Turnigy Rotomax 50cc Speed Control Options?

wepoo

1 µW
I have a Hobbyking Turnigy Rotomax 50cc Brushless Sensorless motor for a Razor Crazy Cart I am modifying.
Having gone online shopping with more enthusiasm than knowledge, I also bought a Kelly Controller KBL 36v 100A.
I don't think the controller is going to cut it. Only 100A (motor states 120A and higher ESC recommended) and low eRPM for this motor.

The Turnigy Rotomax 50cc seems a good motor since it is a perfect physical fit for the stock front forks.
Calculating the RPM it seems to be a reasonable motor for my gearing and top speed hopes.

However the Turnigy Rotomax 50cc is a high speed, 24 pole motor. It may get up towards 100,000eRPM
172kv*36v = 6192RPM (Possibly overvolting as I have read it runs well at higher volts)
6192RPM * 12PolePairs [24poles, correct?] = 74,304eRPM

The Kelly controller is rated to 40,000eRPM and the ultra-high speed option (I'd have to buy another one!) maxing out at 100,000eRPM.

Since the Rotomax 50cc is Sensorless, I'd be running it as that for now.
I might add sensors later but only if I decide it'd be beneficial.

My main questions are:
Does eRPM only relate to Sensored Controllers?
- Should I just connect it up and see how it goes, sensorless, once I have them in hand?
- Will something just die? What would I monitor for fault? Controller / motor heat?

What controller would you recommend for this motor in a go-kart (150A, 36v+, Option for sensored operation later)?
- Considered a Castle Creations 160HV but haven't found much info on it for the EV operation and eRPM.
- Considering some of my long drives, regen would be great.
- I also have a 3000W Cyclone e-Bike motor for a bike build and a Rotomax 100cc (They had a sale..!) 50v 250A 100,000+eRPM.
Would be nice to have the option to swap out an expensive controller between rides/drives but the cart doesn't need to consider ESC size as much as a bike might.

A solution with what I have bought (+/- a new controller this one is low on the amps anyway) would be nice but if not what motor / controller combo might be best?

The old motor (24v, 250W MY1016) is going in the bin.
12C4CA03-8919-4D1B-B1AA-BFA3B32BF107.jpeg

I am modifying the Crazy Cart with the Turnigy Rotomax 50cc Brushless and need to know about a Speed Controller that suits high eRPM (100,000eRPM) or if Sensorless operation isn’t affected by high ERPM.

Back