Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Noillek said:
Seems that is a newer version, has a vehicle number and besides blinkers has everything to become road legal, even a document stating that has speed limit 20km/h I guess that is for registration purposes.

Interesting! What's the format of the vehicle number and how many characters?

Could you also share the document that says it's limited to 20km/hr?

Does anyone have a source on where to buy inner tubes for this in the US, either online or if I should try calling local mx shops?

First day out I ran over a lucky 3 inch nail and shredded the inner tube.
I've been trying to search for a place to buy a tube for a bit now but cannot find one. Even CST the tire and tube brand which came on these doesn't list tubes for this tire size on their website.

For reference the tube size (rear) is 2.00/2.25-19

the part number on the tube is 22018011

That was the first flat I've gotten on anything bigger than a bicycle. I was cruising around 40mph when it went flat. Got real soft in the back and I pulled over. The bike was very stable the entire time. I always had an assumption it would be difficult to control a bike with a flat I guess.

icecreamketo said:
Does anyone have a source on where to buy inner tubes for this in the US, either online or if I should try calling local mx shops?

When I upgraded the tires I picked up one of these in case I pinched the tube https://amzn.to/2LZ0zGC

Haven't needed to install it, but should be a perfect fit. All though, my stock (and my upgraded) tire is 70/100x19, not sure why your tire is in inches?

3DTOPO said:
When I upgraded the tires I picked up one of these in case I pinched the tube https://amzn.to/2LZ0zGC

Haven't needed to install it, but should be a perfect fit. All though, my stock (and my upgraded) tire is 70/100x19, not sure why your tire is in inches?

Ok that makes sense. I was looking up based on what the inner tube said which is in inches. My tire has regular markings 70-100 but I didn't think for whatever reason to look them up based on that. Seems there's plenty of options to choose from when you search for the right thing.

After I made the above post I did end up finding them from an online retailer going by the inches measurement. These are a bit cheaper but maybe quality wise not as good?
https://www.speedaddicts.com/motorcycle/vee-rubber-motorcycle-inner-tube-2-00-2-25-19-tr4

3DTOPO said:
Luna is now accepting pre-orders for a battery pack made with Samsung 30q cells for $1400. No other details are offered, any guesses?

I got some information from Luna. They state that the 30q battery pack will discharge up to 15-amps compared with the stock Panasonic cells that will discharge at a max of 10-amps and a upgraded controller would be needed to take advantage of the increased power.

Edit: I neglected to mention the 30q pack has the same capacity.

icecreamketo said:

First day out I ran over a lucky 3 inch nail and shredded the inner tube.

May I suggest dropping the inner tube completely? Turn it into a tubeless tire. Tubeless is less stress if you do get a puncture. Just pull out that tubeless repair kit and replace that 3 inch nail with one of the "plugs". Air up and you are ready to go. Two minuets from flat to ready to roll again. Max. You won't have to remove wheel, no hazzle with tire irons to break the bead. Just one plug an off you go riding. Btw weight watchers might like that it can save a few grams of rotating mass too. Especially for those who ride with them heavy duty off road inner tubes.

Look at youtube and search for ghetto style tubeless for details who to do this.

Noillek said:
Here are the images of the assembly...

Seems that is a newer version, has a vehicle number and besides blinkers has everything to become road legal, even a document stating that has speed limit 20km/h I guess that is for registration purposes.

4F3D1693-60DB-4D38-B50D-55480D018D65.jpeg

29D792DF-B627-4636-9383-E478DEFACDAB.jpeg

8F7BFE06-5649-4AE3-899D-333417F907FB.jpeg

1DF8B9C3-0C97-4446-9722-5C98919790D1.jpeg

Is this your bike? If so, where did you buy it with a VIN? Where are you located? Could be good news for us waiting for a street legal version!

johnrobholmes said:
I did a 5 month review. Probably nothing new to yall here, so I kinda forgot to post it. I'm feeling about the same today, loving to ride it a lot.

Missed this earlier, nice review Rob. If you want a great on-road/off-road tire for the rear, look as the Shinko SR241 in either the 2.75-17 or 3.00-17. These tires measure a bit bigger than their advertised size, the 2.75 is actually just a couple of mm under 3" wide and the 3.00 is around 3.3 to 3.4 inches wide. In my avatar profile picture, I am running the SR241 3.00-17 on the rear of my Bomber. its 3.3 inches wide mounted on a 1.40 wide MC rim.

n2mb said:
Is this your bike? If so, where did you buy it with a VIN? Where are you located? Could be good news for us waiting for a street legal version!

All Light Bee V2 come with a VIN, but that doesn't mean it's legal to use it on the road since it can still reach 73km/h and it's not registered in EU under A1 category. For using it legally on the street, you would have to buy the specific L1e homologated model, which is limited to 45km/h and also comes with a better headlight, mudguards and rear-view mirrors to comply with countries regulations.

racingame said:
n2mb said:

All Light Bee V2 come with a VIN, but that doesn't mean it's legal since it can still reach 73km/h and it's not registered in EU under A1 category. For using it legally on the street, you would have to buy the specific L1e model homologated for use on the road limited to 45km/h, which also has a better headlight, mudguards and rear-view mirrors to comply with countries regulations.

