Turning down 9 amp Ping Charger?

I am out on the road with the new Atlas (pics in the build thread). I had 25 Ah of battery but right before I left I sold 10 Ah to a friend that really needed it (disabled vet). I have a 9 amp Ping charger that I was using to quick charge the 25 Ah, I gave my Soneil 3.5 to my friend also. Side note; the Soneil is still running since I bought it in 2009 and has only needed a fan replaced in all that time. Anyways I can't charge the 15 Ah Ping with 9 amp charger. Can I use the tuning pot to turn it down to 5 amps? I once turned up a 5 amp Ping charger way too far (10 amps) and it blew up. Will the same thing happen going in the opposite way? I will just buy more battery when I get to Maine in a few weeks but I am doing a summer tour with the bike promoting electric transportation and building bikes where I can. Thanks a lot guys....

Yes but I noticed some swelling after charging the 15 Ah Ping with the 9 amp charger. Scared me...

I can't understand why turning one down would be bad for it, but the question is how much range does the wattage pot have?

I'd say turn it down as much as it can. Getting down to 6 amps is plausible. For all I know they can be turned down to 1 amp. I really don't know. I have only twiddled one up or down 100w or so.

I have found limits to the voltage pots range.

Ya dogman I thought 6 amp would be good. what I did for now is use my icharger to charge both halves in parallel. That way I can get a good balance on them. Almost didn't bring the icharger. Thanks I was in a panic.

First off if you want to trade my 2.5 ping for your 9 amp charger, I'm game...LOL just kidding.
If it is a king pan charger like the one's I have than there are 2 trim pots one for voltage and one for current. So you are going to need a voltmeter and a current meter to trim it down to the voltage and current you want. I use a turnigy watt meter good only to 60v though to tune up the charger to my needs. Currently use both king pan chargers one at work and one at home to fill up my 12 lipo batteries... :p

Back