• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Titanium FS with Matt's drive unit build

visuthdy

100 mW
Hi All,
This is my first build. I have to two Titanium bikes, a 29er single speed and 26" FS geared. I mostly mountain bike on my 29er SS and I've been using my FS to commute to work because it's geared. The FS has full XTR build, Magura Marta SL carbon disc brakes, Mavic Crossmaxx SL, Fox FX100, Easton Mokeylite handle bars, Thompson seatpost/stem.
29er_ss_lr.jpgFS_bike-lr.jpg

I think I'm going to use the FS for this build because of the suspension would help a lot going 20-30 mph. I also plan to use the full geared for the ride most of the time. I put the order for the drive unit from Matt a few months ago. Matt says everything is already machined and built. He is waiting for the motor from Astro flight. I purchased the Astro 3210-10 turn, Single stage drive and case, frame mounts, HV160 controller, Magura thumb throttle, and sprocket adaptor. He says that I should be getting the stuff any day now :D

Since then I've been getting the other parts for the bike build.

Attachments

• lipo_lr.jpg
    lipo_lr.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 2,084
  • chainring_lr.jpg
    chainring_lr.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 2,084
Hey Man!

The bike looks great!

Guess what just showed up? Yup, I have your shiney new Astro motor here. :)

I have one other order ahead of yours to be assembled, then yours will be completed. I would assume it will be ready to ship by Wednesday of next week.

Matt

Look what just arrived :D rcdrive.jpg

Well worth the four months wait. I do have some questions that I need help with from the community.
1. hv160 has brown-red-orange connector, magura twist throttle only have bare blue-brown-black. how do I connect it to controller?
2. hv160 has red-white-black 8 gauge wire, 3210 motor has three much smaller gauge wires. what's best way to connect? what wire go to what? should I continue the 8 gauge wire to the motor wire?

thanks

visuthdy said:
1. hv160 has brown-red-orange connector, magura twist throttle only have bare blue-brown-black. how do I connect it to controller?
Hi visuthdy,

You don't, directly.... The RC controllers are not voltage controlled. You need a few more bits. See this thread: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12196&start=0

Alternatively: http://www.evlogix.com/content.php?link=Rcthrottle

Hi Miles,
As you can tell, I'm a complete newbie. I completely forgot about that. Matt did talk to me about getting the evlogix when I spoke to him a long time ago.

thanks,
-v

The good news is that I just ordered rc throttle from evlogix. Now the bad new. I tried to install the drive unit on the down tube. the case is too wide for my cranks to pedal around. I tried to move it up more to clear the pedal but it's too close to the tires where it was touching the wire coming from the motor.View attachment 3.

Then I remove the case cover and I was able to pedal the crank around.2010-09-09 23.04.24.jpg
I had hoped to install the batteries in the triangle, not I may have to install the drive unit inside the triangle.

I also install the sprocket adapter and disk brake togeter. I was hoping to use disc brakes also but doesn't look like that I can. I tried my magura marta sl and avid bb7. the bb7 are supposedly one of the thinnest caliper out there. I can probably use spacer on the 53T sprocket to spread out the spacing more between the rotors and sprocket. I can't get a larger rotor to install the caliper above the sprocket because the rear is not wide enough. The caliper shown are not even mounted on. I would need to make adapters to mount the caliper. I may have to get a new wheel with rim brakes.2010-09-09 22.52.30.jpg2010-09-09 22.49.55.jpg

I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations for installation. Thanks in advance.

Seems like money is not a problem, I would simply take the bottom bracket apart and take it to a quality machine shop and have them make you a wider version?? Reall should not be more than a couple hundred bucks?

To get crank clearance, you just need a longer BB spindle. eg: http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=102&osCsid=smptp70c50u207kegfb0blvgt2

As Miles said yor crank clearence is a non issue, you just need a wider bottom bracket to clear, and not by much looking at the pic, is the crank square taper or splined? either way just remove the bottom bracket and measure what you have then buy a slightly bigger one in the same format.
As for the disk issue it might help if you had a bigger rotor, that is if you have the clearence on the frame to go bigger?
best of luck with the build.

D

I think the chainset has the BB shaft as part of the right hand crank. It may be possible to use spacers to adjust it slightly.

Thanks for those that responded. Very good suggestions. Cargo is correct about my crankset. They are Shimano XTR m960 which has the BB shaft as part of the right hand crank. After some researching, I found these spacer http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results.asp?id=BPC314748. I ordered a couple of them. Hopefully, the will work. Otherwise, I may have to use my single speed crank with the squared taper BB and can get a longer BB spindle as Miles posted.

Hillhater, I tried both types. The Avid BB7 are mechanical and the Magura Marta SL are hydro disc brakes. None fitted.
StudEbiker, thanks for the link. I don't have the tools to do that and looking for other alternative.

To increase the clearance between the rotor and sprocket to fit a caliper I will try to use washers between rotor and sprocket adapter and washers between the adapter and sproket pushing it closer to the spokes. We'll see how it works out.

This will be a slow build from now on :cry:. I just started night class and with my regular full-time job and family, I doubt I'll have too much time to work on it.

Back