Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

The new Solar (a well established e scooter brand) Eclipse may dethrone the Sur-ron.

Carbon fiber frame, more AH in the battery, uprated suspension and brakes, regen braking, higher max and continuous watt rating...

The new Solar (a well established e scooter brand) Eclipse may dethrone the Sur-ron.

Carbon fiber frame, more AH in the battery, uprated suspension and brakes, regen braking, higher max and continuous watt rating...

Looks like the motor will be the skid plate and carbon fiber for a dirt bike frame sounds kinda weak.Will make a good road bike though.

Cool. Maybe I can get a good deal on a surron from the 14 year olds who get these as Christmas gifts this year.

sur ron

Can't help myself but loving this e-motorcycle! Few little upgrades here and there and it's perfect. :)

Can't help myself but loving this e-motorcycle! Few little upgrades here and there and it's perfect. :)
A 60% scale motorcycle is great if you're a 60% scale human. I'm a 125% scale human and Sur-ron looks like a little kid's toy.

A 60% scale motorcycle is great if you're a 60% scale human. I'm a 125% scale human and Sur-ron looks like a little kid's toy.

Thats why Sur Ron, besides the Light Bee, also make the Ultra Bee and the Storm Bee. The latter is more suitable for your size "human/Bigfoot" types ;)

I think Talaria has a better chance of rivalling the Sur Ron:

Thats why Sur Ron, besides the Light Bee, also make the Ultra Bee and the Storm Bee. The latter is more suitable for your size "human/Bigfoot" types ;)
Ah, they also make a little kid's motocross bike along with the pit bike. Cute.

:)

You need to build an EV version of this:

Now that is an inspirational vehicle. No fun at all to ride as regular transportation, I'm guessing, but inspirational nonetheless. When I rode motorcycles, they were mostly 1100cc standards.

My own dream e-bike would probably be more like a hotted up 36er with a 4kW Cyclone driving the left crank Stokemonkey style, and a 3X3Nine hub.
IMG_1577_720x.jpg

What is holding you back actually building that dream bike?
Budget. Backlog of other projects. 3X3Nine hub apparently not available to mere mortals yet.

As a part time bicycle mechanic, my income is about 1/3 of the local median. That makes me bias hard towards personal projects that use resources I don't have to pay money for.

Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike first offered by DT(45) aka the orange man of e-bikes now persona non grata.

Two-speed belt drive on the Sur Ron would be sick!!

Yeah I've been thinking about the same thing. Do you think a 2 speed would be good?

Yeah I've been thinking about the same thing. Do you think a 2 speed would be good?
It's probably cheaper and easier to get all the same advantages and more by simply adding power and battery capacity. Multiple speeds for the motor only make sense if motor power is the limiting factor. If you're already riding an illegal bastard bike, what do you care? Just turn it up as much as you like.

It's probably cheaper and easier to get all the same advantages and more by simply adding power and battery capacity. Multiple speeds for the motor only make sense if motor power is the limiting factor. If you're already riding an illegal bastard bike, what do you care? Just turn it up as much as you like.
Why not have both?

Why not have both?
Because if your motor power is in abundance, then multiple motor gears don't help. They only add weight, expense, complexity, points of failure, and interruption in power delivery when you switch gears.

The first Tesla (Roadster) was intended to have a two speed transmission, but ultimately that feature was abandoned because there were technical problems with it and it didn't improve performance. They never returned to that plan for other models.

I agree with Chalo. A few electronic upgrades to a sur-ron can give you an abundance of torque. It just seldom worth the complexity of the multispeed.

If some design constraint forces you to use a very small motor AND you need a huge difference in operating speed then maybe its worth pursuing. So if your sur ron needs to tow 500lbs uphill but also highway commute then maybe a 2 speed would help. But given that people are running 40kw sur rons with just electrical upgrades its hard to believe anyone needs shiftable gears.

FWIW, there are a number of (long) threads discussing the advantages and disadvantages of multigear drivetrains vs single-speed, in various usages and situations. The Xenforo search doesn't find them very easily, but a google site search of this forum probably would.

"Can't help myself but loving this e-motorcycle! Few little upgrades here and there and it's perfect. :)" Gasser
"A 60% scale motorcycle is great if you're a 60% scale human. I'm a 125% scale human and Sur-ron looks like a little kid's toy." Chalo
"Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike first offered by DT(45) aka the orange man of e-bikes now persona non grata." Maj. Tom
"Two-speed belt drive on the Sur Ron would be sick!!"
"It's probably cheaper and...."Chalo

Meanwhile months ago and now on sale during the prime season the Mad Genius Eric Hicks created another dependable popular profitable electric motorcycle Talaria Sting R MX 4 Trail Bike upon which I would break my neck.
TALARIA_R_04_WATERMARKED__50577.jpg

Back