Switched to a Sinewave controller and top speed went down?

Klauts

10 W
Good morning everyone! So I finally got my Sinewave controller installed and it's running smoothly for the most part, WAY more efficient too kindve shocked actually.

I was pulling 700-850w to maintain 30km/h on the throttle alone with my old squarewave, with the Sinewave the most I've seen drawn once I've reached speed is 430w 🤯

The only issue is, my top speed used to be 35Km/h unassisted now it tops out at 30km/h?

All settings are the same as before so I'm at a loss.

Thanks for taking the time to read another of my rambles 😅

How many volts and watts are you controllers rated for?

Klauts said:
I was pulling 700-850w to maintain 30km/h on the throttle alone with my old squarewave, with the Sinewave the most I've seen drawn once I've reached speed is 430w 🤯

And why is sine-wave more efficient? :?

Klauts said:

That's a lot of watts for 30 km/h. Is that on flat ground? I would expect around 350W or so.

What I recall reading is that you get a smooth constant flow with sinewave. The sq-wave pumps out in hard impulses to create a constant flow. This interruption might account for waste but those impulses are harder. Perhaps the sine wave smooth flow is slow-efficient push but not as ample or strong. I'm no expert on this I just get any decent controller and ride

Sine itself is no less strong than trap.

The difference is likely a setting that's different between the two (even if the setting *value* is the same, the firmware may respond differently).

Also, if there is a three speed switch (or wires for the purpose), if it is set to high on the faster one, but default on the slower one....

Current limit might also be different (either in settings or firmware), which could slow the top speed if it was being limited by power.

Also...if previous rides were in warmer weather, the battery might have less sag then and allow a faster speed vs now.

Or if the battery is different in other ways.

E-HP said:
Klauts said:

That's a lot of watts for 30 km/h. Is that on flat ground? I would expect around 350W or so.

It's quite a heavy bike with 2 batteries mounted and 20×4" tires.

Probably weighs around 75# with both batteries mounted

amberwolf said:
Sine itself is no less strong than trap.

The difference is likely a setting that's different between the two (even if the setting *value* is the same, the firmware may respond differently).

Also, if there is a three speed switch (or wires for the purpose), if it is set to high on the faster one, but default on the slower one....

Current limit might also be different (either in settings or firmware), which could slow the top speed if it was being limited by power.

Also...if previous rides were in warmer weather, the battery might have less sag then and allow a faster speed vs now.

Or if the battery is different in other ways.

Amberwolf once again comes to the rescue!

I changed the max speed setting from 35km/h to 40km/h on a whim and it's back to the full speed my motor windings will allow (35km)

Thank you!

Back