• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Tire recommendation for 27.5

playvltk03

10 mW
HI all,

Saw majority of users here are using 26 inch and/or recommending 26 inch tire. However, my bike is having 27.5 and it was hard to source out for kind of balloon type of tire - not neccessary Schwable (I rode an 26x4 before with low psi and it's absolutely a blast). Just curious with 27.5, any tire option that possibly brought the similar feeling?

My bike currently running giant 27.5 x 2.21 and a nobby nic 27.5 x 2.35, I think it can go up to 2.4, but beyond that is questionable.

Can I just use big apple 26x2?

If you can, please post the link on the tire as well. :) Thank you.

playvltk03 said:
27.5 and it was hard to source out for kind of balloon type of tire - not neccessary Schwable (I rode an 26x4 before with low psi and it's absolutely a blast). Just curious with 27.5, any tire option that possibly brought the similar feeling?

My bike currently running 27.5 x 2.35, I think it can go up to 2.4, but beyond that is questionable.

If you can, please post the link on the tire as well. :) Thank you.

Depends on the rim of the wheel the size of tire you can use.
27.5 in a hub motor means everything runs a tad hotter and a tad slower on take offs because of less torque, but you get a higher top speed. If you have disc brakes you could go 26" but it all depends on what you ride and what your needs are.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus are good puncture proof tires.

Hi,

Since I'm riding a hard tail. I just want a cushion feeling .... since the road is quite bad with lot of gravel and small hump.

Something that make me felt like closer to that 26 x 4 feeling.

I'm using disc brake for sure.

My rim is 18 x 584 and rear are 19 x 584 i think.

playvltk03 said:
My rim is 18 x 584 and rear are 19 x 584 i think.

19mm outside width? Mine are 25, 18 inside, and I thought my Schwalbe 1.75 was about as wide as I ought to go. And it turned out, if I'd gone any wider, the tires might not have cleared the frame - not on the sides, but on the top. I don't know if this makes sense, but I wonder if the shock absorption depends on the width of the tire AND the width of the rim - where the smaller the rim, the less tire you need to get the same effect, because the tire rides at a higher radius, in the direction of the impacts.

+ 1 , You probably have 19mm for the Inside of the rim, so if the SuperMoto X is too wide at 2.4 inches then you might have to get the Big Ben Plus E-Bike Rated Tire. Somewhere there is a formula for how wide you can go with a tire , it is 2.xx times, so just a little over 2x, meaning for your 19 inside rim width you should only go a little over 38 mm wide , somewhere in the 40's mm range up to maybe up to 50-54 mm . Sometimes a tire Mfg will have that formula somewhere on their website, if not you can call/e-mail Schwalbe.

I am now using the Schwalbe Big Ben Plus E-Bike rated tires and love them. They are 27.5 x 2.0
had I known about the SuperMoto X that can be ordered in a 2.4 inch width I might have bought them for a more supple ride on my hardtail. Although the Beg Ben Plus is not at all harsh. Not sure that my hardtail would accept a tire that wide though and yours might not as well , you would have to only ride on the street , no mud with a 2.4 unless you have one of the newer + size bikes ( 110mm front through axle spacing and 148mm rear through axle wide spacing ).

MadRhino said:
You would need wider rims to ride low PSI
If your frame does clear 2.4, use 2.4. In Schwalbe, best ebike tire in 2.4 is the SuperMoto X
https://www.schwalbe.com/fr/tour-reader/super-moto-x.html
You need the 62-584

donn said:
I don't know if this makes sense, but I wonder if the shock absorption depends on the width of the tire AND the width of the rim - where the smaller the rim, the less tire you need to get the same effect, because the tire rides at a higher radius, in the direction of the impacts.

Absolutely true. A fat tire on a narrow rim must have more pressure in it to remain stable, but it rides more nicely at that pressure than if the same tire were mounted on a wider rim.

There are two relevant mechanisms at work that I can tell. One is that the rounder cross section of a tire on a narrow rim must sag deeper into its sidewall height before it establishes a footprint of a given area. In effect, this lowers the spring rate of the tire at the same pressure. The other is that the narrow rim is sitting on top of the tire's inflated form, and it can easily push down into the tire, separately from the tire squashing down onto the ground. This is like stacking a second spring on top of the first.

For grip, wider rim does mean lower PSI, larger contact surface , better suppleness to terrain.

Formula? Not sure manufacturers would give you one. But they usually recommend mounting tires on rims one third, up to two third of their width. Yet, every tire has its ideal combination of width/load/PSI for terrain and riding style. That, is the rider’s responsibility to try and tune to get the best performance of a tire.

I like a rim around half the tire width for the mountain trails, closer to two third for nice surface. Yet for street only, I go a tad wider. A 3.0 tire on a 65mm rim does make a wonderful street grip.

ScooterMan101 said:
+ 1 , You probably have 19mm for the Inside of the rim, so if the SuperMoto X is too wide at 2.4 inches then you might have to get the Big Ben Plus E-Bike Rated Tire. Somewhere there is a formula for how wide you can go with a tire , it is 2.xx times, so just a little over 2x, meaning for your 19 inside rim width you should only go a little over 38 mm wide , somewhere in the 40's mm range up to maybe up to 50-54 mm . Sometimes a tire Mfg will have that formula somewhere on their website, if not you can call/e-mail Schwalbe.

I am now using the Schwalbe Big Ben Plus E-Bike rated tires and love them. They are 27.5 x 2.0
had I known about the SuperMoto X that can be ordered in a 2.4 inch width I might have bought them for a more supple ride on my hardtail. Although the Beg Ben Plus is not at all harsh. Not sure that my hardtail would accept a tire that wide though and yours might not as well , you would have to only ride on the street , no mud with a 2.4 unless you have one of the newer + size bikes ( 110mm front through axle spacing and 148mm rear through axle wide spacing ).

