To Nuvinci Or Not to Nuvinci that is the Question

KAZUALT

10 W
Hey all,
After much research on this site and others, I finally came up with a way to install a freewheel on a 24v 450w geared motor. OK, my questions is, I can install the motor to drive my Nuvinci hub, using the same setuo for a sprocket welded to a freewheel adapter that staton has. Pro's are that I get the use of the nuvinci's gearing design to it's fullest. Con's are, will the hub handle the extra torque and it's a pain in the ^%#$ to remove and reinstall the freewheel. I am preety sure the torque will not be a problem. I have checked and chain clearance is not a problem.
The other choice is to mount a sprocket to the nuvinci's disk hub adapter that I don't use anyway. Pro's are quick install, off the shelf parts, easy trouble shooting. Con's are not having the use of the nuvinci's gearing.

I pretty much know what the answer is going to be. Get off my ^&%$ and do it through the hub. But I figured with all the knowledge out there, if someone see's a problem they will shout it out.

So let me know which way ya think I shoild go.

Thanks ahead of time

Kazualt

I don't know what brand 560 non-hub motor your using but I mounted twin Currie 450w non-hub motors in the "V" of my bike. I also have a Nuvinchi hub (2008 model). I run the motors to the hub with a seperate chain. On the Nuvinchi I mounted a Staton sprocket (22t if I remember correctly). For my freewheel I installed a jack shaft so the motors are still running with the stock 9t sprockets but the jack shaft is mounted with 16t freewheels. So the motors run independent from the crank sprocket because the Nuvinci has a freewheel that I use for the crank chain.

Bob

I will be using this motor http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=106118

It will have a 20t freewheel mounted to it the way it is done here http://www.captainslug.com/temp/nem0_055.jpg
I looked for a long time till I found this thread on several site, including this one. Showed me it is possible to put a normal freewheel on the motor I have.

If I do the RHD version, I will be making my own part like this one http://www.staton-inc.com/store/products/NuVinci_27_tooth_410H_sprocket_and_freewheel_adaptor-543-20.html
Even though they make a 15t mini freewheel that I could get to work, I think a regular freewheel will stand up better. Also I want to run a 20t freewheel.

If I do a LHD, I will be using a sprocket from King's that has the disc brake mounting holes predrilled.

I have a TT Path, with a 20" wheel. I have a Nuvinci Hub that I love. I am not trying to get a speed demon just some help up hills and enough speed to be fun. Not a Hare nor a Turtle, How about a hurtle.LOL. I have VERY LIL $$ and want a setup that I built, not a kit. Love tinkering. Also I have gathered the motor, controller & battery already. Now for the last couple of pieces.

The more I think about it, I am going to probably bite the bullet and do a RHD. The hub will help the motor alot going up hills. Since thats my main objective, seems like a no brainer.

But I am open to critisism of my plans. Only thing I won't do is a jack shft. Sorry but to many parts to go wrong for me. My motto is Keep It Simple Stupid. Plus most of my ev & bike knowledge is gleened from thuis page.

Kazualt

KAZUALT said:
I will be using this motor http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=106118

But I am open to critisism of my plans. Only thing I won't do is a jack shft. Sorry but to many parts to go wrong for me. My motto is Keep It Simple Stupid. Plus most of my ev & bike knowledge is gleened from thuis page.

Kazualt

I would be the last to give critisism but have you lost your mind? LOL For sure the best way is the 'kiss" principal (keep is simple stupid). In my opioion I would not go with the RH install because you would lose the tremendous value of the hub. The bike I currently have the Nuvinci on is a Currie Ezip. The motor you chose is as I expected a Currie knock off and just as loud. I also considered mounting freewheels directly to the motor. But the gearbox shaft is if I remember correctly only an 8mm shaft and not very long. It also has a very small keyway. I have a milling machine and lathe in my shop but the cost of the special broche to cut the key way was to expensive for making just 2 adapters. I spoke to Staton about making them but again it just wasn't worth it. Beside he would'nt cut a square keyway. He said he would dril a half hole and make a special key (squared on 1 side and rounded on the other). Bottom line I decided on the jackshaft and so far it's been fool proof for me.

