stuff

What's so custom about their motors i wonder.

What's to stop me from using two 42 if they can handle the amps(not sure what's needed really), and can do the volts?

My hk controller has a simple little switch and I'm wondering how adequate it is. It's rated to 6s. Hk150. The alien 120 8s controller is seemingly going to need a fit switch and anti-spark

What'll happen and why would they put an inadequate switch?

If it was off and i wired 6s batteries to it would I see a spark when I connected but if I had a better on/off switch in the off position I wouldn't see a spark? I imagine any spark sightings are bad for connections or also the controller?

How do u find the handling? Does a single motor send u a bit sideways? It seems if a single strong, possibly front, motor could get braking done and there weren't any handling issues it'd be nice

having a single motor vrs a dual motor does not affect breaking or starting as far as a tug to the side. you weight holds the board in place then the wheel spin. the only differiance in 2 motors is power going up hill and that means do you want to go up the hill at 25mph or just 14mph. BTW if you punch it on your skateboard from 5mph to full throttle it will shoot strait forword most likely thing that's going to happen is the board shoots strait forward and u ether fall down or stand there saying WTF happened

Hummina Shadeeba said:
How do u find the handling? Does a single motor send u a bit sideways? It seams if a single strong, possibly front, motor could get braking done and there weren't any handling issues it'd be nice

there is no difference in handling between single rear, single front , double diagonal, double rear or double front. You turn on a board only because you lean. Having power applied to any wheel on the board in any combination will not make you lean, thus will not make you turn. Two motors will give you more torque uphill and more braking downhill and maybe eliminate some cogging when you try to start without pushing.

A single 50 to 63mm motor is more than enough power to not so gently place you on your ass if you're not careful.

Also the benefit of using single motors is less drag when you want/have to push, less overall weight of your board and much lower cost to set up.

I agree with the above but with the dual 6374-192kv a get insane acceleration and braking. The board is much more stable and has more control. I notice after 1 hour of riding that there is no more pain in my feet. Probably less vibration or I don't know what is it by is way more comfortable. Motors were placed diagonally.

Silenthunter said:
I agree with the above but with the dual 6374-192kv a get insane acceleration and braking. The board is much more stable and has more control. I notice after 1 hour of riding that there is no more pain in my feet. Probably less vibration or I don't know what is it by is way more comfortable. Motors were placed diagonally.

Interesting. Do you think the push/pull scenario somehow smooths the ride? It is possible.

Are you are referring to the drag of the belt/motor? If yes, than my construction is similar to lagrange and even if you want to push the board there is no restriction/drag. The boards moves freely with both or single motor.

Silenthunter said:
Are you are referring to the drag of the belt/motor? If yes, than my construction is similar to lagrange and even if you want to push the board there is no restriction/drag. The boards moves freely with both or single motor.

How does what u have work? I get that it's got a spinning axle but wouldn't that be bad for turning if there wasn't something going on that I'm missing. And brakes? Real coasting with just the wheels n their bearings no way. If the motor can stopped there's be no brakes
But even to just coast without the pulleys n on the motor I imagine it'd be nice. Quieter

If I turn the board of and just kick it there is no drag. The board moves freely, the belt and the motor for some reason don't affect the movement much.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
What's the benefit of the spinning axle?

The spinning axle doesn't have anything to do with the lack of resistance from his motors while pushing. A couple of my boards have pretty much no resistance while pushing. One of them is a Lagrange. The spinning axle was a good way for Lagrange to attach their Wheel pulley. It seats into the wheel hub which is epoxied into one wheel. The other wheel spins freely on its bearings. If they had bolted their wheel pulley to the wheel, they wouldn't have had to epoxy a split hub into the drive wheel.

Wouldn't consider it a handling issue, but I had some issues with the drive wheel slipping when turning.

A little annoying but it was only really a problem when riding uphill on a path that had a lot of tight right turns, haha.

brent said:
Wouldn't consider it a handling issue, but I had some issues with the drive wheel slipping when turning.

A little annoying but it was only really a problem when riding uphill on a path that had a lot of tight right turns, haha.
Is your motor is on the left rear truck? On single drive, the driven wheel can be lifted on very tight turns, especially if you have wide trucks. Thats why on e-mtbs, dual drive is almost a necessity.

psychotiller said:
Hummina Shadeeba said:

The spinning axle doesn't have anything to do with the lack of resistance from his motors while pushing. A couple of my boards have pretty much no resistance while pushing. One of them is a Lagrange. The spinning axle was a good way for Lagrange to attach their Wheel pulley. It seats into the wheel hub which is epoxied into one wheel. The other wheel spins freely on its bearings. If they had bolted their wheel pulley to the wheel, they wouldn't have had to epoxy a split hub into the drive wheel.
So why do they bother? Wonder why complicate it
How's front wheel drive?

Hummina Shadeeba said:
psychotiller said:
Hummina Shadeeba said:

How's front wheel drive?

I'm guessing they were going for a cleaner looking way to mount the pulley to the wheel without having to drill through. It was the most logical way to do it. Randal has luge trucks with a spinning axle and they do offer a lower rolling resistance. But once you attach a motor to the truck obviously there is going to be some resistance due to the belt drive and the magnets. The boards that I have that feel like there isn't any resistance when pushing most likely are due to motor choice and perfect belt alignment. (Luck)

My riverbed board http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=60449 is front wheel drive and I'm digging it.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
psychotiller said:
Hummina Shadeeba said:

How's front wheel drive?

LaGrange wanted a high quality electric longboard kit that didn't sacrifice the regular riding experience and that way there would be less resistance when kicking with the drive train setup on.

They also made the hub and epoxied it so that way they can use any wheel. The wheel is then useless and can't be rotated (shouldn't matter). You then purchase additional $10 hub drives for any set of wheels after that. "Universal Drive Wheel Adapter"

It's a neat idea but costs more money. I think they ruined it though by having a backpack with batteries.

I also prefer front wheel if it's one motor. My stance starts off on the front foot so it makes sense to put the motor there rather than in the back where I have no weight.

Yup! I guess the point I was trying to make is that the floating axle doesnt matter. Their pulley is mounted to the axle, and is connected by belt to the motor which completely eliminates the floating axle and any absence of resistance. The only way it could be considered a floating axle is if it wasn't connected to anything. You can call it a floating axle all day long because without the pulley and hub it is. But as soon as you bolt something to that floating axle it sinks.

psychotiller said:
Yup! I guess the point I was trying to make is that the floating axle doesnt matter. Their pulley is mounted to the axle, and is connected by belt to the motor which completely eliminates the floating axle and any absence of resistance. The only way it could be considered a floating axle is if it wasn't connected to anything. You can call it a floating axle all day long because without the pulley and hub it is. But as soon as you bolt something to that floating axle it sinks.

Ahh I see... That's what I thought. Good to know.

Back