Thread for new battery breakthrough PR releases

IMO sounds like a lot of bragging and not much substance. Where is the link to the advanced research that proves the "breakthrough"?

:D

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160803072828.htm
Chemists create vitamin-driven battery
Environmentally friendly battery is long-lasting and high voltage

Date: August 3, 2016
Source: University of Toronto
Summary: A team chemists has created a battery that stores energy in a biologically derived unit, paving the way for cheaper consumer electronics that are easier on the environment.The battery is similar to many commercially-available high-energy lithium-ion batteries with one important difference. It uses flavin from vitamin B2 as the cathode: the part that stores the electricity that is released when connected to a device.

A team of University of Toronto chemists has created a battery that stores energy in a biologically derived unit, paving the way for cheaper consumer electronics that are easier on the environment.

The battery is similar to many commercially-available high-energy lithium-ion batteries with one important difference. It uses flavin from vitamin B2 as the cathode: the part that stores the electricity that is released when connected to a device.

"We've been looking to nature for a while to find complex molecules for use in a number of consumer electronics applications," says Dwight Seferos, an associate professor in U of T's Department of Chemistry and Canada Research Chair in Polymer Nanotechnology.

"When you take something made by nature that is already complex, you end up spending less time making new material," says Seferos.......snip.

Oh, oh... Silicon-Air cells in the news again. Mentioned about only once on ES before. Back in 2009:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11193&p=220421#p220421

(EETimes article linked there seems to have moved to here:)
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1242465

Anywhooo... Now on a German language site:
http://www.ingenieur.de/Themen/Energieeffizienz/Silizium-Luft-Batterien-1000-Stunden-in-Betrieb

("Silizium-Luft-Batterien"=Silicon-Air Battery")

Schematischer-Aufbau-einer-Silizium-Luft-Batterie_image_width_560.jpg

One key feature of this chemistry apparently "unbeatably cheap". :lol:

LockH said:
e-beach said:
Gold sounds expensive, and will somebody please post the "C" rating on these things..... :roll:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160420211136.htm
Allows lithium-ion batteries to be recharged hundreds of thousands of times.

And picked up on Phsy.org...
"Chemists create battery technology with off-the-charts charging capacity"
http://phys.org/news/2016-04-chemists-battery-technology-off-the-charts-capacity.html

"... a nanowire-based technology that allows lithium-ion batteries to be recharged hundreds of thousands of times."
8)

And on a german-language site (with pretty pictures, plus a short vid in english)
http://www.golem.de/news/nanodraht-...kkus-viel-langlebiger-machen-1604-120512.html
Clipboard03.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

UCR team finds adding even small amounts of tin to Si-based anode greatly improves charge capacity and cycling stability

Link to article: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/08/20160804-ucr.html

6a00d8341c4fbe53ef01b7c8830b6d970b-800wi

If you want to learn what coulombic efficiency is and how it's measured, watch this excellent lecture by Professor Jeff Dahn:

[youtube]9qi03QawZEk[/youtube]

PH1 said:
UCR team finds adding even small amounts of tin to Si-based anode greatly improves charge capacity and cycling stability

Groovy. Tin (symbol Sn (from Latin: stannum, rhymes with "cheap")
8)

novaccu
new type of electrical energy storage battery “NOVACCU BATTERY” 750 Wh/Kg which is suitable the electricity supply of by the solar- wind- water and nuclear power industrial quantities:, which is suitable the electricity supply of the electric cars.
The Hungarian Novaccu Ltd.

On FacePlant:
https://www.facebook.com/Novaccu-Ltd-Company-for-Production-of-Chemical-Power-554853067936635/

Wordpress:
https://novaccu.wordpress.com/

"In the short features: ,(, NO contine :Ni,- Cd,- Lí.-Mhd.-)"

(Looks like Vincze György has been plugging his cells since 2013.)
novaccu2.jpg

First of, I am not a regular poster here, so I am not sure if this post is redundant? Lithium Titanate are not new, but the cells being leaked into main stream CHINA market is new (edit : these are the TOSHIBA SCIB cells). I caught it by chance as I was reading about the high cycling rate and caught some .... "POKEMON"

I found 2 flavors
3AH
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.13.cbmM1C&id=43442723098&ns=1&abbucket=16#detail
7.7Wh
40,000 cycles claimed

20AH
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.23.vH1Ujm&id=37591711963&ns=1&abbucket=16#detail
51Wh (I think)
15,000 cycles claimed

many shops seemingly are trying to sell the cells at varying prices (I should be trying to grab some when my wallet allows, next month hopefully). I hope this info is useful for those interested in trying some (esp the 40,000 cycles, once per day = 109years ! but then again, unverified claim). the chinese character to search for is "钛酸锂" (lithium titanate). well I though all mobility devices should focus on using these as currently, the recycling options for Li based batteries around the world are quite shhtty, so i am hoping there would be less dumping of batteries with such extreme cycle cells.

