• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Sun-thing battery, waiting 17 weeks!

lowbudget

10 W
Hi all, I ordered a battery from sun-thing on ebay, on Feb 17. I have not recieved it, nor do I have any idea where it is. 4 months is ridiculous. Anyone else experienced this? The riding season is passing.

From previous posts, seems like a crap shoot dealing with this vendor.

From a respected source.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69446&p=1047434&hilit=sunthing#p1047434
Another.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61927&p=991089&hilit=sunthing#p991089

If you bought on PayPal, you could put in a complaint form. I would have done that at around the 2 month mark, but would have waited 2 extra weeks before I did that. Not too sure what the process is with that. Stuff I bought on eBay from China would take 2 months. I think Fast Tech took 2.5 months or 3 months once. I bought PTFE Teflon wire from a guy in California where the post office sent it to Australia instead of Canada. He was kind enough to send another package and I ended up getting 2 packages of wire. Heres a plug for the guy http://www.apexjr.com

I should start a paypal dispute, but I need a batterry! If I get refunded, i still need to order a batterry, and wait, and i can only get maybe 15ah, in north america, canada specifically, for the same money. Then there is the 4 months that battery has been untended and possibly, tossed about. I don,t like it. Here,s some news. Canada post says they recieved yesterday, in Vancouver,and it has been sent for processing. Anyone have any idea how long that generally takes?

If its arrived in Vancouver then it should be at your place this week.
If you live on the East coast, end of this week, if not next week. Mountains and West should be very soon.
Most likely it will be going by ground.

Put in your dispute, it might have been nabbed and destroyed by customs.

Was there ever any tracking? It may have even been caught in china.

lowbudget said:
I should start a paypal dispute, but I need a batterry! If I get refunded, i still need to order a batterry, and wait, and i can only get maybe 15ah, in north america, canada specifically, for the same money. Then there is the 4 months that battery has been untended and possibly, tossed about. I don,t like it. Here,s some news. Canada post says they recieved yesterday, in Vancouver,and it has been sent for processing. Anyone have any idea how long that generally takes?
Put in the PayPal dispute anyway, it wont change anything if the battery has already been dispatched....but it will give you a chance to get your money back.
Even if something has been shipped and recieved in country, it could still be held by customs for weeks and even potentially seized if it was falsely declared as "toys" or similar as the Chinese are prone to doing !
There is also the (remote ?) possibility that you get scammed by them sending you a last minute " package" of junk just to generate the tracking details and fool you into not lodging that dispute until its too late !
.....it does happen ! :roll:

Thanks all, I don,t think I,ve been scammed, just an ungodly wait, but I am covering all the bases, just in case. I hope customs moves quickly, ya I know.

I dont really know about Canada customs. I doubt they hold anything unless they think its got drugs in it. They can tell through their xray scan very easily from what I can tell by the TV show "Border Security". I just think it takes a long time because the people in China ship it the cheapest way possible, by boat, so 2 months sometimes 3 months.

In my experience, a package inbound from China has some small chance of being randomly inspected by CCRA. A battery would have come in by sea, so that would account for much of the time that has passed so far. If Canada Post says it's in Vancouver, that's probably the case. If it's got to go through customs, it's probably a few more days before it hits the road to travel east to you. But I've had stuff sit there for a couple of weeks before getting put into the domestic mail stream.

I didn't read good. If it's tracking in Vancouver, it likely means it got through customs. Likely to arrive very soon, if not already. If he ships it with the bms unplugged, it should be fine, even after 4 months.

Still sitting in customs. Starting week 17. Jeez! Some deal, missing half the damn season. Should have been less greedy for ah,s and bought another Ping. This Sun-thing deal, has turned out to be much costlier, as far as I,m concerned. I,ve been chompin at the bit since the middle of April, and I still have no idea when it will arrive. Madness! Feelin like I,ve been hosed here.

lowbudget said:
Still sitting in customs. Starting week 17. Jeez! Some deal, missing half the damn season. Should have been less greedy for ah,s and bought another Ping. This Sun-thing deal, has turned out to be much costlier, as far as I,m concerned. I,ve been chompin at the bit since the middle of April, and I still have no idea when it will arrive. Madness! Feelin like I,ve been hosed here.

contact customs with the information.

