That must be a workout. It certainly requires effort on my 85lb bike. The schlumpf gives you cadence at high speeds that you love on the bomber, the same cadence that you get from the stromer. You could also have done pedelec or cruise control on the bomber too.

mattrb said:
Paul_G said:
I thought I was getting a workout on the Bomber ( I would peddle at all times) as well

I guess you haven't ridden your bomber without power too much. That must be a workout. It certainly requires effort on my 85lb bike. The schlumpf gives you cadence at high speeds that you love on the bomber, the same cadence that you get from the stromer. You could also have done pedelec or cruise control on the bomber too.

Power corrupts absolutely and the Bomber has a throttle that begs to be used...lol

BTW the Bomber is for sale if you wish to be corrupted :)

@izeman I believe the Magura ebrakes are only available to manufacturers. I've made serveral attempts to reach out to them with no avail. I'll let you know if I make any progress.

my rear brake on my Platinum has started leaking fluid around the caliper. it has been at the shop for a week waiting for a whole rear brake assembly. it came(will be coming) from Magura directly ordered by my new favorite LBS Cycle Life in DC. Yesterday took my wife's bike and my additional battery for 86 miles...talk about leg cramps :) :) it was a blast , ECO only and avg under 16mph

I am looking for the codes that program the bike. The simple ones like time and torque sensor level come w/the manual but here are many more , does anybody have access to the codes?

Mark

Back