Super73 Z1 - Grintech Baserunner Build/Mod

Ok - so here's the latest...

I decided to hook up my old KT controller, to see if there was a similar connector explosion, and it hooked up just fine. This would indicate that my batteries were not the issue, and that the baserunner was again at the root of my problems...

To get a second opinion, I took a trip to Swift Bike (great bike shop in Seattle). Turns out they have a very close relationship with Grin, and helped me diagnose that it was indeed the controller that was the issue. Additionally, I guess Grin had realized and acknowledged some serious quality issues with their V4 baserunners, and have low key been recalling them.

I noticed this posted on their website very recently, on the baserunner product page -

"V5 Devices: Since June 2022 we have been reworking the V4 baserunners PCBs on hand in order to have better mosfet robustness with 48V and 52V battery packs, and also updating the Cycle Analyst plug wiring so that the throttle output is wired to Analog Input 2 (Brake1) and not Analog Input 1 (Throttle). This eliminates the need to have the 9-2 pin adapter cable to short ebrake and throttle pins to achieve regenerative braking control via the Cycle Analyst. Otherwise all wiring and plug details remain identical to the V4 units."

(https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/baserunner.html)

Bottom line - I'm returning all of my Grin products (baserunner, cycle analyst, cables, etc). I've re-installed the KT-25A controller for now, and have a KT-35A on order. I've already noticed the KT-25A is substantially better performance than the baserunner did....though i'm not sure if i ever got a fully functioning baserunner to begin with, so it may be a bad comparison.

For anyone looking into a baserunner, I would avoid for now.

Hello, I have the same issue and would like some assistance since I am not to keen on electric bikes. I purchased a nonworking Super73 Z1, with a bad battery. I purchased a KT mosfet 9 controller, LCD 8HD screen, and a 48V 30AH battery. Everything works great, but after like 3 min of driving all power shuts down and I have to unplug the battery and re-connect it to power up the controller. Can you tell me what settings I need to insert? I followed the basic ones on YouTube, but something is not working in my behalf, I would love to get this up and make it reliable so my wife doesn't think my purchase was a waste. Thanks for your time.

vagabonbo said:
Hello, I have the same issue and would like some assistance since I am not to keen on electric bikes. I purchased a nonworking Super73 Z1, with a bad battery. I purchased a KT mosfet 9 controller, LCD 8HD screen, and a 48V 30AH battery. Everything works great, but after like 3 min of driving all power shuts down and I have to unplug the battery and re-connect it to power up the controller. Can you tell me what settings I need to insert? I followed the basic ones on YouTube, but something is not working in my behalf, I would love to get this up and make it reliable so my wife doesn't think my purchase was a waste. Thanks for your time.
Can you provide more information about your battery. Seem like that may be the problem. Better get a good story together for the wife.

That kind of symptom usually indicates a battery problem, where a cell group in it is dropping below the BMS's safety limit (LVC) so the BMS turns off the output to prevent damage that can lead to a fire.

If you provide links to each part you purchased, they may have info on them that will help us help you find the specific problem so you can either fix or replace that part.

vagabonbo said:
I purchased a nonworking Super73 Z1, with a bad battery. I purchased a KT mosfet 9 controller, LCD 8HD screen, and a 48V 30AH battery. Everything works great, but after like 3 min of driving all power shuts down and I have to unplug the battery and re-connect it to power up the controller. Can you tell me what settings I need to insert?

Back