Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Jasonjm said:
so what is it like riding this thing on single track trails vs a 250cc?

obviously the 250cc has more power, more top end, and is an all around bigger bike, with a much larger rear tire.

but what about manouverability? is the sur ron at 100lbs much easier to manouver on trail? like for ruts, downhill sections etc?

what about grip? is the sur ron harder or easier for steep climbs vs a 250cc?

You really can't compare it to a 250cc dirt bike. As some have even commented on this before saying the sur ron was inadequate for them and a 250cc would have probably been fine for them.

Its good for what it is but it doesn't have the weight, heavy suspension, gearing, of a dirt bike. You are comparing a 200lbs bike to a 100 lbs bike. The Sur-Ron front fork weighs like 7 lbs.

If you can get away with riding a 250cc dirt bike then just get that.

The grip isn't good either unless you change the rear tire. I find it easily spins out, but is suitable for a stock sur-ron because the bike is not very powerful.

Offroader said:
You really can't compare it to a 250cc dirt bike. As some have even commented on this before saying the sur ron was inadequate for them and a 250cc would have probably been fine for them.

If my memory serves me correct, that was some dude who never even rode a Sur-Ron.

But I simply don't agree from first-hand knowledge of someone who grew up riding a 250 who was convinced he would rather ride a Sur Ron - and that was after his first ride! I let him take it out several times and his opinion did not change.

Where we ride, there really isn't much of an advantage for 250s. Super tight turns, loose pack, highly technical areas, hardly any open straightaways just don't favor the 250. I've totally kept up with the 250's that I have ridden with here.

And upgrading to run at 12KW, I don't even think it would be a contest. Sure, a 250cc technically has more raw horsepower, but it has to develop it, and I suspect the Sur-Ron would have a higher power to weight ratio.

Offroader said:
If you can get away with riding a 250cc dirt bike then just get that.

I don't think its anywhere near that simple. I could totally get away with riding a 250cc - but that's not at all what I want.

For one, as I mentioned where I live, 250s don't have much of an advantage. On the other hand, the advantages of the Sur Ron over IC are overwhelming: practically silent in comparison (more enjoyment riding), practically no noise pollution (doesn't upset the wildlife), no local emissions (no stinky petro, messy oil or exhaust), practically no maintenance, probably more reliable, practically costs nothing to run (like $0.004 per mile), less likely to break an ankle, no shifting gears (possibly more fun), you can pick the bike up over obstacles, greater stopping power due to less mass, etc.

For me, it comes down to what is more fun to ride and own. Which is hands down not a 250 for me.

Very true, probably best to start with the Sur-Ron first and then get a 250 if the sur-ron is lacking for you if you are not really sure and can't test ride both.

There is really nothing in the woods which would stop a sur-ron. It just may not have the same power as a 250, but you will be able to climb anything no matter how steep. I also ride over thick fallen trees easily. The rear tire should probably be upgraded if you go for a controller upgrade and don't want it to spin out easily on hills.

At least with the Sur-Ron you can carry it around or over things fairly easily if you get to places you can't ride over, especially if you remove the battery pack.

does that X controller on the sur ron have regen braking? or only the asi 4000 ones?

reading mixed things about X controller regen braking....

regen breaking (or engine braking) is great for downhill sections on bikes, so i definitely need that.

Jasonjm said:
does that X controller on the sur ron have regen braking? or only the asi 4000 ones?

regen breaking (or engine braking) is great for downhill sections on bikes, so i definitely need that.

My X controller bike has no regen. Most all of the x controller bikes have no regen, I've heard of nobody who has regen on their bike.

I did hear someone say that the new x bikes listed on Luna had regen, but I never looked and you would have to call them to verify if the new x bikes have regen.

I believe the issue they decided not to use regen was because of issues with hitting the high voltage cut-off when using regen on a freshly charged battery. At least someone mentioned this as a possible reason and makes sense.

Best to buy an aftermarket controller anyway for the bike.

Jasonjm said:

where are you located, usa?? Luna has the regen X controllers and bikes back in stock according to their current website listing..

"This is the X-controller with Regen breaking and quieter operation. 80amps of power (5200 watts)"
reference: lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike/

Any controller with regen is supposed to limit the regen when the pack voltage gets up to a preset value to prevent overcharging the pack. Really bad things could happen if the BMS trips during strong regen. Perhaps the early X controllers didn't have this feature or didn't have it set up properly.

I livein Los angeles, but my sur ron needs to go to Italy, so i found an Italian distributor.

The area my house is in Italy has lots of technical singletrack.

I am gonna give it a go, gonna get

Sur ron regular
asi 4000 controller kit (from electricRT hopefully that is right on just came up on google search)
bridgestone 403 tires
3 inch riser bars

hopefully that will be fun. will know in May when i try it out.

Jasonjm said:
I livein Los angeles, but my sur ron needs to go to Italy, so i found an Italian distributor.

The area my house is in Italy has lots of technical singletrack.

I am gonna give it a go, gonna get

Sur ron regular
asi 4000 controller kit (from electricRT hopefully that is right on just came up on google search)
bridgestone 403 tires
3 inch riser bars

hopefully that will be fun. will know in May when i try it out.

Che parte di Italia Stai Andando? Your tire selection is excellent along with your other listed mods, while you are at it, get the taller seat.

my house is in Lucca province, in Tuscanny. lots of hills and outdoors all around me.

anyone have a link to the taller seat? i have not seen that mod in all my searching.

Jasonjm said:
my house is in Lucca province, in Tuscanny. lots of hills and outdoors all around me.

anyone have a link to the taller seat? i have not seen that mod in all my searching.