*peace* 8)

LockH said:
"US Energy Dept says “holy grail” of clean energy storage is imminent"
http://inhabitat.com/us-energy-dept-says-holy-grail-of-clean-energy-storage-is-imminent/

Haha, they say that several countries are on the brink on being supplied mainly of green energy :D Show me one country that gets more than 10% of its energy from green energy? I am not including hydro power or hot spring electricity, because that is only possible a few places and have been utilized for over 100 years.

Germany has been playing with "green energy" and that have increased the price of power three fold for a mere 5% green power. It is a joke with the current tech we have. And we are forced to pay taxes to pay for this madness that every sane electrical engineer can prove it is impossible to get to work efficiently. It is time for the free marked to choose what power method is the best, every time politicians try to solve anything, they just make a mess. Good for us that we can learn from Germany's faults at least

eTrike said:
Ratking said:
LockH said:
"US Energy Dept says “holy grail” of clean energy storage is imminent"
http://inhabitat.com/us-energy-dept-says-holy-grail-of-clean-energy-storage-is-imminent/

Haha, they say that several countries are on the brink on being supplied mainly of green energy :D Show me one country that gets more than 10% of its energy from green energy? I am not including hydro power or hot spring electricity, because that is only possible a few places and have been utilized for over 100 years.

Iceland
Spain
Costa Rica
Denmark
And more

https://www.climaterealityproject.org/blog/follow-leader-how-11-countries-are-shifting-renewable-energy

P.s. your caveat was ignored for being too silly

@level6, titanate cells are great and unusual in that they charge more rapidly than they discharge. Their lifecycle results are balanced by their low energy density. They are used in the Hondas Fit EV and Mitsubishi MiEV but also for grid storage.

You did not understand what I said about energy that is unique for a specific location as Iceland's hot springs? Can you replicate that in every country? They have used that energy source long before it was cool to think about green energy. Same with Denmark, specific geographic unique possibilities that cannot be replicated elsewhere.

http://www.ens.dk/sites/ens.dk/file...rlig-energistatistik/energystatistics2014.pdf This official government site shows an production of 20% renewable energy as I understand the statistics, but I need to check all the countries you mentioned by the official numbers, since the site you linked to is omitting the truth. There is also other numbers that is important, but I will get back toy you ;) The point is that even the small countries with the best possible ground for renewable energy have a hard time getting the job done

Every place has advantages and disadvantages in terms of what kinds of renewables it can exploit. Iceland can use hydro and geothermal because of its situation, but Australia can't. However, Australia is well situated for solar and Iceland isn't. Economically competitive solar power depends on relatively new technology, so it makes sense that its use hasn't caught up with hydroelectric, whose technology is from the 19th century. But it will. If for no other reason, it will overtake hydro because climate change from fossil fuel burning will make hydro less productive.

Photovoltaics have made huge advancements in cost over just the last couple of decades, and it's a safe bet that it will advance even faster as it becomes economically feasible for more and more applications.

Grid power generation has some of the most uncompromising cost criteria to meet, so it makes sense that the transition to renewables is coming late and suddenly for utility power.

Costa Rica, where I live, produced 98.5% of its electrical power from renewable sources last year. Although about 90% of that was from hydro and geothermal, almost 10% was from other renewable sources. Dismissing the accomplishment of this small, and far from rich, country just because they were "lucky" to have exploitable renewable resources seems pretty shortsighted to me. It took a significant public commitment, which is ongoing, to achieve.

In the US, if every new home was built with solar, it wouldn't take long to reduce the amount of other energy consumption. I only wish my roof was suitable for solar, but sadly it isn't, or I would have gone solar years ago. A house designed for solar can easily produce enough energy for 2 homes or more. I wish the stupid crooked politicians would mandate every new home must be built with 100% solar efficiency. But the lobbies won't let that happen. :(

wesnewell said:
.......I wish the stupid crooked politicians would mandate every new home must be built with 100% solar efficiency. But the lobbies won't let that happen. :(

The stupid crooked politicians have other things in mind. Like claming that a State can own the wind......and tax it. :evil:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-sej-wyoming-wind-tax-snap-story.html
Not long after it became clear that the robust winds that blow down from the Rocky Mountains and across the sea of sagebrush here could produce plenty of profit in a world that wants more renewable energy, some of the more expansive minds in the Wyoming Legislature began entertaining a lofty question:

Who owns all of that wind?

They concluded, quickly and conveniently, that Wyoming did.

Then, with great efficiency for a conservative state not traditionally tilted toward burdening the energy industry, they did something no other state has done, before or since: They taxed it.

