Surly bridge club frame

IMHO the BC makes a great base for an ebike kit. The BC is very strong and has very standard dimensions. 100mm front,, 138mm rear dropout spacing for hub motors, standard 73mm BB width, and lots of clearance for BB mounted mid drives, lots of tire spacing and can handle a wide variety of 26, 27.5 or 700c wheels. The overall geometry is middle of the road, it's supposed to be an adventure bike so it's designed for the combination of both road and trail riding.

What to watch for ... there isn't a lot of front chainring clearance. It's normally limited with a single ring to about a 38t (but duals and triples give you a lot more big ring capacity ... and if you do go with a front derailleur you'll also need to pay close attention to the offset). The front fork is very rigid (required for racks/bags) and does transmit quite a bit of shock so running softer front tires helps a lot with hand comfort.

Agree with the above especially if you already have the frame. For me, since the bike is rigid, I'd probably select a 26" MTB (since I have frame(s) that would accommodate either mid or hub. I'd probably add a suspension saddle. However, the BC is superior in braze ons .

Dont have the frame as yet. Looking for a strong XL steel frame to build with the leaf motor 1500W. Need spacincing for at least 2.5 inch tires.
Any suggestions highly appreciated. Been trying to find a good frame for awhile.
Thanks

If you don't run fenders then 27.5 x 2.5" tires will fit (I can just fit the stock 2.4" tires under 60mm fenders but it's tight). For a new build where you want more rubber I might go with 26" wheels and 3" tires. If the build is more for a street/trail commuter type of bike I'd might also look at a minimal travel (50-80mm) suspension front fork. It will upset the "ideal" geometry (raising the front end a bit more than what was originally designed but with the 26" wheels it won't be a big difference at all).

The rear dropouts are nice and beefy but I'd still run good torque arms with that big motor (I run a 500w Shengyi on my BC without arms just fine).

Back