I posted on another forum about this, but thought I,d put it here too. I bought a sun-thing battery on Feb19, and am still waiting. I am doing the paypal dispute thing, but havd little faith in coming out ahead in this deal. The riding season keeps rolling by, and I sit here. I,m out of patience, and depressed as hell. My bike is my only transportation, and now, the only time of the year, I get out. I offered to wait it out, for a 25% refund, but he refused. Instead offering 20% after the battery is delivered. I don,t believe he would honor it, even if I believed it fair, once I get the battery. I also wonder what to expect if it shows up damaged, or defective. More months of excuses? This has ended up costing much more, as far as I,m concerned, than it,s worth. I would have been riding 3 months ago, had I went with Ping, or grin, or cellman, etc. I think I had best try to get my money back, and do just that. What a nightmare.

I would buy another battery in the meantime to get you riding. Its not worth sitting around with no Ebike Grin

All available money is in sun-things's hands. I live on disability, and it was hard enough to save that much! Basically, I sat at home all winter, so I could sit at home all summer. I have a brain injury, and my bike is pretty much all I have. It is hell, watching my plans go up in smoke, wondering if I,ve been ripped off, if I,ll get out at all this season. Day after day, after day. Makes a Ping seem reasonably priced.

What is the voltage you are requiring maybe someone here on the forum has something second hand that can get you by in the meantime.

I also ordered a nice Li ion battery from Sun Thing

HAVE FAITH. I ordered mine near the end of February. It arrived the first week of June.

Batteries now must come by surface, and be labelled as hazardous goods now. The problem is the shipping my surface is completely different than by air. I think the containers sit in holding yards for long periods, and perhaps customs Canada is slow processing them. I am in British Columbia, so obviously it will take a while longer to get to Kitchener Ontario, where the OP is.

very nice 48V 12AH battery. real improvement over the long dead LiFe I was using (and Pb before that). much less voltage sag, nice alu case and lock system. But I had to dig around to find a PS plug with heavy guage wires in it.

and - you save a TON OF $$$ if you have the patience to wait for this excellent product

Are you the guys brother in law or something? What do I care how the shipping works, or how lovely your battery is. The guy said 8 weeks, not 18, or 20, or whatever ridiculous amount of time it takes. That you are happy about waiting 4 months, tells me you either didn,t need the batterry, or as i suspect, have some connection to Sun-thing. Personally, I,m pissed.

Like you, I grew very worried that my $300 was gone. And I am not connected to the vendor

There was no promise of 4 weeks or 8 weeks. They only gave estimates and the reality of shipping lithium batteries today is: the rules changed shortly after I ordered the battery. The rules are getting progressively tougher. The delays are completely out of the vendor's hands.

For an ebike battery, I see mine as a toy. I did not need the battery in any hurry. I however did not want to spend $900+ cdn (eg Ezee) for the same thing from a North American vendor. Nor did I want to spend 10x as much for a Specialized turbo, which is slower and fewer features.

I also think if you are the type that is reliant on this ebike tech for transportation, then you really ought to not be buying from chinese vendors. Buy local with local support and legal specifications.

cheers

Yeah ok Sun-thing, or mrs sun-thing , or whatever. I,m talking closer to $800, and I was told 8-9 weeks, no problem. I don,t believe this delay is any suprise to the vendor. I think he intentionally mislead me so I would buy this battery. Whatever the excuses, 18 weeks, is inexcusable, and that is best, I can expect. It,s a rip off, period. I just looked at his site, and he still says 13- 24 business days. He also says it will be shipped within 2 business days. Took 10 for mine. He knows these things aren,t true. Makes him a liar, and a cheat, not some victim of shipping rules.

The shipping times quoted prior to checkout are always bunk...they always quote "Express" (which is unavailable to us in Canada). The real shipping quote wouldn't be shown until checkout when you selected your shipping method.

Batteries from China by-surface can take up to 12 weeks which is why they 'seem' so cheap. My stupid VPower literally took max shipping time - right down to the last day - when I was about to call them and freak out.

If it's stuck in customs, you may have to call and see if they're waiting on any charges (I've had electronics held up and received a snail mail letter indicating I owed DHL for brokering or something dumb). Other than the max 12 weeks from vpower though, I've not had any other customs issues specifically regarding batteries.

Best of luck, hope it gets here sooner than later!!

Hey brother, 12 weeks was long ago! Lol. The estimated time for delivery was 13-24 days, when I paid, which I knew was nonsense, but this, this is too much. Do you know if, I can still cancel this on the visa? I,d like to end this I think. I don,t want to deal with this guy anymore, and I,d rather he didn,t get my money. Coulda saved enough for a decent pack by now, ferchrisakes. Anyway, sure threw a wrench into my world, anxiety and brain injury, don,t mix well. Hope your getting lot,s of riding in.

Back