This man may change the world Andrea Rossi & eCat

megacycle said:
Bump, :mrgreen:
Looks LENR is definetley a go.

What makes you say this? This guy sets off my scammer radar from across the ocean.

amberwolf said:
I haven't gotten to the smoke detector testing yet, but I did get it powered up and zeroed. A small challenge was finding batteries for it: I did have a few old but still good-enough D-cells--however it also requires a "miniature hearing aid battery" (about 3/4 the size of an AA :lol: which is about 4x bigger than the whole hearing aid I have in a drawer somewhere). Fortunately that battery is suppsoed to be 22.5V, which of course none of us have anything like that laying around, do we? ;)
View attachment 1

While it doesnt' fit in the case, a couple of alligator clips with banana/bullet ends that came with the turnigy chargers bikefanatic sent me made an easy hookup to the tabs inside the meter.

It powers on, and "checks" ok with the meter setting for that, and I can zero it. No idea if it actually still detects radiation though.

I get no reading when placing the smoke detector under the ionizing chamber area, at any distance. Oh, and this very cheaply-made civil-defense type unit doesn't have a clicker just an analog meter gauge.

I doubt I'll get much farther than this soon, as I have a bunch of stuff to do in the next few days and I'll probably forget like usual, since I put the bits back up where they belong so i don't lose them (or kill the batteries leaving them hooked up). :oops:

BTW, the smoke detector has molded into it's plastic case someting that says to replace by 2008, with a really big WARNING on it. I suspect that would be for the halflife of the Americium in it reducing it's effectiveness at ionizing particles to then be able to detect them,, but I haven't actually checked why they say that. I don't know how old it is, as this was in the house when I moved in at the turn of the century. I'm sure it still emits enough to be detected if I open the ionizer/detector casing...but first I'd like to be sure it is safe to do so, both from a toxicological and radiological standpoint (I know very little about such things, although i probably know significantly mroe than most poeple do).

in the smoke detector there is a small case you have to break it open and theres a small button about 5mm thats your radiation :D your detector will prob only detect it from 40mm away from the probe as its only a small amount.
adam

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2013/02/22/nasa-a-nuclear-reactor-to-replace-your-water-heater/
From the guys yours side of the pond Luke.

megacycle said:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2013/02/22/nasa-a-nuclear-reactor-to-replace-your-water-heater/
From the guys yours side of the pond Luke.

I think Forbes has been the most consistently always wrong source of battery related technology articles of any site Ive ever read things from. Virtually always wrong
/misunderstood/misleading-context articles if they involve anything related to technology or economics. Remember, these are the same people who had great articles explaining how Google couldn't possibly work as a company without charging the users of the search feature etc... When Forbes posts something, its more like a large subtraction of my confidence in that thing written about.

NASA had a internal survey of next gen power systems for electric flight...
Lithium batts, hydrogen fuel cells, LENR
The results were grouped by location
the west coast gave LENR 5 out of 5
East coast gave the lowest possible score 1 out of 5
Interestingly most all LENR research at NASA is being done in California
Not at Langley
:D

Sorry, i spent a while looking for the NASA direct link, but lost it.The Forbes was easier.
They talk about the science like they have a bit of grip on it now, as if it's definetly real but really complex.
That's interesting Flathill anymore on that?

Hmm, ??
The NASA work seems a different approach to the Rossi project, but both seem to be at a major "Proof of concept" point.
http://www.e-catworld.com/
A key independent "third party" test report is due to be published in the next few weeks and is tipped to be conclusive proof.

Hillhater said:
A key independent "third party" test report is due to be published in the next few weeks and is tipped to be conclusive proof.

Isn't this the exact storyline from the first time we heard of the eCat, brought to you by the previous recycler scammer guy. Conclusive proof coming soon!

A few things get me as BS. He says he has made so many, yet in the photos over the timeline the same one is seen various times. If he wanted proof it works (or even had any mild interest in its function) it wouldn't be done in torch oxidised copper pipe, particularly when copper content is an alleged key decay indicator. Lastly, in street racing, we hide passages and control wires for nitrous through hollow bolts and custom banjo fittings and things. That test setup would be so easy to fake passages, or even simply re-route with tiny jacketed internal tubes to pass just a tiny stream of very heated water directly in the path of the temp sensor in some 2in diameter pipe with floweters in it etc. You think its 1000gph with an 80C temp delta. Its 5gph with an 80c temperature delta, that appears to be 1000gph due to clever plumbing in places you're not allowed to open. Those are just wild guess examples, but seriously, fooling some professors would practically effortless. If the system worked they wouldn't need to do the years of pending proof game, they would immediately skip to full massive scale deployment IMHO.