Chalo said:
Every place has advantages and disadvantages in terms of what kinds of renewables it can exploit. Iceland can use hydro and geothermal because of its situation, but Australia can't. However, Australia is well situated for solar and Iceland isn't. Economically competitive solar power depends on relatively new technology, so it makes sense that its use hasn't caught up with hydroelectric, whose technology is from the 19th century. But it will. If for no other reason, it will overtake hydro because climate change from fossil fuel burning will make hydro less productive.

Photovoltaics have made huge advancements in cost over just the last couple of decades, and it's a safe bet that it will advance even faster as it becomes economically feasible for more and more applications.

Grid power generation has some of the most uncompromising cost criteria to meet, so it makes sense that the transition to renewables is coming late and suddenly for utility power.

My view was about the technology we have today, what the future holds is irrelevant for this discussion. I hope that there will be good batteries and efficient solar panels, but it is unfair to use tax money on technology that is clearly not up for the task. Use the same money for research instead, that is more productive.

Why I dismiss small countries with energy potential that is unique for them is because it does not help the large picture. China, India, Russia, America and Germany(and others) are countries that need renewable energy, what should they use? Germany have tried solar panels payed by tax refund, see how that worked out.

But it isn't just a matter of what you have available, it's also a matter of the (political, social, behavioral) will to take advantage of it. For example, Phoenix, AZ where I used to live, as well as much of the SW USA, simply cries out for investment in solar power. The required capacity of the electrical grid is determined by the cooling needs during the hottest parts of the day in summer, which is precisely when solar power is at its maximum. But instead of exploiting the opportunity presented by lots of sun, they simply build more, and larger power stations to meet the seasonal peak demands. These power plants are either nuclear (the largest nuclear power plant in the US is just West of Phoenix) or coal burning. CR does have a lot of rain and volcanoes, but it also has the will to use them. Phoenix has lots of sun, but certainly lacks the will to take advantage of it, despite the obvious advantages of solar power in the area, and the evident environmental damage caused by coal fired power stations (I'm not going down the Nuclear Rabbit Hole). I guess what I'm trying to say is that the social commitment to change is at least as important as the technological/environmental options available. If the social commitment is there, change will happen even if the environmental conditions are not optimum. Without the will to change, even the most obviously beneficial and easily implementable technologies may well be ignored.

But I've hijacked this thread enough.

Substantial advance if it pans out (may represent a viable path to the successful commercial utilization of NMC/graphite Li-ion cells operated to 4.5 V and above.):
https://electrek.co/2016/08/17/tesl...tner-jeff-dahn-cells-longer-range-life-cycle/
Last year, Tesla and Jeff Dahn’s battery-research group at Dalhousie University announced a new partnership that transitioned the group from their 20-year research agreement with 3M to a new association with Tesla under the newly formed ‘NSERC/Tesla Canada Industrial Research’.

While announced last year, the partnership only went into effect in June 2016. The group just released its first research paper since and it could lead to a potential increase in energy density and durability.

Dahn’s research focuses on extending the lifespan of Li-ion battery cells, which is obviously something of high interest for Tesla.

The new paper will be published in the October edition of the Journal of Power Sources and it is co-authored by Dahn himself and 4 other members of his battery-research group and members of Dalhousie University’s Physics and Chemistry departments: Jian Xia, Remi Petibon, Deijun Xiong, Lin Ma.

The paper states that ethylene carbonate (EC), an organic compound until now thought to be an essential electrolyte component for Li-ion cells, is “actually detrimental for cells at high voltages” – 4.5 V and above. Tesla/Panasonic’s current cells are believed to be around 4.2 V.

In order to replace EC in the electrolytes, the group developed “EC-free linear alkyl carbonate electrolytes” and tested them in pouch cells. They report “excellent charge-discharge cycling and storage properties” and better cyclability of cells than cells with EC.

The researchers are hopeful that it could lead to better high-voltage battery cells:
“Further optimizing these linear alkyl carbonate electrolytes with appropriate co-additives may represent a viable path to the successful commercial utilization of NMC/graphite Li-ion cells operated to 4.5 V and above.

The complete article is here (for $40):
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S037877531631014X
Highlights
• Ethylene carbonate (EC) is actually detrimental for Li-ion cells at high voltages.
• EC-free linear alkyl carbonate electrolytes with various “enablers” were developed.
• Linear alkyl carbonate electrolytes have very good performance at high voltages.

Abstract
Some of the problems of current electrolytes for high voltage Li-ion cells originate from ethylene carbonate (EC) which is thought to be an essential electrolyte component for Li-ion cells. Ethylene carbonate-free electrolytes containing 1 M LiPF6 in ethylmethyl carbonate (EMC) with small loadings of vinylene carbonate, fluoroethylene carbonate, or (4R,5S)-4,5-Difluoro-1,3-dioxolan-2-one acting as “enablers” were developed.

