Unusual hall problem,due to controller KU63 :workaround

I tested the hall sensor ,disconnected from the controller, with a multimeter, it seem to work: i measure 0 or 5v on the sensor wires, which switch (0 and 5v) as soon as i move the wheel backward. So it seem to work properly.

Before connecting the hall sensor, i have a 5v on both throttle and hall sensor power lines: when i connect the sensor, after few seconds, it became instable, and i measure on the hall power line from 0 to 5v, and on the throttle line from 3 to 5v. so also the throttle power became unstable, but few than the hall power.

after disconnecting the pas and the brake i didint experience this problem anymore (but i didint test it for a long time, nor on the street); now i'm rewiring everything, because i found one pas wire damaged.

tomorrow i'll connect everything and we will see: if it works, it was a short on the pas which overload the 5v power, if it doesn't works it means that my controller has some problem and cant provide enough current for pas+throttle+hall+brake, so i'll have to check the 7805 regulator as suggested by Fechter.

Ok, i'm almost sure i have a problem whith the 5v power supply: if i connect the hall sensor, after few seconds, i have the usual failure in the 5v line; so i disconnected everithing (pas, hall and brakes) and i let connected just the throttle and phases, and i run the motor, while measuring the 5v line of the throttle with a multimeter.
In this way it seemed me to work fine, except from some power failure which happened sometimes, but which last just for a moment, and if i let the throttle and then push it again it works: i thought it was due to the lacking of the hall sensor (even if in fact, my controller should work well sensorless) but checking the voltage with the multimeter i found out that this sudden failure are due to the instability of the power line (oscillating from 3 to 5v).

To better explain myself, my 5v always fails, but when the hall is connected the failure is irreversible until i power everything off and on, while if is connected just to the throttle, it fails, but after a moment it works again.

I tried to use(switching) the 3 power line i have (pas, throttle and hall), but they all behave the same, with a transient failure if connected to the throttle and a permanent failure if connected to the hall.

Next test will be to power every 5v line with an external 5v battery, this way maybe i'll be able to use the throttle without failure... we will see.

So i think i'll have to try to repair my controller 5v line (help would be really appreciated with this) or to buy another controller (maybe a better one which can use the pas and the throttle TOGETHER, since i live in Europe, can you suggest some controller with this characteristics?)

No luck using an external battery, my controller doenst like it and it doesnt work at all.

If a defective 78l05 is responsible for this transient failures, how can i test it (since the failure seems intermittent)? Can i replace it with a 7805 regulator(i already have) or some better one?

I have a lot of 12v to 5v converter (1A max, for usb charging), can i use one of this as power supply at least for the throttle and/or the pas?
in this way i couldn't use the hall sensor anymore, but it would be easier to do, since i'd just have to take the 14v line out from the lm317t (the 36v to 14v converter inside the controller), and connect pas or throttle + and - wires to this new power source, and the signal line to the controller: do you think it might work? this way i wouldnt have to unsolder anything on my controller, just to solder a couple of wires.

I've found the schematics of the ku63 controller, i dont know if i can post the link here, but it is easy to find googleing: solar bike KU63 .

It should work OK to use an external 5v regulator coming off the 12v or 14v inside the controller.
I have seen cases where the microprocessor went bad and was loading down the 5v supply. If you still have drop out with an external regulator, you might check the processor chip to see if it is getting hot. Normally it should not get warm.

Back