Twin Motors - What controller?

dumbass

100 kW
Quick update....I have been doing a mod on my EZip to relocate the motor from the right side axle to the "V" area. I also installed a Nuvinci CVS hub plus added a second motor. I was planning to add a freewheel to each motor but decided to wait with that for now. But there is a freewheel on the Nuvinci to protect the crank gear. To achieve the required gear ratio I have a jack shaft between the motors and the Nuvinci hub. The jack shaft also has a freewheel to protect the motors.

I was going to use 2 Currie 24v 35a (standard controllers for this bike). I designed it this way so I could turn off one motor or the other and It would also allow me to have different gear ratios for each motor. However, as I said I have decided to wait on this portion of the project. Therefore, I think it would be better to use a single 48v controller.

My question is (yeah, I know...finally :!: :roll: ).....Because a single motor is normally controlled with a 24v 35a controller what do I use for the 2 motors that will be wired in series? Do I use a 48v 35a or a 48v 70a controller? Remember a single motor normally runs on 24v 35a. These are brushed motors.

John in CR said:
If they're wired in series, then how are you going to be able to turn one off?

What I said was "I was going to use 2 controllers and have freewheels on each motor to run seperately". Key word "WAS". But am now thinking of just running them in series and using a 48v controller. therefore, of course they can not be turnned off independently.

Back