Tourque sensor bb /pas or both

jonnybee_123

100 mW
Hi I'm trying to work out what the best set up.for my bike is its bmc hub motor
3077 12 fet controller from em3ev
Throttle 3 speed switch and cruise control

I want to have pedas assist aswell as throttle I would like the power to come in sort of proportional to the tourque I put in to the cranks with the throttle to override

I've ridden 250w bikes with a simple PAS an i dont like after a few cranks the power comes in and runs on slightly
I've been looking at a tourqe sensor bb from grin and a ca3 ? Does this require alot of setting up to run smooth or is it pretty much plug and play?
Is that the only option or would I be better off with a different controller? I'm not a big fan of the way the ca3 looks and a lot of it features I wont use

Em3ev are out of controllers and tourque sensors no longer made witch makes me think is there something better out there ,or are they not really worth having ?
Thanks

My Grin TCDM bb is awesome..... makes the bike. Can gently give power at 5-6A all day and leave me pedaling nicely up / down any hills. Not hard to setup, pretty much turnkey, didnt mess with or tune much.. can give finer control over the throttle, than I can by turning it to suit by hand... I get better Wh/mi ...

I have a Bafang Lurch-PAS cadence 1-5 system on a BBS02... blah. No fun. Torque sensing all the way. Much nicer, and makes me get many many miles on the minimum of motor power. Gentle and responsive. Worth the money if you like bicycling.

Sounds like exactly what I want from mine !
So you can peddle with the ' power assist ' set to say 5a for example ,then can I use the throttle to get my full power the controller is set to ?
Also can you change how much power is put out from using the tourque sensor while out riding ? or is it a job to change the settings once home

DogDipstick said:
My Grin TCDM bb is awesome..... makes the bike. Can gently give power at 5-6A all day and leave me pedaling nicely up / down any hills. Not hard to setup, pretty much turnkey, didnt mess with or tune much.

Your torque sensor is connected to a CycleAnalyst computer, right?

How does it respond to initial force - from a stop, you step hard on the pedal. Does it power up that instant, or does it kick in after the crank starts to move?

jonnybee_123 said:
Sounds like exactly what I want from mine !
So you can peddle with the ' power assist ' set to say 5a for example ,then can I use the throttle to get my full power the controller is set to ? YES
Also can you change how much power is put out from using the tourque sensor while out riding ? or is it a job to change the settings once home YES and NO: i use a pair of AUX inputs, and one dials my amps for any ride time. I use this if the PAS is taking to much power, when set hard to 8A-10A, it is sometimes to much, so I turn it down a little.. you can also do this by going through the menu: but this takes about 2 min to toggle through the settings.... On the Aux2 dial, I can give 1-10A at will. I usually sit from 3-5A at the 80v I run.

donn said:
Your torque sensor is connected to a CycleAnalyst computer, right? Yes, CAv3, running firmware 3.14 version.

How does it respond to initial force - from a stop, you step hard on the pedal. Does it power up that instant, or does it kick in after the crank starts to move? Takes a little rotational movement to kick in, but then kicks in very smoothly, and applies power to the wheel in a nice proportional to the input force, ( pedaling) output power. Gentle, and will motor harder if you pedal harder. Really makes the bike. Pedalling wasnt fun with the Bafan PAS system.. now it is again. YOu can stand on the pedal if it is not turning, no power out. Turn it 1/8 of a turn, it kicks in. 1/4 turn, and with a little weight on the pedal, and it kicks in a little harder. Pedal hard, and it follows suit. Very easy to setup, in fact the CA3 has presets that you just choose from and it works out the box.

DogDipstick said:
YOu can stand on the pedal if it is not turning, no power out.

That's what I've heard, but I had to ask because it seems so improbable. Thanks for confirming. Makes it useless for recumbent bicycles.

donn said:
DogDipstick said:
YOu can stand on the pedal if it is not turning, no power out.

That's what I've heard, but I had to ask because it seems so improbable. Thanks for confirming. Makes it useless for recumbent bicycles.

Why is that? I would think that most of the time one is on a bicycle, and not on the seat, you are standing on a pedal. When not cranki9ngt, at rests, the motor doesnt power.... it is the combo of tq. and cranking that triggers the CA to do its thing... and throttle the motor.? Isnt this good for bikes? how is it not good for recumbent, mind me asking?

DogDipstick said:
how is it not good for recumbent, mind me asking?

On a recumbent, one one hand, of course you don't stand on a pedal, and on the other hand, you can't stand on a pedal.

Once you get it going, it's the best ride there is - beats anything - but that first couple of seconds is a little tricky. You have to take your feet off the ground, and before you fall over you have to get your feet up into position on the pedals and get the bicycle moving fast enough to balance. In the normal case I manage OK most of the time, but on my electric, the extra weight makes it extra hard.

Or it would if I weren't able to use the motor, but of course I can, and that completely resolves this problem. I can use the motor because it's controlled with a thumb throttle, not a stupid torque sensor setup that doesn't respond to torque!

donn said:
DogDipstick said:
how is it not good for recumbent, mind me asking?

the extra weight makes it extra hard.

Or it would if I weren't able to use the motor, but of course I can,

Yeah any throttle turning over rides the PAS sensor setting on the CA3... so if you are PAS-ing along, and throttle, the throttle takes over... or... you can throttle away and then begin pedaling and PAS-ing, and when you stop turning the throttle the PAS will take over. It doesnt do anything unless it se turning and pushing.. the PAS system....

hope this helps describe the system. :)

Back