In the US I just need a VIN number and maybe the certificate of origin to be able to register it as a Moped. The ECO mode should be enough to limit it to 30 mph and keep it legal.

Who is shipping the Light Bee V2?

I thought the current batch of bikes shipping from Luna don't have a VIN. Can anyone in the US that just received theirs comment?

n2mb said:
racingame said:
n2mb said:

All Light Bee V2 come with a VIN, but that doesn't mean it's legal since it can still reach 73km/h and it's not registered in EU under A1 category. For using it legally on the street, you would have to buy the specific L1e model homologated for use on the road limited to 45km/h, which also has a better headlight, mudguards and rear-view mirrors to comply with countries regulations.

In the US I just need a VIN number and maybe the certificate of origin to be able to register it as a Moped. The ECO mode should be enough to limit it to 30 mph and keep it legal.

Who is shipping the Light Bee V2?

I thought the current batch of bikes shipping from Luna don't have a VIN. Can anyone in the US that just received theirs comment?

Oh ok, I didn't consider you were from US. Living in US, you can just buy from Luna since it's the exclusive agent, but I don't know about which version they have. You should either try to ask them directly or look at the latest reviews posted by users on their site to see if there is a photo with a grey tag on the right side of the bike. I just know that some time ago they ordered a container with 100 bikes and it was still the old version, but it has been several months since that.

n2mb said:
Noillek said:

Yes this is my bike... see below pictures that I took from the info.

11F76941-A9A2-41CB-AD40-214F4D6A0D99.jpeg

Comes ready to install all the road goodies... brake light, front light... it clearly feels just a few steps away for an official road version.

Noillek said:
n2mb said:
Noillek said:

Comes ready to install all the road goodies... brake light, front light... it clearly feels just a few steps away for an official road version.

Does it have a 17 digit VIN? That engraved number looks like 15.

WrongWayJefe said:
Noillek said:
3DTOPO said:
Noillek said:
Can anyone post a picture or video on how to disconnect the brake cut off switch, I’m used to wheelie on normal bikes and motorbikes and this feature really pisses me off.

I haven't done it myself; but you just unplug the wires going to the break levers.

Thanks I will give a try... if anyone knows a easy way to remove the lights without cutting wires that would also be great.

You will need to take off the plate with the ignition switch in order to access the plugs for the brake cut-off and headlight. On mine it was neccesary to remove the battery cover by pulling the c-clips with needle nose pliers that secure the pins it rotated on, then remove the pins and the cover. After that it’s the two allen head bolts that secure the ignition cover. The brake cut-off switches and headlight all terminate in the same black housing.

Thanks for the explanation... here are the images that I took along the process. Easy and straight forward, only the rear light is part of a bigger harness and is not easy to separate from the rest, although I manage to just hide the cabe in the frame.

51E8A688-139A-41F7-9090-3D2C13ED8F0D.jpeg
1) remove ignition plastic cover

784866FC-DC0F-4498-8055-0DB4B0479B47.jpeg
2) remove battery lid

17C15BDA-55F6-45B0-9328-C810B33675B2.jpeg
3) cables from brake switch and front light

9A439258-60E4-4277-AABA-A9AF7D54B1ED.jpeg
4) rear brake cables

9FD7A666-2934-4F58-B9F4-E3D6FA939811.jpeg
5) bike without lights and license plate

199597F3-0C06-4D93-8B0F-A74706EDA097.jpeg
6) another side view after removal of brake switches and lights

I’m very excited with this bike it rides very well.

Here a comparison with my eBike, looks like a toy
6891A67B-627D-42BA-9A3B-D38DC78A42A6.jpeg
It’s an Haibike allmtn 6.0

47FB7F2F-7947-4A9A-923B-9C4A2A267066.jpeg
Super practical I just used my bike rack to bring it to the open field. (battery out and goes inside de trunk of the car)

Noillek said:
n2mb said:
Noillek said:

The bike you have is the same spec and build that everyone else has, bar the DNM fork.
We received bikes in March with similar chassis numbers 1250+ so very close in build date I would guess.
The road legal bikes will need 2 more digits.

Aebrennan said:
For those interested check out the helpful file Luna has created for those not so well informed on the bikes.

http://electricmotorcycle.com/2018/06/18/sur-ron-facts-and-myths/

Heh - they claim: "There is no special edition of the Sur-Ron coming out". Clearly that is false with Model X that has been announced and supposed to start shipping.

Also, they claim no one has tried to register one. I have and the DMV states that a Certificate of Origin is required.

Part of that mythbuster article was really good and to the point. Some of it, well not so much.
VIN number? The pics to prove it exist is just a few posts up on this very site.

About the China buying option. It is still an option to buy from China. Maybe a little troublesome but doable for anyone that so desire. Saving money doing that? Well in the end I don't it will much of a saving because they buying process is not straight forward and seems to require two step shipping, one domestic in China first then the over sea shipping. But doable still.