Be a real bummer if there's nothing in it.
Hurry up NASA, getting fat on all the popcorn.

This thing is apparently still alive and sucking up investor money.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markgibbs/2013/07/23/defkalion-demonstrates-lenr-live-right-now/

From Forbes:
Mark Gibbs, Contributor
I cover infotech, the science of tech, tech news and tech innovation

Follow Following Unfollow (174) CIO Network |7/23/2013 @ 2:31PM |4,962 views
Defkalion Demonstrates LENR Live, Right Now.
If you’ve been following the saga of what was called “cold fusion” but is now more generally called “low energy nuclear reaction” (LENR) you’ll be aware of one of the more convincing contenders in this market, Defkalion Green Technologies (DGT).

DGT had a deal with Andrea Rossi’s Leonardo Corporation but went their own way when that relationship went sour in August 2011. Since then DGT has been developing its version of what appears to be a similar LENR technology to Rossi’s E-Cat and conducted a somewhat convincing demo in August last year that was monitored by a NASA scientist with solid credentials.

Defkalion are currently running a demonstration of their technology in Italy and you can watch it online at http://new.livestream.com/triwu2/Defkalion-us (the evnt is scheduled to conclude at around 3PM EST.

The entire test will be archived and available for viewing on the same site and once the test has been concluded and I have analysis from experts in the LENR field I’ll be publishing a follow-up. Until then, check out the broadcast, it’s fascinating to watch.

And somewhere else they 'reveal' the secret sauce catalyst as being potassium.

I'm almost ready now... get some ultrapure nickel powder, some potassium, pipe fittings from Home Depot along with an electric water heater element and a little hydrogen. Backyard reactor.

Next combine that with a supercritical CO2 Brayton cycle turbine https://share.sandia.gov/news/resources/news_releases/brayton-cycle-turbines/

Sandia National Laboratories researchers are moving into the demonstration phase of a novel gas turbine system for power generation, with the promise that thermal-to-electric conversion efficiency will be increased to as much as 50 percent — an improvement of 50 percent for nuclear power stations equipped with steam turbines, or a 40 percent improvement for simple gas turbines. The system is also very compact, meaning that capital costs would be relatively low.

Research focuses on supercritical carbon dioxide (S-CO2) Brayton-cycle turbines, which typically would be used for bulk thermal and nuclear generation of electricity, including next-generation power reactors. The goal is eventually to replace steam-driven Rankine cycle turbines, which have lower efficiency, are corrosive at high temperature and occupy 30 times as much space because of the need for very large turbines and condensers to dispose of excess steam. The Brayton cycle could yield 20 megawatts of electricity from a package with a volume as small as four cubic meters.

Well, maybe we can scale it down a bit in size for home/car use. 20Kw should be enough for me.

Some of you may have heard of the E-Cat invented by Andrea Rossi, well the latest iteration has been tested independently by some reputable and seemingly competent scientists and the results are quite staggering.

Run over a 32 day period the reactor produced 1.5MWh of energy, consuming only a fraction of the 1 gram of fuel powder. Unlike most over unity bunk or ridiculous pseudo science contraptions, this one appears to have real, measurable and very significant results. Still - nobody really knows how or why it works.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/191754-cold-fusion-reactor-verified-by-third-party-researchers-seems-to-have-1-million-times-the-energy-density-of-gasoline

http://www.sifferkoll.se/sifferkoll/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/LuganoReportSubmit.pdf

Whilst it has been lurking around for years , and been ridiculed often, If this thing actually checks out, it will be a world changer, in so many ways !
It really is a concept that seems too good to be real !...........but.!
http://pesn.com/2014/10/10/9602543_Apocalypse-Revealed--The-Four-Horsemen_of_Andrea-Rossis_E-Cat/

Whatever, its commercially worthless until understood. He should merge with EEstor and call it Vapor+

gogo said:
Whatever, its commercially worthless until understood. He should merge with EEstor and call it Vapor+

Worthless until I can put in on my ebike.

But let's think of this, is there a way I can run my bike from it directly? or if these things become common place, I would still have to make power at home and charge my bike.

Now, with cars, you could probably make a steam motor to fit. Imagine that, steam driven cars.

Did anyone check to see where all the cables were going? Could be the old bypass the power meter trick.
And what about radiation? No one seems to concerned judging by what looks like a classroom shot or is that a mock up?
Too many questions for a 5 second news grab.
Let's see if it gets published in Science and has a bit more peer review.
Smells like an application for a research grant. :?

This old Rossi chestnut.

Apparently there is some evidence pointing towards cold fusion working and Big Moose got to see some of it.