MadRhino said:
You would need wider rims to ride low PSI
If your frame does clear 2.4, use 2.4. In Schwalbe, best ebike tire in 2.4 is the SuperMoto X
https://www.schwalbe.com/fr/tour-reader/super-moto-x.html
You need the 62-584

I'll be honest, I'm very confused with those tire can go with. The big ben that i saw is 28 inch tire, can a 27.5 take 28 tire? Width does seem to work but from where am, shipping and return is a bitch so I would rather making sure it's working.

I think it's very possible I can use 2.4 width, but not sure about height. I'm using a liv temp3 as donor bike (bought from craiglist) and its spec is as follow

https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/tempt-3

The previous owner change the tire to nobby nick 2.35 and it seems working fine, I would think 0.5 can be pushed (there is still space).

27.5 inch is spec 650b.
Don’t buy a tire of another size.

Schwalbe Big Ben is not made in 28 inch. You may have seen a 700c, that is 29 inch.

The Schwalbe Big Ben Plus tires I have on my bike are 27.5 , and 2.0 inch wide, otherwise written as 50 x 584 ( the 50 meaning 50 mm wide )
I think they come in a 29 er as well.
The bike you link to that you say you have , does have 27.5 inch wheels.

Your frame most likely would accept the larger ( wider ) Moto X , however if the inside of your rim really is 18-19 mm wide then the Schwalbe's that I have probably would be better, E-Mail Schwalbe to be sure. Since it is rec-amended that a tire should be up to 2x as wide as the inside of the rim, or just a small amount more.
But I think you probably have inside rim width that is wider, on way to find out is to let the air out of one of your tires .( the bike up on a bike stand or on the floor turned upside down ) then just take off a section of tire on both sides if you can bend it down over the rim, if not then take off the tire and tube, and measure the inside of the rim right where the tire catches on the rim.

Cost could be a factor for you ? I think you would be happy with either the 2.0 inch wide ones or the 2.4 inch wide ones. if traveling 20mph or under all you need is the 2.0 inch wide ones, Just a couple of hours ago when on my ride on my e-bike with the Big Ben Plus tires on it, I reached 30 mph going down a hill, with plenty of curves and it performed very well, the tires were more stable than the cheep fork ( like yours as well ) meaning the tires griped quite well at that speed but the fork was a little flexy on the bumps while cornering at 26-30 mph.

Are you only going to ride on the street ? if not there could be other tires that might work better.

ScooterMan101 said:
The Schwalbe Big Ben Plus tires I have on my bike are 27.5 , and 2.0 inch wide, otherwise written as 50 x 584 ( the 50 meaning 50 mm wide )
I think they come in a 29 er as well.
The bike you link to that you say you have , does have 27.5 inch wheels.

Your frame most likely would accept the larger ( wider ) Moto X , however if the inside of your rim really is 18-19 mm wide then the Schwalbe's that I have probably would be better, E-Mail Schwalbe to be sure. Since it is rec-amended that a tire should be up to 2x as wide as the inside of the rim, or just a small amount more.
But I think you probably have inside rim width that is wider, on way to find out is to let the air out of one of your tires .( the bike up on a bike stand or on the floor turned upside down ) then just take off a section of tire on both sides if you can bend it down over the rim, if not then take off the tire and tube, and measure the inside of the rim right where the tire catches on the rim.

Cost could be a factor for you ? I think you would be happy with either the 2.0 inch wide ones or the 2.4 inch wide ones. if traveling 20mph or under all you need is the 2.0 inch wide ones, Just a couple of hours ago when on my ride on my e-bike with the Big Ben Plus tires on it, I reached 30 mph going down a hill, with plenty of curves and it performed very well, the tires were more stable than the cheep fork ( like yours as well ) meaning the tires griped quite well at that speed but the fork was a little flexy on the bumps while cornering at 26-30 mph.

Are you only going to ride on the street ? if not there could be other tires that might work better.

Thank you very much. Now I understand.
What I'm worry is with 18mm inner wide, it read 584 x 18 not sure if it can fit big ben which is 50 x 584. I hope it does.

I measure the outer width, its around 25mm or 27mm. From this chart, it look like it will fit.
EwkOp.png

this is the exact rims im using
http://www.alexrims.com/products/dm18-2/

But thank so much, you have been very helpful. Thank again.

playvltk03 said:
I'll be honest, I'm very confused with those tire can go with. The big ben that i saw is 28 inch tire, can a 27.5 take 28 tire?

The engineers let the marketing guys play with tire size names, and the the sizes came back stupid. Refer always to the ISO size designation, which the marketing guys don't understand well enough to screw it up.

29", German 28", and 700C are all ISO 622.

27.5", 650B, and 26 x 1-1/2" are all ISO 584.

Everywhere-but-Germany 28" is ISO 635. Obsolete. 27" is ISO 630, also obsolete. Strangely enough, neither of these obsolete sizes is as dead and gone as 650B was, before jackasses decided that bringing this extinct size back would sell a few more bicycles.

The tire will have a number on it, like 50-584, that refers to the tire width and the rim bead seat diameter, in millimeters. Only 584 tires, but pretty much all 584 tires, will fit on your 27.5" wheels.

A 2" tire fits well enough to use on almost any rim under 50mm wide. Don't worry about it. We used tires in the 1.9"-2.2" range on rims narrower than yours for decades. It's not the fashion today, but it works just fine.

Back