Tricky Throttle

upward

1 W
I have a MXUS DD Kit from cellman and a half-twist throttle. The bike shop accidentally damaged the throttle so it made a "crunchy" noise when twisting. I decided to ride it home on the lows setting of the three way switch (15 mph). I hopped off the bike and released the throttle but the cruise control somehow activated and the bike went vertical with my hands on the handlebars. Luckily I was able to flip the off switch on the controller with my thumb before the bike launched. I used the "kill switch" to deactivate the cruise control whenever I needed to slow down on the way home.
Lesson #1: Not a good idea to drive home with a damaged throttle. Thank goodness I wasn't at full power.

So I switched out the throttle with a spare when I got home and went for a test ride. Funny enough, the cruise button was not working and the bike would engage cruise control when I held the throttle activated for more than 2 seconds. This is a pretty unrelaxing way to ride having to know that you have to not only release the throttle but also push another button to disengage the throttle. I actually did my 20 mile commute to work and my 20 mile return trip that way. No fun not knowing if you can stop in time. So when I got home, I ripped off half a roll of duct tape from my bike to get to the wires, disconnected the throttle connectors and plugged them back in. The connector with five pins didn't want to go in well. After inspection, one of the pins was bent and wasn't engaging. I bent it back gently with a screwdriver and the connector ends fitted much better. Went for a test ride and everything is working great again. Cruise button works, throttle disengages when I release it. What a relief.
Lesson #2: One bent pin can make a heck of a difference in the functioning of the whole bike. Plug connectors in carefully and enjoy.

Time to order a couple more spare throttles from cellman. Maybe that fanless 120w 58.4v 1.8a LiFePO4charger also. And an extra 7speed freewheel.

upward said:
Time to order a couple more spare throttles from cellman. Maybe that fanless 120w 58.4v 1.8a LiFePO4charger also. And an extra 7speed freewheel.
Might as well order an ebike tester, too.
A nifty gadget that you hope you will never use...

If you don't have them, also order some motor/controller connectors for phase/hall + throttle as well to add to the tester (extend tester wiring a bit) so it matches your build - allows you to do tests in just a few minutes without messing with alligator clips.

How to use...
PDF How-To...

Back