Whatever is the cause it seems to be very sporadic and very difficult to repeat.

Despite the merits I strongly feel that anything Rossi is involved with doesn't merit attention.

Joseph C. said:
Despite the merits I strongly feel that anything Rossi is involved with doesn't merit attention.
Yes , its a tricky one this LENR E-cat.
Rossi's reputation immediately clouds anything he is associated with, and many of his associate workers now have damaged reputations and careers as a direct result.
Its somewhat odd that although Rossi claims to have sold off the rights to this ECat to a US research company, his is still involved in the tests.
Perhaps more concerning is all these reports and tests are again conducted by the same group of scientists as previous tests, so how they can claim it to be a "independent 3rd party test" is confusing and weakens credibility.
Of course, at the same time, you can imaging the "white anting" going on in the background by the established energy/oil parties, which makes other researchers wary of being associated with it.
I just wish this would either Die , or Fly !

Lockheed says makes breakthrough on fusion energy project

Reuters said:
Lockheed Martin Corp said on Wednesday it had made a technological breakthrough in developing a power source based on nuclear fusion, and the first reactors, small enough to fit on the back of a truck, could be ready for use in a decade.

Tom McGuire, who heads the project, said he and a small team had been working on fusion energy at Lockheed's secretive Skunk Works for about four years, but were now going public to find potential partners in industry and government for their work. Initial work demonstrated the feasibility of building a 100-megawatt reactor measuring seven feet by 10 feet, which could fit on the back of a large truck, and is about 10 times smaller than current reactors, McGuire told reporters. In a statement, the company, the Pentagon's largest supplier, said it would build and test a compact fusion reactor in less than a year, and build a prototype in five years. In recent years, Lockheed has gotten increasingly involved in a variety of alternate energy projects, including several ocean energy projects, as it looks to offset a decline in U.S. and European military spending.

Lockheed's work on fusion energy could help in developing new power sources amid increasing global conflicts over energy, and as projections show there will be a 40 percent to 50 percent increase in energy use over the next generation, McGuire said. If it proves feasible, Lockheed's work would mark a key breakthrough in a field that scientists have long eyed as promising, but which has not yet yielded viable power systems. The effort seeks to harness the energy released during nuclear fusion, when atoms combine into more stable forms. "We can make a big difference on the energy front," McGuire said, noting Lockheed's 60 years of research on nuclear fusion as a potential energy source that is safer and more efficient than current reactors based on nuclear fission. Lockheed sees the project as part of a comprehensive approach to solving global energy and climate change problems.

Compact nuclear fusion would produce far less waste than coal-powered plants since it would use deuterium-tritium fuel, which can generate nearly 10 million times more energy than the same amount of fossil fuels, the company said. Ultra-dense deuterium, an isotope of hydrogen, is found in the earth's oceans, and tritium is made from natural lithium deposits. It said future reactors could use a different fuel and eliminate radioactive waste completely. McGuire said the company had several patents pending for the work and was looking for partners in academia, industry and among government laboratories to advance the work.

Lockheed said it had shown it could complete a design, build and test it in as little as a year, which should produce an operational reactor in 10 years, McGuire said. A small reactor could power a U.S. Navy warship, and eliminate the need for other fuel sources that pose logistical challenges. U.S. submarines and aircraft carriers run on nuclear power, but they have large fission reactors on board that have to be replaced on a regular cycle. "What makes our project really interesting and feasible is that timeline as a potential solution," McGuire said.

Lockheed shares fell 0.6 percent to $175.02 amid a broad market selloff.

Interesting times, KF

When the real owners of the world want it, it'll happen.
But they're old and conservative and like starting wars involving low energy goo, they love to keep flogging for profit and don't give a crap about the environment they live in.
Hang on divestment is coming and the Rockefeller's are shifting their money.

megacycle said:
When the real owners of the world want it, it'll happen.
But they're old and conservative and like starting wars involving low energy goo, they love to keep flogging for profit and don't give a crap about the environment they live in.
Hang on divestment is coming and the Rockefeller's are shifting their money.

The smart money is going to go with something that works.
If you are so confident it works send the guy a cheque.
The simplest explanation is usually the right one.
It doesn't work.

I'm more inclined to believe the Lockheed guys, but I'll still have to see it to believe it.
Rossi has been stringing this thing along for quite a few years now and still smells like a scam, but no real proof one way or the other.

Lockheed said 100MW from a semi-truck sized unit. I wonder if we can scale it down to a 1kW bike sized reactor? Supercritical CO2 turbine and a generator can be used to convert heat into electricity.

Interesting times all right.

Back