TSDZ2 + Larry vs Harry Bullitt (2017)

Fiytre

1 µW
Greetings! This is a great community and hope one of you have some insight.

I've bit the Bullitt :D and picked up my dream cargo bike! It's a 2017 Larry vs Harry which many in this forum have electrified to great success. I picked up a TSDZ2 kit, with @casainho OS software loaded, installed a temp sensor, and even swapped out the blue gear for a metal gear because I know the load is greater with myself, bike, kids, and cargo!

Essentially - I'm building my dream bike.... BUT

The motor does not fit without modification and I'm concerned that if I dremel or sand material off of the motor... it still may not fit!

I've added a number of pictures that show the motor pushed through as far as it will go clockwise and counter-clockwise and it's still not clear where I should remove material to make this work. If you folks have any suggestions... I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Counter-clockwise
79325996-A6F0-455C-A0EF-CAD8A2C95EB1.jpeg

Clockwise (sorry about rotated pic!)
5BD796B8-4B1A-4150-AC87-3C87EA2B62B6.jpeg

Can you take some more pictures, I cant tell is from a slightly off angle but it looks about 5 degrees down from where the centerline of the issue is. Based off of what I see, youd have to shave the outer casing. this is WAYYYY more desirable than shaving the frame.

see my red lines on your image.

Edit: add masking tape to electronics and any openings that arent getting cut to reduce the liklihood of metal shavings getting inside. Again, take more pictures so we can get a better side profile thats level, and finally, measure thrice cut once.

Fiytre said:
I've bit the Bullitt :D and picked up my dream cargo bike! It's a 2017 Larry vs Harry which many in this forum have electrified to great success. I picked up a TSDZ2 kit, with @casainho OS software loaded, installed a temp sensor, and even swapped out the blue gear for a metal gear because I know the load is greater with myself, bike, kids, and cargo!

The motor does not fit without modification and I'm concerned that if I dremel or sand material off of the motor... it still may not fit!
I hope you get it, I had to sand TSDZ2 cases as also bike frames to be able to install it on some full suspension MTBs.

I really like the Bullitt, maybe someday I will buy it :)

Also I would start to use the blue gear to see if it holds or not that load since our firmware is better on that than the original one. Because the blue gear is way more silent, that is the main advantage (yes, it is also quite lighter).

If you can, please take some nice pictures of the build and notes, send me and I will put on the wiki that will work as inspiration to other new users :)

casainho said:
Fiytre said:

I hope you get it, I had to sand TSDZ2 cases as also bike frames to be able to install it on some full suspension MTBs.

I really like the Bullitt, maybe someday I will buy it :)

Also I would start to use the blue gear to see if it holds or not that load since our firmware is better on that than the original one. Because the blue gear is way more silent, that is the main advantage (yes, it is also quite lighter).

If you can, please take some nice pictures of the build and notes, send me and I will put on the wiki that will work as inspiration to other new users :)

I asked many people for help, but I was unable to speak with anyone that successfully installed the TSDZ2 on a newer Bullitt. Based on what I've read in this forum, the older Bullitt's (<2017) had a bottom bracket that allowed the install with minimal modification. The BB on the newer Bullitt's seems to have a stronger and more reinforced BB area with additional thicker aluminum welded to the transition between the BB and the square tubing extending into the cargo area. So..... long story short..... I've sent the motor back and won't be able to install it. It is very sad, because my friend has a TSDZ2 on his Cetma cargo bike and it works beautifully!

If someone has advice to install it without sanding or modifying the frame, please let me know! I will pick up the TDZ2 in a hearbeat and install your (@casainho) awesome open source firmware on the bike!

.... Thanks!

HazEbike said:
Can you take some more pictures, I cant tell is from a slightly off angle but it looks about 5 degrees down from where the centerline of the issue is. Based off of what I see, youd have to shave the outer casing. this is WAYYYY more desirable than shaving the frame.

see my red lines on your image.

Edit: add masking tape to electronics and any openings that arent getting cut to reduce the liklihood of metal shavings getting inside. Again, take more pictures so we can get a better side profile thats level, and finally, measure thrice cut once.

I measured thrice and checked many times..... I just didn't see how the motor could be installed without shaving a significant part of the motor. The newer Bullitts have a BB that's more built-up underneath, which leads to less clearance. When I moved the motor clockwise, I would have to completely cut into the motor housing. When the motor was rotated CCW, it seemed almost possible, but I would need to precision grind off the left and right mounts (as seen in the pic) and the motor's location would be about 3/8" from the tire.... cutting it CLOSE.

So, I haven't figured out the motor solution and really want a torque driven motor! I'm between a rock and a hard place, especially since I'm not willing to see if it works as a $500 experiment. If I knew for sure what to do, I would be ALL in....

Does anyone have any thoughts? Really appreciate the feedback!

Here’s a more straight on pic. This view is as close as I can bring the motor spindle through the BB before the motor mounts hit the frame. It’s rotated counter clockwise.

79CC75B6-45B3-48A0-9543-DC755047CD32.jpeg

Here’s the motor rotated clockwise, but I would need to remove too much of the motor housing to push it all the way through the BB. I marked up the area of the BB/Frame that seems to be more reinforced which is preventing the motor from being installed. This welded and reinforced area appears thicker than previous Bullitts (<2017) based on the pics I’ve seen in this forum and the web.

EAE0BADE-14B7-45B0-8099-4B3D13A92E0D.jpeg

Fiytre said:
Here’s a more straight on pic. This view is as close as I can bring the motor spindle through the BB before the motor mounts hit the frame. It’s rotated counter clockwise.

I've done a shave like this.
You can shave from motor casing yes, but you can also shave from the bottom of the axle that you push through, and if the inserts are replacable even the bb of your bike. Since the axle you push through doesn't rotate, it has an axle inside it, you can shave all you want as long as you keep it straight.

Also, if rotating the other way, it is just a bolt holder loop that is in the way, you could sacrifice it and use a jb weld blob on the outside to hold it togheather. You would remove it with a hammer and screwdriver if you want to open it.

Back