TSDZ2 OSF for all displays, VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18, LCD3, 860C-850C-SW102.

If I understand well you have flashed the controller with OSF for stock display (vlcd5)
That version will never work with an SW102 flashed bootloader.
For that you need the 860C controller version.

An torque range of 190 is more as reasonable, it means you have a very sensitive torquesensor.
Are you sure you have enabled calibration and estimated?
Yes, while trying to get the SW102 to work, I flashed the controller with 850C set as display. I did switch it back once I gave up on the SW102 and reinstalled the VLCD5.
I described what I did to make the SW102 work, as it might've broken something unbeknownst to me.

The last settings used are as follows, and it provides no assist, except for walk-assist.
1689578558204.png

You can't use a flashed SW102, with the java version.
You must flash the specific controller version for 860C.
Only an SW102, 850C or other displays which are specific made for Tsdz2 stock FW can work with Java version of OSF.

About you torquesensor values. Are your sure the values are right?
Because that range of 178 is imho very large. Without calibration it is about 160. So even without calibration you should have enough power. But if your range is a lot less than 178, the torquesensor will be unresponsive.

Last edited:
You can't use a flashed SW102, with the java version.
You must flash the specific controller version for 860C.
Only an SW102, 850C or other displays which are specific made for Tsdz2 stock FW can work with Java version of OSF.
Yes, I realised that - but since I couldn't get the bootloader on the SW102 to work, I could not flash any firmware onto the SW102. This is why I went back to using the stock VLCD5 again.

About you torquesensor values. Are your sure the values are right?
Because that range of 178 is imho very large. Without calibration it is about 160. So even without calibration you should have enough power. But if your range is a lot less than 178, the torquesensor will be unresponsive.
I believe they are right, yes. I used the Level1 E04 values from the VLCD5 on zero weight, and 80kg of weight and got those values (14.2 and 32.0 respectively).

Unfortunately, calibration or not - pedal assist does not work. Do you have any idea on how to troubleshoot this?

@falke
You can try "cadence only" mode from display (level2, E04), to see if the torquesensor could be the case.
But if you can read these torque values with calibration mode, I don't think that sensor is the case.
There are no error codes on display?
Otherwise you can try the motor with error ignoring mode (Level4 E04).

Last edited:
@Elinx
Tried cadence-mode just to sanity check, no luck. Are there any safety interlocks that might get triggered but not shown on the VLCD5? I'm not sure how to continue troubleshooting this. Will try the error-ignoring mode tomorrow.
It doesn't seem like this is an often experienced problem with the TSDZ2

@Elinx
Tried cadence-mode just to sanity check, no luck. Are there any safety interlocks that might get triggered but not shown on the VLCD5? I'm not sure how to continue troubleshooting this. Will try the error-ignoring mode tomorrow.
It doesn't seem like this is an often experienced problem with the TSDZ2
I see in your configuration that you have brake sensor enabled. Are the brake sensors connected and working? Maybe try with this disabled.

I am about to install a temperature sensor, and I wonder how to show the temperature on vlcd6, if possible? I guess I need to flash the firmware with temperature sensor option selected also

....show the temperature on vlcd6..... I need to flash the firmware with temperature sensor option selected ....
Yes, that is the only way.
Also you must enable data value 0 in "Advanced settings" tab

Yes, that is the only way.
Also you must enable data value 0 in "Advanced settings" tab
Also what would I press on the display to show temperature? I still have not figured out the buttons really

Edit: understood this now as well, tried to configure it to show two values, first temp then voltage on lights on.

Last edited:
I see in your configuration that you have brake sensor enabled. Are the brake sensors connected and working? Maybe try with this disabled.
Brake sensors work as expected; cutting power on walk-assist when activated.

I might have found the issue; it seems the cadence-sensor is not working as expected. The Casainho-repo FAQ alludes to the cadence-sensor being the culprit: FAQ
It turns out that when outputting data-element 7 (pedal cadence rpm) it is always zero, regardless of pedaling - this might be the issue.
Considering one of two ways:
- Circumventing cadence in emmebrusa firmware (similar: I broke my cadence sensor, workaround in software · Issue #129 · OpenSourceEBike/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike)
- Replacing the 2x hall-effect sensors with similar. Is there any information on what specific components are used?

Hello !

Sorry if my question is going to seem stupid to you... But I have a doubt!

I read a lot of Wikis I could find here, I read many threads, there is a lot of information available.

I know how to install the firmware v20.1C for stocks displays (VLCD5 - XH18 - VLCD6) without any problem, using the Java configurator.
This is ok to me...

But I don't understand what is the method to install the other version for 850c-860c-sw102 displays?
There is no method in the archives I downloaded, and no installation manual.

I found the manuals for the display configuration, but I can't find the method to install the firmware in the controller or the display.
I suspect I need to use the ST_Toolset program, but is there a step-by-step "how to" manual or anything else?

Thanks for your help !

Brake sensors work as expected; cutting power on walk-assist when activated.

