Upgraded Electric Frankenstein

moostrodamus

100 W
wide.jpg
Howdy All,

Well i got a few upgrades for my ride. a new 2806 9c motor, a set of "Big Apple" 2.15's as well as a new 52 tooth crank and a new 11 tooth high gear cassette.

crank.jpg
cassette.jpg

With my old mountain bike crank and cassette I was having a lot of trouble keeping up with the motor pedalling, Iegs looked a bit like the road runner leg blur. I was just a big slug on the bike after 40km/h. It adds a whole new dimension to the bike to assist the motor through its full speed range.

Went for a spin today with the new setup and was pedaling along real nice at 52km/h...go fast, get exercise, bike keeps getting better and better.

2806.jpg

Bike feels "different" with the new tires. We are supposed to have a nice week of weather so plan on riding to work. Should be a good test of all the new bits.

tire.jpg

Have to thank the crew here, pretty much every good idea I have gotten so far has come from here!

Ride On!

Moo

The roadie crankset is a great idea and should improve your range, since you can pedal at high speed.
Does the windshield cut your range much?

wheelbender6 said:
The roadie crankset is a great idea and should improve your range, since you can pedal at high speed.
Does the windshield cut your range much?

I will know better Monday when i do my ride to work, usually the Cycle Analyst said I use around 17-18 watts/km with the old setup, will be very interesting to see what I draw with the new motor and crank set. I am surprised how much I like pedaling the bike after just basically sitting on it with the old crank set.

I don't think the windshield cuts the range, the one unscientific test I did last fall showed a few KM/h increase in speed, which would suggest that the bike is more aerodynamic. I do know that it deflects the air around my hands and chest by a big amount. It makes a huge difference in comfort when it is colder.

Moo

Moostrodamus, can you tell me where you got that bike carrier box on the back ? I like it. Also, can you give me the dimensions?

Hey Moostrodamus,

Nice good close shot of the Big Apple; I've been looking at those and wishing :wink:

On the Windscreen, can you tell us make/model, and where you got that please? I too am also keen to learn whether this really extended your range or not.

Thanks a bunch!

morph999 said:
Moostrodamus, can you tell me where you got that bike carrier box on the back ? I like it. Also, can you give me the dimensions?

As I metioned in my PM, I got this "Flinger" box at Canadian Tire, and have seen them in local bike shops. I looked and saw them on Amazon.com too, but they were out of stock.

They are kind of contoured on the inside, but for fitting square stuff the usable space inside is about 7"X14"X8" high. At one point i managed to fit 5-12 amp SLA's In there but it was a tight fit. I can fit my 48V 20 ah Ping in there ok too.

Kingfish said:
Hey Moostrodamus,

Nice good close shot of the Big Apple; I've been looking at those and wishing :wink:

On the Windscreen, can you tell us make/model, and where you got that please? I too am also keen to learn whether this really extended your range or not.

Thanks a bunch!

Hey Kingfish

I got the Big apples here http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24556

Shipping was 24 bucks CND, took about a week to get here to toronto.

The windscreen model number is : ZZipper 88 MTNBKZZ fairing

Thats what is on the invoice anyway. You can buy them from Karl at www.zzipper.com

I dont know much about range, but makes a big difference in staying warm when it gets cold. Also DON'T buy this if you want a stealthy bike...EVERYONE stares at you (haha).

Wow Moo, that’s a great website for pricing on those Big Apples; good grief Hookworms and the Mavic EX729 Disc Rims too! Hmmm, must spend $50 more to get free shipping :D

Thanks for the link to ZZipper; good stuff!
Cheers! KF

will find magnet and let you know....has a Ebikes.ca torque arm on it, and i check the front dropouts every week no sign of wear or weakening but will check and let you know...must find magnet.....

Found magnet...dropouts are steel or some derivative thereof.

Back