Thought my controller popped, but it was the Andersons

Voltron

1 MW
Went for what turned out to be a terrible Fourth of July ride with a passenger, going up into the hills to watch the fireworks when there was suddenly a chugging and stuttering, then deadness. It's no picnic pedaling this beast around with a passenger and no power...which made my always-go-uphill-first habits pay off.

IMG_20150929_101632.jpg

Back burner-ed it for a while, then had some time and pulled the controller expecting bad things, but it looked great inside. No dark spots, no smell, so I started getting excited. I just assumed it was the controller, as this is a generic $60 60v unit that has been run at 84v for about 9000 miles of hard running with the shunt soldered. But after seeing the pristine interior and the 100v caps, I went looking for the problem elsewhere.

After unbundling the power wires there it was....The Anderson Power Poles had been slowly deforming over a couple of years, hardly noticeable from the outside. It was just enough to loosen the springs under the connector tabs, building up more resistance, until two of the phase wires melted thru their insulation and shorted about an inch before the connectors. Then with hope going up, hacked all three phase wires at the hub and ran 10ga to the controller, straight crimps with no plugs, tidied up the hall wires a bit, rewired my handlebar off switch I had bypassed a long time ago after it got twitchy on a night ride, hooked up the throttle, and sure enough, turned it on and heard the power hum. I've had this bike jump off the repair stand and suck a carpet into the back wheel when I had it hooked up running backwards once, so braced it, gently turned the throttle annndd......nothing. But it really felt like it should work, start rechecking everything, and realised maybe I hooked up my non color coded throttle wires wrong, metered it using the controller for power to re-figure out which one was the signal wire, braced it again, and it spins right up...good to go!

Took a couple of test spins, whomped on the full battery set, then took off for the most canyon carvingest, high g, non stop s turn madness for about 30 miles. I was fully in the zone of trusting my tires, and was full body shifting in the turns....It was epic. Even with the extra weight of the full battery, the uphill acceleration was blistering with the extra amp flow... literally the most fun e ride I've been on, esp as it only cost me about 4 bucks worth of wire to get running again.
So anyway, if you have power poles, keep a good eye on them or you might not get so lucky!

IMG_20160808_183455.jpg
New red phase wires. And for how bulky the bike looks from the side with the full battery set on, I love how it thins down when you see it from behind.

IMG_20160808_183522.jpg

Plus with the full battery, it's just tall enough to lay your chest on for aero in the straights, and a good leg brace height during body shifting in the turns.

Great troubleshooting,when i see your bike i think crazy legs :D ..that rear wheel is soooo small but for good reasons.

Surprisingly the gearing is just right for helping the motor accelerate out of the turns, and for steep 25mph-ish climbing. I can keep up until about 32 mph in a burst, but run out of leg spin after that :)

I'm so used to the little wheel it just looks normal to me now....And when you're staring at the next s turn ahead, the back wheel is so far behind you that you just forget about the size as you soak in the enjoyment of the eye popping acceleration :)

I'm a no gas buyer too for years now btw...

The number one reason was because it came with a broken down scooter carcass and I had it sitting around in my storage for a while. Then when I started running it at high power wedged into a bike frame just for goofs, it rode so great that there was no looking back. I literally have about 11,000 miles on that motor and $60 controller combo. I didn't even know about all the advantages until after, like that the small diameter gets up in rpm fast, and accelerates like crazy, its an unstoppable hill climber, the casting acts as a heat sink, and no worries about broken spokes. It had a built in drum brake, that I just opened up and the pads are like new even after all the miles of heavy stopping. As long as you dont look behind you... you totally forget its the mini wheel back there. Getting it into this longer wheelbase frame made it perfect... riding no hands at 40 mph its totally stable.

This is up a local mountain... 2600' gain in 6 miles so this is steep climbing and it still goes like crazy... you can do a solid 35 miles of this kind of riding and not over heat the motor...skip towards the end for a nice scenic overlook if you like. I started from the edge of where the cluster of white buildings are in the distance, and that's islands off the coast in the background.

[youtube]FQAOSU6-LgY[/youtube]

Here's one showing the no hands stability... and that was with my old topheavy SLA pack... with the lithiums its dreamy. And its not exactly flat and straight... there's big root bumps, wooden bridges and crouching stoners to watch out for ( :50 - 1:05 ) :D

[youtube]Lj4d28w-vOU[/youtube]

Wow, if you hadn't explained it to me, I would never have guessed what that little wheel could do, cheers!

Very impressive sustained hill climbing ability, just how much power are you pumping into that motor?

Yes.. its unstoppable hill climbing without over heating is pretty crazy for such a cheap motor and cheap controller, and I'm obviously not babying it,and am pegging the throttle out of every s turn. I'm putting about 3000 watts thru it, and was battery testing one day on the flats and did 38 to 41 mph for 33 straight miles without letting off the throttle, so it handles some pretty sustained output. I've become a believer that for hub motor, more than 20" wheel is just a holdover from the leg pedaling days, on pavement anyways. I don't think anybody would guess from that mountain video that its that silly looking mini wheel doing all that! :D

Well you made a believer out of me! I would never have suspected what that little wheel would do!

I'm in the process of building a bike where I've replaced the 26" MTB wheels with 20" BMX ones wearing 16" moped tires, so seeing the immense success you have had with smaller wheel, it makes me think I'm on the right track.

P1070887.jpg

That looks promising.

In the UK we don't have all the different frame and bike types you have in the US, I'd love to get my hands on a cargo frame like that Yuba but you almost never see any cargo bikes here.

Yes, I got lucky with the first one, it was somebody's abandoned project that already has a battery rack welded in, and then even luckier to find a matching one on line only a few miles away for cheap. The early Mundos were special in that they used way over thick tubing, so they're massively strong, and the rack unbolts off compared to the welded racks now, so it's easy to take it in and out of cargo or passenger mode.

Back