Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

2023 Ultra Bee
4 KW/h battery
12.5 KW peak
187 pounds
Regen + Traction control
Under seat trunk to hold charger
MSRP $6499

I'm not going to lie; looks real nice, but I want lighter not heavier.

Or same weight with more power and capacity (possible since my pack is 4+ years old).

[youtube]vFs947OEhac[/YouTube]

3DTOPO said:

Or same weight with more power and capacity (possible since my pack is 4+ years old).
How? The extra capacity alone would be 20#+ adder to a light bee. Doubling the motors power isn't a free lunch either.

I have one on order already. Anxiouslly awaiting the chinese new year celebrations to wrap up for things to get rolling again. I *LOVE* that it has a bigger frame, better brakes, better suspension, more capacity, more power, and room for a larger rear tire. Quick comparison looks to be getting close to my KTM Freeride E yet 60# lighter! I think they hit another home run.

smdub said:
3DTOPO said:

How? The extra capacity alone would be 20#+ adder to a light bee. Doubling the motors power isn't a free lunch either.

I didn't say I wanted the same 4KW capacity; just more than I have now. My battery tech is 4+ years old, so I'm sure it's possible to have say 2KW/h come in lighter than my 1.5KW/h battery.

The motor is fine, people been running them at peak 12KW for years. Just needs a battery with more amps and a new controller.

Gotcha. You're just looking for a LB 2.0 :)

I suspect the Ultra Bee motor will take a much higher peak. I'm running 18kW+ peak on my LightBee and I know it's days are numbered. If truly thrashing it, the LB motor goes into temp shutdown too. The peak isn't so much the problem its the continuous. The KTM E is ~24kW peak IIRC and it won't go up some hills. Need moar powah! Hoping to be able to get at least the same on the UB. I probably should order another Nucular 24F now...

smdub said:

Exactly.

smdub said:
I suspect the Ultra Bee motor will take a much higher peak. I'm running 18kW+ peak on my LightBee and I know it's days are numbered. If truly thrashing it, the LB motor goes into temp shutdown too. The peak isn't so much the problem its the continuous. The KTM E is ~24kW peak IIRC and it won't go up some hills. Need moar powah! Hoping to be able to get at least the same on the UB. I probably should order another Nucular 24F now...

Yeah, honestly even 6KW peak power isn't an issue for me, I can get up the steepest terrain and trails tend to be quite technical and super windy in these parts. So I prefer greater agility over greater power...

Thinking a storm bee would be fun to have in the stable and turn it into a super moto or something. Love my lbx as it's nimble and fun to ride. Would be neat if they came out with a v2 72v version as that's what most people end up doing. Overall they build a great bike

Storm bee looks like a good value compared to so many other electric motorcycles on the market. Seems like every week there is another new company with a small light bee size offering for $10k usd.

Storm bee is $8500 which is about what a honda or yamaha mx bike will cost these days right?

Downside to the storm bee is 290lbs.

DanGT86 said:
Downside to the storm bee is 290lbs.
Downside to the Storm Bee is a used Alta is better, lighter, and cheaper.

Does anyone know if it is possible to read the charge cycles from the original BMS? I bought a used battery for my light bee and would like to know the charge cycles.

SRfirefly said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to read the charge cycles from the original BMS? I bought a used battery for my light bee and would like to know the charge cycles.

I believe measuring remaining capacity would be more useful.

Does anyone know the Kv or constant voltage of the stock X motor?

Wattster said:
Does anyone know the Kv or constant voltage of the stock X motor?

about 85-89.

3DTOPO said:
smdub said:

Exactly.

smdub said:

Yeah, honestly even 6KW peak power isn't an issue for me, I can get up the steepest terrain and trails tend to be quite technical and super windy in these parts. So I prefer greater agility over greater power...

Agreed. A modified LB has PLENTY of power. Mine is 16KW or so. To lift a weight of 1000Kg (2200 lbs) 10M straight up in 10 sec requires only 9.8KW. It's all about traction and control. The bigger rear tire and weight of the UB will help in that regard, but my modified LB rear tire does pretty good too, and the LB fits me much better and is much more fun to ride than my larger bikes (at 66, I've shrunk to 5'6", 135lbs).

