Turnigy nano-tech 12800mah

VoKuS

100 W
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21944__Turnigy_nano_tech_12800mah_2S_40_80C_Lipo_Pack_TRA2875_Summit_E_Revo_E_Maxx_compatible_.html

21944.jpg

Spec.
Capacity: 12800mAh
Voltage: 2S1P / 2 Cell / 7.4V
Discharge: 40C Constant / 80C Burst
Weight: 614g (including plug & case)
Dimensions: 154 x 42 x 45mm
Discharge Plug: TRX plug
Price: $73.80

Uhhh..... wow!

Looks like 2s2P from the bumps.. ( they do sell 6400mAh cells.. )

Nope. :lol:

That's why they don't make multiply paralleled packs, as much as I would love them to. Basically the tabs get so hot from the high currents they'd pop. The only way they can make a respectable sized pack is to use solid copper bus.

I reckon this pack would deliver a hundred amps, no more. Anything more than 2P would need some seriously big series connections.

However, I reckon I got a good system for making Turnigy LiPo packs of any size now, and they should be good for 400A bursts, 200 A continuous. Will let you all know when they are done :)

4p would be real cool, but obviously they would have to be "rated" for discharges the tabs could tolerate. But each tab would only be taking the power one pouch puts out. The blob of solder on the other hand, that could liquify I suppose.

I'd just like to see some 2p 1s, 3p 1s, etc in nice cheap 20c pouches for "normal ebike" use.

Yes, I have to believe we are at least a marginal number of their sales simply because we don't buy one pack, we buy 8one or more at a time!

As comfortable as it'd be buying a ready made 10Ah pack, I don't like the idea of removing duds in one.

Problem remain the size of the cable per (Ah x C rate)...

So they offer 12 gauge cable forcontinuous 500A :roll: dont make any sense!

I would preffer 4Ah with 12 AWG cable...

Guys.. zillion amp with so small cable is useless...

At least, for the total continuous amp the pack they offer should have minimum 8 or 6 AWG.

Ex, for same similar burst operation, all your car satarter are using 4 or 2 AWG cable.... for 300-1000A

Doc

Oh.. sorry,

Maybe they changed their process and now they are offering fuse directly coupled to a connector :mrgreen:

These 12 AWG are .. just fuse :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Doc

What a hell of a problem to have. Must really suck to have cells who's discharge capacity exceeds the wires by so much.

Would like to see the vid though, of somebody actually discharging one at the rated amps.

miuan said:
As comfortable as it'd be buying a ready made 10Ah pack, I don't like the idea of removing duds in one.

Yup. Same problem with those 10S packs. That's why i like the smaller 5AH stuff.

If you want 10S-12S packs or even 10AH, you can make your own. Properly balance + discharge test the batteries.. when you know they're solid, permanently connect them in series or parallel, and boom, you have simplified your wiring.

29_betterparallel2.jpg

You get the same effect as buying 10AH stuff. 5AH is still the cheapest and most mass-produced size.
I wish i could find some shrinkwrap so i could make true siamese twins.. connect them in series or parallel at the board level.. :)

dogman said:
What a hell of a problem to have. Must really suck to have cells who's discharge capacity exceeds the wires by so much.

Would like to see the vid though, of somebody actually discharging one at the rated amps.

Right? it would make more sense for this to consist of 30C cells. I doubt that wire could transfer 360A though, lol.

You can still get wonderful performance by overrating the C of a cell for a particular application. You will get more voltage drop from the wire itself than the batteries.. kinda funny..

Why I think 2p 1s, 3p 1s, etc would be nice. Build a pack with nothing but easy as pie series connections. Weed out a single pack when it loses capacity.

You'd want some kind of board or adapter to plug all the balance wires into, so you can monitor with a cellog 8.

If you did a parallel pack, you could just parallel the balance leads permanently.
A 10 amp hour pack would be easy to do this with. 15AH or more would be another story, you'd have to extend the wires, or daisy chain from board to boardthem a la 'lipo centipede' :lol: Balancing current is so low ( under 1 amp ) that parallel current sharing would be a non-issue.

I think i will end up doing something like this with my 15C zippies. Bit nervous about doing the surgery, however i will cut my wiring in 1/3rd.. may even drop a pound off the 30AH 12S battery weight doing it.

Maybe I'm writing it unclearly. What I mean is I'd like to see HK produce cheap 10,15 and 20 ah packs that are 4.2v. So in effect, you'd have a 20c 20 ah hardcase pack that is 1s. You'd buy 14 packs for 48v, 20 for 72v, etc. When a pack has a problem, you replace just one pack. No fussing with any paralell connections. Series only. No paralell adapters first before series.

Just today that I wonder why no one has opened a lipo, taken off the board, made a custom board and done just that dogman. I mean, a 6s 5ah 20c turnigy is connected in series with its tabs and a board, but you could remove the board and make one to hook them in parallel without even really removing the shrink wrap. You could make yourself a 6s1p battery that way with minimal effort, couldn't you? Even just proto board and a dremel and you could redo the tabs as well as the board from HK, I remember thinking when AJ opened and squashed his puffed cell, I think that's where I saw the inside of the HK lip and thought of taking it all apart and redoing the boards because their connections are nothing special.

I was considering it, then realized that you'd also have to unstick the packs, because they are stacked + to -, and that tape is reallllllly sticky. There are methods for peeling em, but I haven't worked out the technique yet.

I have some dead cell packs around, so I could experiment some once I get a little torch for unsoldering the packs. 6 - 2p packs would be ideal for my mower.

The main thing that bothers me about lipo, is my previous dorking around with them has resulted in these big awkward tangles of balance wire adapters. 1s packs would balance nicely, once in a blue moon, on my pair of little b6 chargers.

About redoing the boards.. i've found that there is a special solder used that i don't have. My lead-based solder won't stick to it. I heard you need a special flux to make solder stick to the aluminum tabs.. so far my flux and lead solder won't do the trick - it just rolls right off.

That's why i'll be doing the ghetto 'lipo centipede' trick when i make my 15AH bricks. I will post pics in another thread when the time comes.

And yeah, that tape that sticks the cells together is a PITA to get apart. I feel like i could damage the packs even using a credit card to break them apart.. no bueno

hah, so as is usual there are valid reasons I was not aware of. Haha... well so much for that idea.

Back