These electrolytes used in Li(Ni0.4Mn0.4Co0.2)O2/graphite pouch type Li-ion cells tested at 4.2 V and 4.5 V yielded excellent charge-discharge cycling and storage properties. The results for cells containing linear alkyl carbonate electrolytes with no EC were compared to those of cells with EC-containing electrolytes incorporating additives proven to enhance cyclability of cells.

The combination of EMC with appropriate amounts of these enablers yields cells with better performance than cells with EC-containing electrolytes incorporating additives tested to 4.5 V. Further optimizing these linear alkyl carbonate electrolytes with appropriate co-additives may represent a viable path to the successful commercial utilization of NMC/graphite Li-ion cells operated to 4.5 V and above.

Doubling battery power of consumer electronics - New lithium metal batteries could make smartphones, drones, and electric cars last twice as long.

An MIT spinout is preparing to commercialize a novel rechargable lithium metal battery that offers double the energy capacity of the lithium ion batteries that power many of today’s consumer electronics. Founded in 2012 by MIT alumnus and former postdoc Qichao Hu ’07, SolidEnergy Systems has developed an “anode-free” lithium metal battery with several material advances that make it twice as energy-dense, yet just as safe and long-lasting as the lithium ion batteries used in smartphones, electric cars, wearables, drones, and other devices. “With two-times the energy density, we can make a battery half the size, but that still lasts the same amount of time, as a lithium ion battery. Or we can make a battery the same size as a lithium ion battery, but now it will last twice as long,” says Hu, who co-invented the battery at MIT and is now CEO of SolidEnergy.

You can read the rest here > http://news.mit.edu/2016/lithium-metal-batteries-double-power-consumer-electronics-0817

Lithium metal? Sounds safe.

As in, they must have been smoking something when they thought of putting it in cell phones.

atarijedi said:
Thanks for that, this one looks good..
Chalo said:
Lithium metal? Sounds safe.

As in, they must have been smoking something when they thought of putting it in cell phones.
Good amount of the article says its as safe then existing lithium ion cells..

quote "He coated the lithium metal foil with a thin solid electrolyte that doesn’t need to be heated to function. He also created a novel quasi-ionic liquid electrolyte that isn’t flammable, and has additional chemical modifications to the separator and cell design to stop it from negatively reacting with the lithium metal.
The end result was a battery with energy-capacity perks of lithium metal batteries, but with the safety and longevity features of lithium ion batteries that can operate at room temperature. “Combining the solid coating and new high-efficiency ionic liquid materials was the basis for SolidEnergy on the technology side,” Hu says.
"

This thread is almost 9 years old and you can read stuff back then with well presented promises from companies promising 10,000 cycles with 1% capacity loss, 7 times more energy density etc.. at the same time seemed a tad dubious on when and baiting like they want investors..

I like this articles promise for multiple reasons but mostly because they have an ultra short release date.. and thats this November!

quote After three years of sharing A123’s space in Waltham, SolidEnergy this month moved its headquarters to a brand new, state-of-the-art pilot facility in Woburn that’s 10 times larger — and “can house the wings of a Boeing 747” Hu says — with aims of ramping up production for their November launch.

If people are going to able to sample the products in November thats barely enough time to get sucker investors money and head for the Cayman Islands, I say its real!

I don't know if it's anything more than trolling VCs, but it's at least theoretically possible to achieve those claimed energy densities if they had an electrolyte that actually does what they claim.

Around half of the 10x or 4x next gen battery technology is at least theoretically possible if some single obstacle is overcome (typically stuck on finding a long-term compatible electrolyte and/or finding a way to mfg it that's $/kWh competitive.)

Salut DoctorBass, just un ptit hello de Québec pour dire que je suis tes post et tes videos youtube. C'est vraiment tres formateur.
Hi DoctorBss, just a little post to say Hello from Québec City and to say that I follow your posts and your youtube videos. It's really educative !

Thanks bro, pout toutes ces infos vraiment intéressantes

Jonathan

https://news.google.com/news/ampviewer?caurl=https%3A%2F%2Felectrek.co%2F2016%2F08%2F25%2Ftesla-model-3-p100d-test-bed-third-generation-battery-pack-technology%2Famp%2F#pt0-611132

With the new P100D battery pack, Tesla is introducing its first third-generation battery pack technology in production vehicles. A successful deployment of the technology would be a good sign for Tesla’s third-generation platform and therefore, crucial for the Model 3.

I wonder how big each model 3 module will be? Would be great if i could fit one on a motorcycle 8)

Back