Hey guys. I'm facing some problem and I went through a lto to solve it unfortunately I still lack solution. Maybe someone can help (I've digged up this forum and couldn't find similar case).
1.I've tunned Surron S (or Youth) into X
2.I've cut speed limiter wire (black-green) in battery harness
3.I've build 16S12P 60V battery using Panasonic GA which should provide 120A continous. It has 300A peak, 120A continous AntBMS
4.After instalation of X controler I was expecting power and torque increase but nothing changed. Battery BMS is showing only 60A takken insted of 80A
5.I've bridged 2 pins in COM plug as it was suggested by few ppl but still nothing (looking at schematics its green ground & black/blue COM. I wonder if for example S have similar harness as X or different?
6.Does anyone have idea which signals should be bridged or if there is something else that I'm missing?

I think you should be pulling about 80A with a stock X controller. I am not aware of any programming other than the speed limiter wire and regen braking level.
The X controller should be the same pinout as the old controller. Possibly you have a bad controller?

Ich denke, Sie sollten mit einem serienmäßigen X-Controller ungefähr 80 A ziehen. Mir ist keine andere Programmierung als der Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzerdraht und die Bremsenergierückgewinnung bekannt.
Der X-Controller sollte die gleiche Pinbelegung wie der alte Controller haben. Vielleicht hast du einen defekten Controller?
Ich habe einen älteren "x-Controller", für hohe Leistung muss das grüne Kabel geschlossen werden........ SD05PF060A20

Ich habe einen älteren "x-Controller", für hohe Leistung muss das grüne Kabel geschlossen werden........ SD05PF060A20
My controler is from 2021 so is this the case. As I have written back when it was 48V I had to cut green wire to unlock it.

Does anyone know the names of the connectors on a lbx? Specifically the throttle, kick stand and brake sensors? Want to make a adapter harness for a different controller

I just entered the serial number in the space for VIN on the registration form. In the space for "special features" I put "electric".
DMV system apparently doesn't support dashes or spaces in the name so the registration shows the manufacturer as "SURRO"

When applying use SURRON for the manufacturer and LIGHTBEE for the model.

I also incorrectly stated you don't need a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license. You do. Either M1 or M2 is required for a moped.

Maximum speed allowed is 30mph. 2hp max power. We're bending the rules a bit here but in EP mode it's pretty close. Also the power input to the controller will be quite a bit more than what you get at the wheel.

Looking for an exciting outdoor activity? Try adult-size electric dirt bikes! We've chosen the top models designed to provide you with an adrenaline rush and a thrilling experience.

Last edited:
I just entered the serial number in the space for VIN on the registration form. In the space for "special features" I put "electric".
DMV system apparently doesn't support dashes or spaces in the name so the registration shows the manufacturer as "SURRO"

When applying use SURRON for the manufacturer and LIGHTBEE for the model.

I also incorrectly stated you don't need a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license. You do. Either M1 or M2 is required for a moped.

Maximum speed allowed is 30mph. 2hp max power. We're bending the rules a bit here but in EP mode it's pretty close. Also the power input to the controller will be quite a bit more than what you get at the wheel.
Which state? They are all very different

Does and know the hall angle and pole pairs of the stock lbx motor? Thanks!

Anyone have any tips for keeping the motor cooled? I drilled some holes in the skid plate and cleaned up the wiring in front of the motor and went with lightest tires I could find. But she still getting hot doing hill climbs. (goes into limp mode at 88c) 72v bac4000 64t sprocket and I am only running level 3 of 5 in Eggrider. Thinking maybe some kind of fairing to direct more air to the motor? Anyone make something like that? Would a 12v fan like a Spal be worth the effort? And should I have it blowing on the motor or pulling away from the motor. :unsure: Any tips would be much appreciated! :)

Video from my first ride on the bike:

Back