I might have found the issue; it seems the cadence-sensor is not working as expected. The Casainho-repo FAQ alludes to the cadence-sensor being the culprit: FAQ
It turns out that when outputting data-element 7 (pedal cadence rpm) it is always zero, regardless of pedaling - this might be the issue.
Considering one of two ways:
- Circumventing cadence in emmebrusa firmware (similar: I broke my cadence sensor, workaround in software · Issue #129 · OpenSourceEBike/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike)
- Replacing the 2x hall-effect sensors with similar. Is there any information on what specific components are used?
The cadence sensor is integrated into the controller.
Try setting torque assist mode and enable Assist with error.

Hello, First off thank you so much for this osf I love the ride i get and have fun trying different settings. I am not great with computers but I am trying to learn. I had been running the same setting for the past month or so and yesterday I went to try some new ones. I could not get the configurator to and apparently had downloaded the zip a few times and I unzipped the master program and it works fine. my only issue is all the settings I had tried out before were not in the configurator. I found them but I don't know how to take these to the configurator. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you all again for this osf, you are all amazing. I just got a Arduino and can barley figure out hot to make a led blink on the breadboard so please explain like you would to a slow 5 year old. Screenshot (2).png

On my display the battery current peaks at about 12 amps at 41 V, which is 500W. I guess this is due to the default 500W ”battery power max” setting.

What is the max advisable to run on a 36V motor? I would like more power if possible, maybe up to 16 amps which would be around 650W. Since I have a temperature sensor now there should be no risk of heat damage

Hi All -this is a fantastic resource and appreciate the knowledge and experience on here. I have been using TSDZ2's more 3 yrs now and find them absolutley brilliant BUT.... I have a few questions and apologies if they have already been covered on here but just need a few pointers if possible.
I have 3 motors on different bikes, all same OSF version but programmed on different PC's (due to one failing) I have VLCD6 displays 48v 6pin systems. I used Java Configurator to flash
1) Is there a way using the Java Configurator to read & save the current motor controller settings (reason to check and compare)?
2) I have one motor that does not perform as well as the other two (I suspected but wasn't able to confirm until I had a contoller blow so tried the working contorller/OSF in both motors which were also swapped to the same bike, As the controller settings were obviusly the same, one motor was significantly weaker than the other) Can I check the current torque sensor callibration for each motor using configurator or can this be done with VLCD6 display?
3) Can I claibrate the torque sensor if I have a VLCD6 display (how do I do it) and would I be able to compare the good motors to the poor one ?

@Sgarth

1 Yes, with java configurator your settings are saved in "experimental settings" folder each time you hit "compile and flash"
2 Yes, read the manual how to do this with Level2 E04
3 Yes, same answer as 2, but after checking change zero, max value with java configurator and flash again.

For Vlcd6 this isn't the easiest way to do this all, because you have to push "down" button for 2 seconds everytime, which need a lot of patience.
In javaconfigurator try to change the setting "Time to menu items (0.1 s)" to 70 instead of 50, so there is some more time available.

@Sgarth

1 Yes, with java configurator your settings are saved in "experimental settings" folder each time you hit "compile and flash"
2 Yes, read the manual how to do this with Level2 E04
3 Yes, same answer as 2, but after checking change zero, max value with java configurator and flash again.

For Vlcd6 this isn't the easiest way to do this all, because you have to push "down" button for 2 seconds everytime, which need a lot of patience.
In javaconfigurator try to change the setting "Time to menu items (0.1 s)" to 70 instead of 50, so there is some more time available.
Wow. Thank you for such a quick response..re Q1, problem I have is I don't have the same laptop anymore so don't have the original folder with saved settings. Unless I misunderstood, I'm trying to extract the current flashed controller configurations to then save for re-use or then potentially re-load as a saved settings for comparison between the two.(if that makes sense)

Re Q2&3. Thank you, I will go back, re read and give it a try.

I am absolutely loving the Hybrid mode, experimented and done a few tweaks to the startup boost setting and its amazingly good. They are now setup perfectly for the way we use. Just want to make the 3rd TDSZ2 perform as well as the other two.

Much appreciated and many thanks again

....I'm trying to extract the current flashed controller configurations to then save for re-use or then potentially re-load as a saved settings for comparison between the two.(if that makes sense)
The current settings can be saved and restored with ‘ST Visual Programmer’
You have to save the 3 files: program memory, data memory and option byte.
Open each tab once and hit "save as"
Same for restore these 3 files again.

For info see this

How to install tsdz2 display firmware for bafang sw102 5pin.
I referred to, but since Windows is TBD, I had no choice but to install Ubuntu. I've never used linux, so I'm not sure what exactly Run "make" is.

The current settings can be saved and restored with ‘ST Visual Programmer’
You have to save the 3 files: program memory, data memory and option byte.
Open each tab once and hit "save as"
Same for restore these 3 files again.

For info see this
Thank you. That's the only way I could think off as well but just wondered if configurator was able to do this as the values are easier to understand in the way they are locially laid out. Appreciate the response

Back