Bellisimo!!! I spent a lot of time at my friend's grandparents house in Pascio Alta. You got some excellent riding over there. The SurRon website in China has a link to the taller seat, not sure if Luna is importing that seat or not.

Jasonjm said:

I live in province of Pisa on the seaside of Tuscany.
Would be very nice if we could meet on the tracks in the hills between Pisa and Lucca, I will go there with my Bomber :D

For the kind of riding I enjoy, mostly tight technical stuff, the Sur Ron is so much more pleasant to ride than a 250cc 4 stroke bike. A 250cc 2 stroke starts to get pretty amazing performance advantage over a Sur Ron, but if I had both bikes available to ride I bet the 250 never gets used.

Any recommendation for which forks to get from Luna?

I think I'm probably going to pull the trigger on one of these in the near future. I was looking at Luna Cycles site and it looks like they are offering two different fork options for the Surron X:

"New DNM Volcano DNM USD-8S Spring Fork (except orange colored bike which has a RST)"

Any recommendations for which one to go with? Also -- I'm a motorcycle rider and will be riding the Sur Ron in tight technical single track.

smr310 said:

I think I'm probably going to pull the trigger on one of these in the near future. I was looking at Luna Cycles site and it looks like they are offering two different fork options for the Surron X:

"New DNM Volcano DNM USD-8S Spring Fork (except orange colored bike which has a RST)"

Any recommendations for which one to go with? Also -- I'm a motorcycle rider and will be riding the Sur Ron in tight technical single track.
DNM is better than the RST. That said, if you want some really good suspension, plan on a fork upgrade.

sure, when i get my bike, lets go ride

ill be there may and then july and then maybe september if there isnt too much work in LA

smr310 said:

They both are bottom tier... well, not Zoom level, but not that great. The DMN will give you a little more room for more tire options, but it's not going to as rigid. People have swapped the spring out of the RST to a stiffer one from Rockshox, which is nice perk for the RST.

To be totally honest, you're much better off finding a used premium DH fork and swapping it out down the road. The sur ron fork options from the factory are as such to keep the total cost down. I imagine if it came with Fox, Rockshox, DVO, etc..., the base price of the bike would be $6000+.

I have the RST and I really don't notice much of a difference from my more expensive marzocchi 888 fork from 2016.

I could be wrong here but in my opinion even cheaper forks are good these days. Technology has improved and leveled off to some degree I believe, just like with most things these days when you can buy a $10 item as good as a $500 item for the most part.

For you to really notice differences between the Sur-Ron forks and more expensive forks, you would really have to be doing some serious riding or competition. If you are just going to do what probably 90% of us do here, mostly street with some off-road trails, you will not really benefit at all from an expensive fork or even notice much of any differences.

I could be wrong here but this is my opinion from trying different forks and I really don't notice all that much of a difference. The sur-ron suspension is really good and I don't see any reason to upgrade any of it. I prefer the RST because it is more rigid. I don't like the inverted forks (like the DNM) because it lacks the center support near the wheel and I can feel this when riding on the street, it tends to have a bit of a wobble in it because it twists easily.

I just had my Sur-Ron out for a short drive after not riding it since December. The brakes are also very good, they will instant lock the wheels if you squeeze them too hard. I would really see no reason to upgrade those either unless you don't like the feel. They will easily throw you over the handlebars if you squeeze them too hard.

The bike is really good, all it needs is a controller upgrade as it lacks power and acceleration. At least it lacks those compared to my 8KW hub bike which is much faster on the street. The Sur-Ron is better at climbing stairs and steeper hills.

The Sur-Ron also has a progressive suspension on the rear which really makes it feel soft at first, then gets harder. This probably also really helps the bike shine with cheaper suspension components.

The Sur-Ron cheaper suspension blows away my hub motor bike, even with my more expensive suspension on my hub motor bike. This is because the SUr-Ron doesn't have a 30 lbs motor in the rear wheel which just kills the suspension on the hub motor bike.

Rix said:
sur-ron suspension is really good and I don't see any reason to upgrade any of it.

Huh?

He is correct from his use perspective.

As he develops skills and starts taking more risks with more speed, he will get why upgrades to suspension rock.

most of the expensive DH forks you are paying top dollar for weight reduction above all else

the fork that comes on the sur ron looks like a heavy coil fork, which would be horrible on a DH bike (trying to keep the DH bike under 35 lbs), but on a 100 pound electric bike i bet the heavy coil fork is OK. we shall see when i get mine.

a top performance fork is only necesary on a dh bike when you are doing things like hitting large rock gardens at 30 mph, or doing big drops (8 feet+)

i can hardly imagine anyone is doing that on a sur ron, if someone is, please post videos.

i tried my luck at the chinese website to find the higher seat, but my chinese is just not good enough, got lost trying to navigate to wherever it might be hiding.

Most of the expensive forks are air sprung, which supposedly are not as good as coil but are lighter and probably more expensive.

We really don't have many options right now at all for quality coil forks in 26". Most coils are only offered in 27.5" now.

The Marzocchi 888 coil fork I have has an open bath design so it holds much more oil and needs less servicing which I like.

Probably the best fork right now is the DVO emerald inverted. It is an air sprung fork unfortunately but is inverted and has a brace to stiffen it. It has something called OTT adjustment to help with the drawback of having an air sprung fork. It also holds lots of oil. It is on the heavy side, and most down hill bike riders don't like this but it doesn't matter for our 110lbs bikes. This is the fork I would purchase, but I really see no reason to switch out the RST fork.

Back