Townie Go / Sram Service.... seriously guys.. come on !

First post!

I have the exact same problem that the original poster had, I need a replacement battery charger for a sram battery on my 2014 Towie bike.

I am guessing it's the charger, the battery is still charged and runs the bike as it always did.

When I plug the charger into the wall outlet the red light comes on but when plugged into the sram battery the light stays red and does not charge the battery. The last time I unplugged the charger from the battery I pulled up on the chargers plug as I pulled it out and broke off some of the plastic plug.

I am wondering what battery charger from LBS worked as posted in the last post in this thread?

My Bike:
2014 Electra Townie

SRAM Battery:
The charging port requires a 3 prong connection exactly like the one pictured in this thread, that is not like any standard plug.

Battery Charger:
Li-Ion
Model # HPO180WL3
Input: 100-240 Vac- 60/50Hz 2.5A
Output: 36VDC/4A (3A)

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

A 2014 lithium battery is highly suspect, even if the immediate problem is the charger.

Ya, I was reading that 2-4 years is the expected life of a Li-Ion battery.

It was my recently passed Dad's bike that has worked perfectly up until yanking the charger plug out of the battery at an angle.

If a new battery is the answer does evrything else in the electric drive line need to upgraded too. I would like to keep the bike.

msiert said:
It was my recently passed Dad's bike that has worked perfectly up until yanking the charger plug out of the battery at an angle.

Sounds like you need to open it up and replace the plug as necessary.

https://ebikes.ca/learn/connectors.html

I opened things up, 1st picture is the battery charger, the 2nd is the battery control wires. The 3rd picture is the charging socket on the battery.

The charger has white, black and yellow wires running to the charger plug. The battery has black, red and a yellow wire to its charging port.

Taking that the charger's white wire is the positive line?

Guessing might need to replace both of the existing connections on the charger and the battery, if I can't find a connector to match the battery socket?

I have done some small soldering repairs in the past on my wife's laptop and various electrical repairs with success.

I'm I heading in the right direction?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 434
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 434
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 434
If you don't have a multimeter, you're getting ahead of yourself.

I do have a multimeter, to check for continuity to trace which wire goes to which prong?

Or other tests?

Continuity, polarity, voltage, and where the voltage is cut off.

You really need to check the voltages of the cell groups to see if they're reasonably well balanced.

Thanks Chaio

A man has to know his limitations, found a bike shop that specializes in electric bike repairs and modifications they are actually showing interest in finding out what is wrong, said would check the battery and charger and go from there.

Back