Motor variations. OK? If there was hardly no difference why did the first motor ended up being swapped? Is there maybe more to this then what Luna is saying? I don't know the answer, but I do know people where stoked when the new motor came. Ask around if you know people who have owned both motors.

About the street legal version. I think there might be some slightly variations depending on the market. Seems EU will get road legal bikes this summer. Final verdict should be within a month or so.

Certificate of origin might not be mandatory for getting plates, but it sure wouldn't lessen your chances. And here I think Luna is taking kind of a defensive approach, telling their customers to get off their asses and do the job themselves. At least Luna should push hard for getting a Certificate of Origin on the bikes that they import. It will be a lot easier for Luna as a US distributor to put pressure on Sur Ron then for each individual customer that feel they need COC.

I think many of those that already bought the bike could not care less about street legal or license plate. They bought the bike knowing it didn't have this and bike has served them just fine. Some of the customers in spe, might have different view on that legal thing. They might not wanna sink money into a bike that they don't know how the outcome will be. Maybe Luna could try to find the time to assist one with the legal issues if for nothing else so that they can post a "this is what is needed to obtain license plate in this state" story.

White Ghost. A man can dream, right? :lol:
I've been told price will be higher then the Firefly but 10 000? Well we clearly got different information on this one. As this is still not production ready and out for sale, the final status remain to be seen. 5000-7000 $ is my "guess". Might be more then one version. I don't think thee will be a conflict of interest between the two bikes. As they cater to very different needs and wants.

Just to be clear. Luna is showing great interest in this bike and I do love that they look into modding it, getting more power and the fact that they will also sell upgraded battery. So I am not bashing Luna here, I got nothing but respect I just think some of the mythbusters might not be bulls eye dead center.

macribs said:
Part of that mythbuster article was really good and to the point. Some of it, well not so much.
VIN number? The pics to prove it exist is just a few posts up on this very site.

I didn't see a VIN posted, just a serial number on the bike and a plate saying its limited to 20km/hour (btw: isn't that fraudulent since the bike clearly goes faster than that?)

Re: the Certificate of Origin, Luna told me "we want nothing to do with it", which I think is very disappointing. Their website used to claim: "You can install a light kit on the Sur-Ron and then go down to your DMV and register it as a small motorcycle.". When I told Gary that a Certificate of Origin was required in my state, and pointed out that their website was advertising that it was easy to get registered with the DMV, he stated "Fair point about the DMV text on listing, we have removed it to avoid any further confusion". He admitted that was most likely a liability issue and I said I would sign a notarized disclaimer if they helped me get a Certificate. No luck.

For the most part, I am fine without registering it since I live 10 miles outside a town of 300-people. However, I would like to be able to ride it into town, and not worry about getting harassed when I take it camping.

I thought it was a bit flip to say we need to get off our asses when I already have and without success.

Re: 10k for the White Ghost. I agree with you there too, there is no way (based on the specs posted) that it could compete at that price. Mind as well buy a vastly more capable Zero for that price-range.

Adviced sale price in europe is 4500 euro.

Would this be a street legam version? different controller?
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FSurRon.bike%2Fposts%2F1718319121549437&width=500" width="500" height="677" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

macribs said:
Certificate of origin might not be mandatory for getting plates, but it sure wouldn't lessen your chances. And here I think Luna is taking kind of a defensive approach, telling their customers to get off their asses and do the job themselves. At least Luna should push hard for getting a Certificate of Origin on the bikes that they import. It will be a lot easier for Luna as a US distributor to put pressure on Sur Ron then for each individual customer that feel they need COC.

P.S. IMHO they really shouldn't be challenging their customers (if not insulting them) to get them registered. Its actually quite surprising that Luna isn't the "first" to get one registered and document the process they went through. You know; lead by example.

macribs said:
I am not bashing Luna here, I got nothing but respect I just think some of the mythbusters might not be bulls eye dead center.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems electricmotorcycle.com is Luna up to their old tricks again - making a website thinly veiled as independent journalism when really it's a platform to promote their products ? There's no way the white ghost will be that sort of money. Their busted myths sound suspiciously like "nothing else is coming or it'll be crazy expensive, so buy now" marketing tactics. The silly thing is these bikes sell themselves on their own merits, they don't have to go the fake news route :|

Hyena said:
macribs said:
I am not bashing Luna here, I got nothing but respect I just think some of the mythbusters might not be bulls eye dead center.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems electricmotorcycle.com is Luna up to their old tricks again - making a website thinly veiled as independent journalism when really it's a platform to promote their products ? There's no way the white ghost will be that sort of money. Their busted myths sound suspiciously like "nothing else is coming or it'll be crazy expensive, so buy now" marketing tactics. The silly thing is these bikes sell themselves on their own merits, they don't have to go the fake news route :|

Well put, and, is this not shady? The link no longer works, now says "Account Suspended".

I really want to love Luna, but time and time again I can't help but feel disappointed. They really have a chance to go big (while doing the right thing) and seem to be blowing it.

Back