Not that I am trying to talk you out of your freewheel idea I'm just reminding you that a 20t freewheel is really big for the small shaft and it's not going to be easy. As I said the shaft is very short so the weight and load of the freewheel and chain torque will be all overhung load. I'll be very interested to see how it works out and holds up for you.

I wasn't looking for high spaad ether but it did take me from at standard 16mph (stock Ezip speed) to 22mph with lifepo4 20ah pack at 24v. And hill climbing is much better then a stock setup.

Good luck,

Bob

KAZUALT, I would encourage you to go ahead with your RHD and use the IGH. On my TT Path I used a hub motor as a mid drive, but other than that the final result is similar. My trike has an 8 speed Nexus, and so far it is holding up.

Anyway, because the motor uses the trike's gears, this is the best build I've done to date, and handles hills up to 20% grade with no problem. My build thread is referenced in my signature.

Good luck with your build. :D

Like I stated in the last post. The motor is a Currie not a knock oof. Should I put something on just because it costs more? Not evryone can afford a rc setup. Nough Said

3000 rpm with a 7.18:1 gearbox = 417 rpm
Put some load on it and get about 350 rpm.

Put a 20 tooth freewheel on the motor, and a 27t on the hub and its 1.35:1 so 260 rpm at the hub.

The bike came with a 46 tooth chainwheel? Dunno if thats what you have, its on the specs for their 8 speed.
You want a 20t freewheel on the rear. 46:20 is a 2.3:1 ratio between crank and hub sprockets.
If the hub is turning 260 rpm then you would have to turn the crank 113 rpm to have any pedal input.

nuvinci has 0.5 underdrive to 1.8 overdrive so 260 rpm is 7.75 - 28 MPH which sounds good

If you wanted a slower pedaling speed without affecting that speed range you'd yse a small freewheel at the rear for the chain from the chainring.
46t front : 15t rear = 3.07:1 = 85 crank rpm to match that 260 rpm at the hub.

I am using the NuVinci hub itself as the jackshaft. I also use the Staton Inc. freewheel adapter on the input side. on the output side i mounted a 20tooth sprocket and using the Disc Brake mounting holes.
640002.jpgView attachment 640003.jpg100_1194.JPG

rick

OK, now I am confused. Are you using the Nuvinci for both the crank and motor or just the motor? I'm assuming your using it for both hence the need for the 3 sprockets (2 inputs and 1 output).

dumbass said:
OK, now I am confused. Are you using the Nuvinci for both the crank and motor or just the motor? I'm assuming your using it for both hence the need for the 3 sprockets (2 inputs and 1 output).

Being a jackshaft he has pedal chain to the nuvinci along with chain from motor, to right side of hub... single sprocket on left side will gotto rear wheel i assume to another disk brake mounted sprocket...thats how i read into it anywayz whether i i am right or not....haha

KiM

You are correct KiM. both the motor and the pedals are have individual chains to the right side of the NuVinci. on the left side there is a single chain that goes to another 20 tooth sprocket adapted to a differetial unit for the rear axle of my granny trike.

this way, whether i pedal or not i can still take advantage of the variable gearing provided by the NuVinci Hub.

rick

rkosiorek said:
You are correct KiM. both the motor and the pedals are have individual chains to the right side of the NuVinci. on the left side there is a single chain that goes to another 20 tooth sprocket adapted to a differetial unit for the rear axle of my granny trike.

this way, whether i pedal or not i can still take advantage of the variable gearing provided by the NuVinci Hub.

rick

OK, the end result is basicly the same as I did except I mounted the Nuvinci in the wheel and ran a crank chain to the Nuvinci as normal. My motor is then mounted in the "V" connected to a jack shaft. the jack shaft is then chained to the Nuvinci on an independent sprocket. As I said in previous post I did this to avoid hanging a large freewheel on the small motor shaft.

I like may I'm guessing will be very interested in how the freewheel on the motor works out for you both in your setup and in practical use.

Bob

They say they are going to add an electric motor to this ......

100_3048.JPG

will have to follow

http://www.utahtrikes.com/RECENTTRIKE-superrover.html

Back