Support on my 10S BMS

The BMS is protecting individual cells from dropping to low, the VESC only reacts on the total voltage. :wink:

Advantage of the VESC is the soft cut off though (start/end can be defined), which should be initiated earlier then hard BMS cutoff for overall voltage.

But it should not be an issue with the relatively stable vtc5 cells if the BMS is bypassed while discharging.

got it ! thanks !

this little BMS seems to be fairly a good deal for 12 USD ! I need to find a reliable 12S BMS now for an upcoming 12S3P :D

thanks all for the support and of course elkick, whitepony for the early advices! doing your own pack is really awesome and not that difficult if you are patient.

hmm, was the evolve charger still connected when you measured 42V? from my experience the charger cuts off below or maximum right about 41V, but of course its not a very sharp cutoff, since it just cuts after a minimum current threshold is activated. i would buy the cheap slow evolve charger - it doesnt make the annoying fan sound, charges with less juice for better lifetime (which isnt a big deal unless you want to ride multiple times a day) and cc/cv charges consistently to 41ish Volts, so youll get there with ANY 10S battery you create.

not sure what the fast charger is doing with a battery that isnt the evolve battery - it just goes on with 42V & constant current until some current threshold is activated, which is set to work with the evolve battery. a smaller battery probably activates that cutoff earlier, so it might stop charging even further below 42V.

In the end, if you want your battery to last, dont charge it very high, dont discharge it very low, keep the currents moderate and only operate it between 10-30°C ambient temperature. imo your BMS has very agressive settings that are just in place to prevent cell destruction, but dont really support longevity! :p

Oddly enough I still haven't received mine though I ordered it from GB to France (longest wait I had was 6 days for such an order).

I think I'll give it a last week of time.

Is yours working right btw? :)

Any links for a good BMS that is capable of high current and 12s.
Also what power supply are you using in order to charge the batteries?

at this time I am using Evolve slow charger but I need to get one that goes to more than 36/42V

for the BMS, i am going to try this one

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/12S-40A-50-4V-li-ion-BMS-PCM-battery-protection-board-bms-pcm-for-electric-bike/32380916723.html

hey guys!

got a try to JP spot welder, it's definitely awesome :D I just made a 12S2P Sony VTC5 lipo. I am wondering now if one could recommend me a charger for it.

does my evolve charger works with it ? I think it will charge at 4.2x10 and stop and not .... 4.2x12... 50,4V.

Thanks!

After 10s charging becomings a bit more difficult it's easier to use a BMS and a cc cv step up converter to reach the required voltage setup or split the pack into 2 6s 2p charge sperate and use a xt90 to series them cheap and easy always add balance leads after a bit of thinking on the charging setup to know what you need, I use a icharger 1010b+ 300w 10s does me great.

Vanarian said:
I received my BMS this morning! How small can this PCB be ?? :shock: I expected something twice the size and thickness!
I received a voltage buck board and it measured less than 2cm * 2cm I was shocked mind it did last a whole 20mins before dropping it output from 12v to 0.4v fryed.

Nordle said:
okp said:
thanks - I will get a 48V charger for electric bicycle batteries :D
You mean 42V (36V nominal)?

No okp wants to go up to 12S (his usual setups are 12S and videos are awesome) so 48V charger for nominal charge I think

Back