switchmode power supply trips when trying to charge ebike battery

bike4life

10 W
I have a 12s a123 cell / lifepo4 battery pack. they suggest 3.6 volts per cell charging. here is the data sheet:
https://www.batteryspace.com/prod-specs/6610.pdf

I am feeding it 42.2 volts from the switching supply to the battery and however when i plug the switch mode supply in to the battery with the positive on the positive and the negative on the bms pack -, it immediately trips and stops generating power.

when i unplug the switching supply from the battery it turns on again and starts generating power.

The ebike battery is 37 volts - empty. Why is the switching supply crapping out when charging?

thanks. my reasoning is I think i remember a long time ago, i needed to add a boost converter to the output of the switching supply to act as an isolation transformer. I believe when charging a battery at 37v, then the voltage drop at the switching suppply will be the same as the battery so it will drop from 42 volts to 37v, tricking the switching supply into tripping out as the voltage is too low, but the boost converter will act as an isolation i think. Is my reasoning false or true.

bike4life said:
I have a 12s a123 cell / lifepo4 battery pack. they suggest 3.6 volts per cell charging. here is the data sheet:

I am feeding it 42.2 volts from the switching supply to the battery and however when i plug the switch mode supply in to the battery with the positive on the positive and the negative on the bms pack -, it immediately trips and stops generating power.

when i unplug the switching supply from the battery it turns on again and starts generating power.

The ebike battery is 37 volts - empty. Why is the switching supply crapping out when charging?

thanks. my reasoning is I think i remember a long time ago, i needed to add a boost converter to the output of the switching supply to act as an isolation transformer. I believe when charging a battery at 37v, then the voltage drop at the switching suppply will be the same as the battery so it will drop from 42 volts to 37v, tricking the switching supply into tripping out as the voltage is too low, but the boost converter will act as an isolation i think. Is my reasoning false or true.

What's the charge rating on your BMS and the current output of your power supply?

never mind i got it working...
i had my powersupply i turned the blue variable transistor or potientiaometer idk where thats called to make it do 44volts although the base is 36 volts.... i bought a 1000w 36v psu.
turns out the blue viariable thing with a flat head you can turn to adjust voltage its not a good idea to do that as it can boost the voltage high enough thats incompatible with the system. so i loostened the screw back to make it do 36 volts again and it stopped tripping. It did trip though when i tried to draw 30 amps from the 44 volt line as i assume 30 x 44 > 1000w design rating.
So i just used a boost converter to go from 36v from the SMPS to 44volts and now i am able to charged at 1000watts - the rating of my powersupply. i used my clamp meter and measured 20 amps on the 44 volt DC line.

E-HP said:
bike4life said:

What's the charge rating on your BMS and the current output of your power supply?

see earlier post. got it too work. :) unfortunately i left my ebike out in the rain today. you think i am in luck. do lifepo4 batteries care if they get a little wet. what about switching supplies. they have a metal case so i dont think too much rain got in them.
what is your advice here.

Back